• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your limit?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
  • I have a topic up for discussion that I found from an old old post I made back in 2008. I am not sure if this belongs here or in OC but feel free to move it about where you see fit.
    ----

If you made an important promise to someone you loved dearly, and they broke it, what would you do?

What if that person came back and told you that they would do anything to make it better? Would you take them back?

What if they didn't apologize, but you loved them so much that you wanted them back?

What would you say to them to make them realize they have hurt you badly? Or is it even worth talking to them anymore?

Do you think that Karma would "give them a taste of their own medicine" for hurting you in the end?

What are your thoughts?
    ---

I realize this is situation based, so give maybe a few situations if need be.(Example, if the important promise ranged from a deep secret about you, to "promise to never cheat on me," to revealing your private information to the public, etc.

Years
  • Generally, if someone betrayed me I'd forgive them if they were sorry and promised never to do something like that again. I don't think one action defines a person.

I suppose I'm like this because I'm afraid of loosing the relationships I have, and I don't like being hurt so I'm willing to allow some mistakes if overall I'm sparing myself the big hurt of a complete breakup (or end of any other relationship that means something to me). I'm not into cutting ties with people completely unless it's very painful or dangerous.

I dunno if I'm answering this correctly, but there it is.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I'm a forgiving person, and yeah, that's just it. I believe people do deserve second chances, but I also believe that things happen for a reason. If it happens once, okay, perhaps it was an error. But if it repeats, then obviously you learn more about a person as their true colors are shown. And unless that person is really good at deception, I'm pretty sure I'd realize something like that before I get too personally attached to said person.

Ayselipera

I don't even trust the people I "dearly love" so I kind of expect them to not hold their promises. So much so really that I don't bother telling anyone anything. If it was something like cheating where a personal secret of mine isn't involved I'd be pretty hurt and I'd probably be more likely to just try and forget about them overtime rather than forgive them. I would just rather move on without them than stick around them in anyway.

Small things though I kind of expect out of everyone. Most of the time I just let it go because I actually don't even care about that person to begin with to be too hurt when they end up "betraying me."

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
    Years
  • I'm extremely trusting and forgiving. I stay in cycles of abuse for that reason, and I used to a lot more tolerant before now. Sometimes now it is one strike and you're out (as far as out of me actually caring much about you anymore). It really depends on the person who hurts me.

It's easier to forgive people who I don't know as well, like a new lover or friend. But I will ALWAYS forgive.

Forgetting is not an option. Every cross word, broken promise, and lash across the face is remembered. I forgive because I can't hold a grudge, but the pain of remembrance is always still there.

Forgiveness does not mean that I still want to talk to someone. It means that I don't hate/wish things against them. Would I truly care if they died? Probably not on a personal level, no. I don't want them to die but their death wouldn't really faze me.

The person who comes to mind is my Grandma, who I used to regard as a hero. Now, I can't stand to be around her. I wish she'd go away out of my life forever (same for all the rest of my blood family actually). I think my family's deaths would almost be a relief. I can't imagine how much pain would be over if they'd somehow go all at once. It'd be like a weight lifted. I don't hate them, but that's honestly.......That's just the way they've made things. I forgive them, but I want to make them all a thing of my past.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm just going to use one of the most sacred promises someone can give out, and that is to remain in a committed relationship. So, with that said...

I would respond with silence. The best way to tell someone you're unspeakably upset with is to be unspeakable. If they apologized and truly meant it, I would forgive them, but I wouldn't take them back in that way again. It's possible that we can remain friends after we reconcile the problem, but once someone breaks that bond, I'll always remain skeptical of someone breaking it again.

I suppose I would take them back if I wanted them back enough, though. I just wouldn't trust them - they'd have to regain it all back - and remain very skeptical. But if that's the case, I'd really hope someone intervenes and points out how stupid I'm being. A relationship where you can't trust someone isn't much of a relationship at all and not at all healthy, if you ask me.

Though I'm very understanding and forgiving and trusting, I don't know if I'll be the same in cases like that. I've never really had that happen to me yet.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • I don't really trust people. I've only ever met a couple people who I trust with sensitive stuff. Even then, there's a lot I don't share because people change, and the person you trust now probably won't be the same later on.

That said, if a person does hurt me, I'll most likely forgive them after a time... and then cut them off. I have no room in my life for people who I don't like being around.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm a forgiving person. But like Kurui, I don't forget. I think for me it manifests somewhat differently though, kind of like...infractions on PC don't judge me for using this example. They expire over time but if you get enough of them, expired or not, you end up banned. So it's like when someone does something that hurts me that way, I would compare it to bad things they've done in the past and bad things they've done recently and that would affect my reaction to it. The short term would determine how angry I am at them in that moment, and the long term how worth it the relationship is.

Of course I lay it all out in logical terms here but it's just something that happens subconsciously in my head. Not like I decided to be like this, I just turned out this way haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I personally don't make promises. I don't know if I'm always strong enough to keep them, though I normally can but you never know what can happen, and I prefer not to risk making a promise and not being able to keep it down the road. Incidentally, I discourage people from promising things to me...it's even worse when they insist and they say, "No, I am going to promise you this" and it ends up getting broken, because I mean...they really, really wanted to make it a promise, so that implies they'd do anything to keep it. Bleh. Just don't make one, really...lol Though I'm a very forgiving person, so I mean, after a while, I'll have gotten over it. But that doesn't mean I'll have forgotten. I remember things like this rather well.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm forgiving enough, but I've noticed over the years that my forgiving kindness doesn't always translate well to the people who've hurt my feelings. A lot of people still end up treating me like a complete pushover because I am willing to look past a few things. However, lately, if someone is completely disrespectful to me more than once, then I'm done trying with them. I don't need to waste time wondering if people are going to one day wise up and treat me the way I treat them; if they're not going to be fair, they're not worth my time.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • My limit comes with repetition. If somebody wronged me, I would probably take them back - if they wronged me again, I would probably take them back again. But if they kept doing it on an on-going basis, I'd eventually reach my breaking point and have no choice but to let them go. But as Scarf said, one action doesn't define a person, so I'd have to make absolutely sure that this was not a person worth having in my life before I cast them aside. I'm generally too forgiving for my own good, so I hope that doesn't make me a doormat later on in my life when it counts.

As for the whole karma thing, I'm not a vengeful person. My parents and my sister are vengeful people, and I've watched them say some really horrible things about people who've done bad stuff to them even just once. I've sort of trained my mind to be the opposite of that. I don't want to be like that, I don't think it's healthy and it's extremely unattractive.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm too forgiving for my own good. Indeed, I probably should learn to say 'no, not again' when people have wronged me. Having said that, I haven't really had many opportunities where this has happened to me, and the ones that I have had haven't been on the level of relationship breaking or anything like that. Maybe if the issue were so serious, I'd be less forgiving as a result, but it's one of those things where I feel I'd have to be in the moment before making a decision, if that makes sense... But normally I'm too forgiving. Not forgetting - I'll always remember - just forgiving.

outfox

in
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2013
    I always forgive. Those who consistently hurt me I'll pluck out of my life but I'll still treat with kindness, but I can't hold grudges, I don't have clean enough hands to.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'd find it hard to forgive them, but just because you don't forgive someone for something doesn't mean you can't still be friends/trust them. If it was a friend that I really cared about then yes I would be let down by it, but I would still trust them in the knowledge that they know what they did was wrong and how it had affected me so they wouldn't do it again. Then if they did do it again, that would be a different story, that'd probably be the end of the friendship D:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Offtopic: I actually thought this question had to do with alcohol limit. XD

Ontopic: I'm not really a forgiving person, but it can depend on the situation. If it is a promise, and they broke it, i'd consider it something minor and probably forgive them. Anything else, and it's a strong chance that I won't, but again, it depends on the situation, whether it be a small mistake or a big mistake.

Back