• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How could the storyline be improved?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Apparently the storyline is lacking, according to some people. :( However, I thought it was amazing! Therefore, due to conflicting opinions, I have created this thread. n____n

SO! How could the storyline be improved? What would you add/remove to make it more interesting? Would you extend it to post-game? Or did you find the storyline perfect? If so, why? Discussssss!!!

Years
  • I start this thread. To me, it was a good story.

N who want to Free pokemon.

His father who wanted to enslave these last ones.

I think it's a good story with the twin heroes, and their dragon.

If I have one thing to report about B/W, it's the fact that we have only 8 gym to perform.

When we know that the HG/SS which are released before the B/W version have 16 gyms...

Why not when, we defeat the plasma team, we go back to our home sweet home. We go sleeping and our mother comes to show us a letter that we receive from N or his father. A message like you thought it's finish. But you don't know... it's only the beginning.

In fact, the plasma team was just a bridge to another consortium. And Ghetis or N are joined it when he was defeated by a kid...

So, some months later, we receive a voice call from keteleria (professor who give us our first pokemon). During she's calling the screen becomes sizzling (just like when our friend bianca doesn't answer when keteleria called us around the road 4).

Keteleria is kidnapped. After some "fighting noises", the screen is brake and we "hear" an voice who said. Give up or you will never see her.

At this time the policeman (from far away who give us a rod) is useful. He could give us advice. He could take our vokit and said the call was from... impossible... form there...

Excuse me but I must check something. He go out and say us. Take, care of you and take advantage of my absence to go fishing almost everywhere. I contact you when you will arrive on road...

He go away from our house. After that, we go to the road... he still near the water... and He reveal to us that the call of keteleria was from a far region. (Kanto).

After a short explain with him, he offer to us to ask to skyla if she are ok to transport us to kanto. => go back to skyla town ;)

We ask her and she accept. We go to kanto. Once we are there, the policeman Leads us to the lab of oak and it's there that we learn that all the professors of the various regions were kidnapped.

So, we face Ash who suggests testing our motivation to be found keteleria. (An association between us). When we accept, he reveal that the plasma team comes here to join with the team rocket to growth it's activity.

We must defeat the new team (I don't speak about the three stupids from the team rocket). This is the way for us to discover the kanto's pokemon and to beat the gym champions from kanto... (In black and White, there is no really challenge in gym's because there is not best type than dragon an Ice).

Fire/Water/Grass we encounter them at first town.
    Normal we encounter she at second town. (But I'm sure that if we will encounter normal type champion with pokemon to level 50 with a Audino, it wasn't the same story for us). It's too early.

PS : I talk about first, second,... town (it's first, second,... GYM's town).

Excuse me there probably are so syntaxes error, but I don't have time to check. ;)

Perico

Ripper
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    We all know that the storyline of Pokemon games is always the same. That could probably be why I find the storyline of Pokémon Black and White a bit boring. I mean after four similar storylines it's more likely to get bored with the fifth one. And I'm not saying it's a bad storyline, I'm just saying it's the same old story.

Surprisingly, there are a few good moments which break the typical storyline. The clearest example is the Pokemon League. That was something totally unexpected and clearly awesome.

Years
  • I thought the storyline was terrific. The only (small) problem I had, was perhaps the games were a little too linear. Maybe if somehow you got plopped in Driftveil and just kinda went from there... Or just if there was a bit more backtracking/more explorable (in terms of what the storyline let you do, as it's pretty much keep moving forward, keep moving forward) I might of enjoyed it even more! But overall I thought it was very well-done! :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    We all know that the storyline of Pokemon games is always the same. That could probably be why I find the storyline of Pokémon Black and White a bit boring. I mean after four similar storylines it's more likely to get bored with the fifth one. And I'm not saying it's a bad storyline, I'm just saying it's the same old story.

Surprisingly, there are a few good moments which break the typical storyline. The clearest example is the Pokemon League. That was something totally unexpected and clearly awesome.

I disagree entirely, lol. :( To me it's an entirely different story. Like, Ghetsis aiming to free Pokemon and building a castle and using his son for it seems kinda different compared to team magma and aqua trying to make the world an ocean or just land, or team rocket stealing Pokemon, or whatever DPPT had. :x I think the only part relating to previous games was that it was ended up with Ghetsis having evil motives, but if that wasn't revealed it'd have been totally different.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Less Zekrom and Reshiram, more Bernie Madoff and Jeff Skilling.

In all honesty, though, the whole "bad guys trying to awaken a legendary to do their deeds and that the player must ultimately confront" is getting a bit overdone. These type of plots are so over-the-top unrealistic it's hilarious. The same old, same old just gets boring after awhile, and Team Plasma, when you get down to the nuts and bolts, wasn't that different than the teams that preceded them. More disappointments include the fact that Plasma really didn't have any "executive/admin" members (Sages don't count since you never battled them) and I was really hoping that N's Castle would be teeming with grunts (and the Sages) for you to battle on your way to the bosses.

But really, if a Pokemon game featured Ponzi schemes, securities fraud and embezzlement as the main goal of the antagonists, it would be a welcome change, at least for me. At the very least, it would shake things up from the legendary-based status quo that's become a bit long in the tooth.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Less Zekrom and Reshiram, more Bernie Madoff and Jeff Skilling.

In all honesty, though, the whole "bad guys trying to awaken a legendary to do their deeds and that the player must ultimately confront" is getting a bit overdone. These type of plots are so over-the-top unrealistic it's hilarious. The same old, same old just gets boring after awhile, and Team Plasma, when you get down to the nuts and bolts, wasn't that different than the teams that preceded them. More disappointments include the fact that Plasma really didn't have any "executive/admin" members (Sages don't count since you never battled them) and I was really hoping that N's Castle would be teeming with grunts (and the Sages) for you to battle on your way to the bosses.

But really, if a Pokemon game featured Ponzi schemes, securities fraud and embezzlement as the main goal of the antagonists, it would be a welcome change, at least for me. At the very least, it would shake things up from the legendary-based status quo that's become a bit long in the tooth.

Kinda disagree. By default there is a cover legendary that has some role. While that isn't overly necessary, it still adds a dramatic part to the storyline. If that hadn't of happened, and Ghetsis did free all the Pokemon without a final conflict etc and people were left without Pokemon, what else could've happened to restore things back to normal? Would this mean Pokemon was finished? I mean it is kind of dumb to end the storyline and foil Ghetsis by beating him with a legendary, but still, if that hadn't happened... then I'm not sure what else could've been done after that point. I hope that made sense! :(

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Well, I was really more or less suggesting that Ghetsis not pursue the "freeing all Pokemon" plot altogether and instead ran a more realistic criminal operation like say, an investment scam or a bank robbery team. He could even rework the Team Plasma logo to look like Enron's logo except with a "P" instead of an "E" xD

Years
  • I actually don't mind the storyline, despite the repetition.
    I do think the legendary Pokemon are very important in the story otherwise they would be plopped in post-game leaving everyone thinking "Why are you even here".
    I do have a few requests, they need to start making their stories longer and more in-depth. I want more twists, more back-tracking for clues, more puzzling challenges and dungeons riddled with trainers (or grunts) (Definitely not Zubats!).
    I'll admit the story writing has improved dramatically since RBY, although it did get very extreme in Gen 3 with Team Aqua and Magma reworking the structure of the world.

Well, I was really more or less suggesting that Ghetsis not pursue the "freeing all Pokemon" plot altogether and instead ran a more realistic criminal operation like say, an investment scam or a bank robbery team. He could even rework the Team Plasma logo to look like Enron's logo except with a "P" instead of an "E" xD

Ghetsis wasn't running a criminal organisation up-front, he was just leading an extreme activist group with a lot of resources at their disposal against cruelty to animals.
    Of course we find his true motives for N later on.
    In my opinion the villainy should have stopped at the leading of the activist group who gets foiled over and over and goes insane with power and hate for the protagonist leading to an ultimate final showdown....

In Hoenn or Kanto.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I don't think that the main storyline really needs improving. Team Plasma's motives are unseen in any of the other teams, & Ghetsis is like someone who's possessed by a demon. I really got hype over beating him in the final battle against him.

However, that hype is short-lived, as what I think needed an overhaul is the post story. After putting an end to Ghetsis, what else is there to do? Not much. You could go after the rest of Plasma's Seven Sages, explore the eastern section of Unova, & get access to Kyruem. That can all be done within a week at most. After that, there isn't much left. The Battle Subway pales in comparison to the Battle Frontier in Emerald, Platinum, & HG/SS (which I avoided anyway, as I'm not a competitive trainer.)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I think the main story was perfect the way it was. I can't find anything that really needed to be changed. But I do feel that at this point in the series, a longer and more interesting post-game storyline can be expected. Especially when it follows games like HeartGold and SoulSilver, where the game is only pretty much half over. But maybe I expect too much.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Gamefreak, or whoever is in charge of the storyline always plays it safe.... So, at this point, a very nice, yet "safe" change, would be that they did like G/S. Add another region to explore, with a little more flavor, and I'm good to go.

Years
  • I have to say it had one of the best storylines thusfar in the games. (: I just really wish that it had gone more in depth with N's childhood and past. I wish there had been more to do postgame.. But yknow, all together still one of the best. :3

Back