• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need some advice on my OU Team

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
Years
  • So, this is my current OU team, it's exported from Pokémon Showdown:

Heiss (Mamoswine) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Superpower

Achilles (Garchomp) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Rough Skin
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang
    - Dual Chop

Rogue (Magnezone) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 36 HP / 220 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Substitute
    - Hidden Power [Fire] (For ferro and out of guard scizor/forretress)
    - Flash Cannon

Magnezone has proven a really good switch in for steel types, but his moveset it's too predictable. I'd like to improve him in some way, also I've been thinking of giving him Charge Beam.

Haken (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 176 HP / 204 Spd / 128 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    - Dragon Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Waterfall
    - Taunt

Gyarados has been a lifesaver a couple of times but it's easily taken down in comparison of his worth in the team, so I'd like to now which pokémon can fill his role or how can I improve it.

Archial (Breloom) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    Adamant Nature
    - Low Sweep
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Spore

Lavi (Alakazam) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Alakazam it's a really tough guy, hits hard, but lately he's giving me problems as it's too weak (even with the focus sash, he doesn't stand for late-game because I use him and magnezone to lead most of the time)

That's it. I'd like to know if you have any comments so I can improve my team without changing too much. The only ones I'm ok with changing are Alakazam and Gyarados.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    You've got a solid team here.

You could try a bulkier supporter variation of Gyarados if you're looking for it to do something different or increase its survivability.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Intimidate
    Impish
    248 HP / 252 Defense / 8 Speed
    - Dragon Tail
    - Thunder Wave
    - Waterfall
    - Taunt

Murt93

Battle Amateur
    Years
  • why not try out life orb on alakazam?
    garchomp getting locked into non-stab fire fang screams bad idea in my head if anything it will do barely 28-30% to skarmory( I don't know the exact figure) would you consider replacing this with stone edge? doesnt help out vs skarmory but gives better coverage and outrage does more to grass/ice types than fire fang rock slide is another alternative but the drop in power is noticable

charge beam on magnezone is a great idea especially when you switch into a scizor locked into bullet punch just set up your sub and proceed to set up.

I can see the genie's being capable of tearing through probably 5/6 of your team so maybe a strong revenge killer like scarf terrakion, I only suggest him because he's the best revenge killer in my opinion he might not necessarily suit your team and you do have mamoswine so you might be alright without it you'll just have to death fodder most of the time so mamoswine can get ice shard off

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
    Years
  • Thanks both for the quick response! This is the team with the changes.

Heiss (Mamoswine) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Superpower

Achilles (Garchomp) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Rough Skin
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Dual Chop

Rogue (Magnezone) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 36 HP / 220 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Substitute
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Charge Beam

Haken (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Dragon Tail
    - Thunder Wave
    - Waterfall
    - Taunt

I tried Dragon Tail once, it just didn't fit well, but since it's my only way to deal with the uncommon but not extinct full batton passer team I'll keep it

Archial (Breloom) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    Adamant Nature
    - Low Sweep
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Spore

Lavi (Alakazam) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

I must say I feel like a n00b when it comes to competitive battling and mostly I chose the pokémon I had in-game. I win most of the time tho, but everything was easier before the 4th Gen.
    I'm still unsure about Gyarados, I think I should get something like Rotom-W so I can still use it as a switch in for predictable EQ. And about Skarmory, any functional ideas with this team?

Murt93

Battle Amateur
    Years
  • problem's with baton pass you say? well rotom-w could work nicely there as you could trick a choice item and break the chain(but they could predict trick and select baton pass so essentially gyarado's taunt work's nicer.

two tip's for competitive battling when changing your team only change it little by little you wont be able to tell if its improved if you change 2 or 3 pokemon each time,
    secondly the best thing to do is simply battle practice makes perfect as they say and eventually you'll get a feel for the meta and once you know your team back to front prediction become's much easier.
    in regards to skarmory it can be extremely effect vs certain teams but the thing you need to keep in mind is unpredictabilty its movepool isn't as shallow as most people think, yesterday I was completely taken by surprise when my ferrothorn was ko'd by a skarmory with flamethrower :L so if your going to run it use a set that works better against pokemon you have problem with

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
    Years
  • Actually, what I meant with Skarmory was if there's any way I can easily get him off my feet with this team, because most things I've tried are helpless.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll be battling some time and post later to tell the outcomes of these changes :)

Back