• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Improvement suggestion for direct linking to posts

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    The PokéCommunity currently uses this system for direct linking to posts when clicking on the #number link on the top right corner of the post: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7714629&postcount=942
    As you can see only the specific post is viewable.

I really prefer the system Serebii Forums and Bulbagarden Forums uses, which 'auto-scrolls' down to the specific post. That way all the replies are still viewable: https://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?607985-Censored-pokemon-manga&p=16011171#post16011171 & https://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f275/viz-releasing-rs-chapters-adventures-140206/#post4386348

Is there any possibility to change this for all threads, both active and archived?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Personally, I don't like that way of doing it because it forces you to load the whole thread when you only want to look at one post.

Years
  • https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7714803#post7714803

It's not easy to get this URL, but is this something like what you were talking about?

I got this by clicking the "Latest Post" arrow from the forum index.

The capability to add this as an option is there, but it's up to the admins whether to implement it and as to whether they would need custom coding to make this accessible for each post, which would put it at the bottom of a long to-do list for Ausaudriel. It might be something pretty simple, though, since the fact that these links already exist on at least a temporary basis means the capability to do so in the future exists.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah, there already is a way to get to a specific post and still load the whole thread. I do most often find that more useful, like Manga Reader X says, than to look at just one single post. I find myself often going to the thread anyways just to see the context.

Only exception, meaning only time I really don't have interest in more than just one single post, is when looking at character sheets in roleplays. And even then, it is annoying that the single post pages stretch all across the screen even though I'm using a narrow forum skin.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I think being able to see the whole thread is more convenient than seeing one post, even if it means loading the whole thread. What use is just the single post if you're oblivious to the context? I find myself going to see the entire thread anyway if someone links me to a single post because I have no idea what's going on, so we could just remove the middle man.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Thanks a lot! That's a good solution.
    Improvement suggestion for direct linking to posts

Could you do so that the 'L' link opens in the same tab and not in a new tab and so that the post count link opens in a new tab and not the same tab?

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I added an extra link for it. Clicking on the post number will still link to the individual post, but clicking on the small "L" link next to it will link to that post while still loading the full thread.
    Awesome! But could the "L" and the line be bolded maybe? I might be clumsy with my mouse but it would be easier I think.

Years
  • Yes, I will agree that it looks better than the "L", because I'm sure there were people who didn't know what the "L" was for anyways :p

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Also, could you do so that the 'chain link' opens in the same tab and not in a new tab (since the whole conversation is still intact) and so that the post count link opens in a new tab and not in the same tab (since the rest of the conversation disappears then)?

Back