• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best RPG games

Years
  • RPG's are one of the most played genres of all time, so which ones do you think are the best?

I, myself think that the TES series is one of the best in terms of RPG games, all of the games in the series are amazing RPG games. Skyrim and Oblivion are both high quality RPGs, in my eyes, there are several more pros than there are cons in both of the games. I have played both games for hours and have not found myself in a position where I was even the slightest amount bored.

Far Cry 2 and 3 are both wonderful. You can see from my sig that I am a huge fan of Far Cry 3 and Vaas. Far Cry is, for me, the best gaming series out there. Far Cry 2 was such a good game, I enjoyed many an hour playing that game and found it hard to stop playing at times. When I heard of Far Cry 3, I jumped straight to my PC and spent a while looking up stuff about it. Alas, the day comes when I receive the game in the mail and straight away start playing. The game is so brilliant in so many ways and I can't really find a way to fault it. The campaign was made wonderfully, and you really grow to adore Vaas even though he is the antagonist. So different to many other games, the graphics are beautiful, the scenery is brilliant and the concept of the game is amazing.

TY

I do really agree with Far Cry 2&3, especially with 2 as you could pick your own character (if they also did that in FC3, but that just a minor thing). Havent played TED at all, maybe i should try it out.

Also I really like Borderlands, though it can also be considered a FPS, but you level up, get skill points and stuff like that. Borderlands has a huge area where you can loot stuff and kill people. The graphics may seem odd but the gameplay is amazing like Far Cry.

And then Far Cry. Indeed a lovely game. In FC2 i always wanted to get so many diamonds to get the best guns and upgrades, and in FC3 i was always doing different things to liberate a outpost (one time its using a bow and being stealthy, the other time i burn it to the ground). The stories were amazing in both games, especially FC3 with Vaas... and i cant stop praising this guy. He is my number 1 villain with a huge lead cause of his voice, his behaviour... I really hope Ubisoft makes a DLC where you can be the man with the definition of insanity

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Ahhh, RPGs; you know, I have to give mention to the Tales games; I really love the Tales series games. They're really wonderful in terms of deep story lines, overall gameplay, and delightful characters. For example, the avatar I have now is Arche from the first Tales game - Tales of Phantasia. Well, it's not really the best of the Tales games, but, it's still really fun for a classic. :3 Actually, my favourites of the Tales Games are Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of Abyss because their story-line stood out to me the most. And they're fun to play too! A solid mention goes out to Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Graces, though. :3

Another good mention is the Phoenix Wright series, which were a personal favourite of mine since 2005. ^^ Even though in theory, it's a simply point and click game, they've really done a good job with emphasizing the plots in each game as well as "pick your brain" a little bit by thinking outside the box, etc. I really loved Phoenix Wright Trials & Triulations, so, I recommend playing that, but, to understand it, you'd have to play the first two games first, which are pretty amazing in their own rights!

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Hell, I'll stick up for Borderlands as an RPG because the intricacy of the weapon system puts most RPGs to shame. They adapted some of the most fundamental points of RPG combat (varying amounts of damage, elemental attacks, enemy weaknesses to certain elements, different weapons being more or less effective against different enemies) to guns and then gave players a HUGE selection that could easily fit anybody's tastes. The class mod and Action skill systems allow for a lot of flexibility as well, but not as much as the weapon variety.

I love me some RPGs but the most important element for me in any of them is Holy a real-time battle system. It makes each battle feel like an action game instead of just a straight-up RPG. Turn-based systems are fun too, but they get kind of irritating once you reach that point in the game where the bosses start taking 2 turns every turn. There's none of that in real-time battles. Also, complete party control is important as well since I don't trust AI to do very much. It's all the difference between Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Anyway, my actual favorite RPGs? The Star Ocean series, of course. The lore of the Star Ocean universe is really interesting, especially since the series has both a very defined beginning (the introduction of space travel in The Last Hope) and ending (rebelling against Luther in Till The End Of Time). The battle systems for all four games are pretty similar, save for a couple of button changes in TTEOT. Skills are flashy with quick cast times, bosses are unique and fun to fight, the ability to choose who's in your party in the first three games gives them a significant amount of replayability, and A Little Bird Who Forgot How to Fly is one of my favorite songs ever. To this day it still makes me cry.

I also like the Disgaea series, the Valkyrie Profile series, the Shin Megami Tensei series (most of them, anyway), Okage: Shadow King, Radiata Stories, the Far Cry series, a couple of Final Fantasy games, and good ol' Dark Souls. I'd go into detail but I need to get dressed

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Far Cry and Ace Attorney are RPGs now? o_O

Anyway I hail SMT3: Nocturne as the best RPG of all time. It's essentially flawless except for the boring dungeon design (for the most part).

My favorite though? Probably one of the Fire Emblem games (that I like *cough*). Mostly Sacred Stones since it's my first one, so I hold it dearly.

Though I've been sort of getting into Earthbound right now. Haven't played it yet though, since I'm waiting for the Wii U release.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • One of the RPGs that I extremely love, is Xenoblade: Chronicles. I just find everything perfect about the game, aside from some minor issues.

Other RPGs I love are notably, are the Tales series and Suikoden series. Tales for it's addictive battle system and character interactions. And Suikoden for it's long length of play-time and vast amount of characters to choose from.

Back