• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rock

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Pop. Country. Synth. Indie. Alternative. Garage. Grunge. Punk. Metal. Nu Metal. Heavy Metal. Rap Metal. Screamo. Deathcore.

There's tons of variations of the overall music genre 'rock', though I believe the above sub-genres are probably the most popular out of all of them. Anyway, I created this thread because I wanted to ask the good people of PC a few questions about rock.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Do you like rock music? If so, what type? If not, then why?

What's your favourite band(s)? Aaaaaand why?!

EDIT: What's your favourite rock song?

Finally, a bit random but still related (kinda), do you play any of the traditional instruments used in rock music, such as the electric guitar, drums or bass? Tell us more than 'yes' if you do, like some backstory and stuff.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Fire away.
Btw only just found the highlight tag today and now I'm going crazy with it aaaah

Last edited:
Years
I love rock music and enjoy several of its sub-genres, although I don't think everything you have listed there is rock, although a lot can be hybridized with it. As a general rule I like alternative rock, rap-rock, rock (as in the standard run of the mill kind), classic rock, hard rock, grunge, garage, metal, nu metal, synth metal, hardcore and several others.

One of the things I love about rock as how it can be hybridized with other styles such as country (see Renegade, I can't remember the artist) or rap (rap-rock, rapcore, horrorcore) or pop (pop-rock).

My favourite bands? The one's that jump to my mind right now are; Linkin Park, Nirvana, Nickelback (don't judge me), Hollywood Undead (although they lean more towards the rap side), Foo Fighters, Seether, Shinedown, Sevendust, Shaman's Harvest, Rob Zombie (more metal that traditional "rock" genres), AC/DC, Guns n' Roses, Bon Jovi. There are several others, these are just the first I could think of.

It is hard to pick a favourite to song though, I'll get back to you on that one.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I do like rock. Mostly metal (and its sub-genres), though. Few of my favorite metal bands are Arch Enemy, In Flames, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Megadeth, Children of Bodom, Eluviete, DevilDriver, As I Lay Dying, and Disarmonia Mundi. As for favorite songs... well, I have a lot! It would be impossible for me to list them all, honestly. xD

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Nu Metal.
Linkin Park. They make the best rock, I guess.
Castle of Glass.
Nope, but I've been meaning to pick up the drums. The reason being the beats of the drums always puts me in rhythm.

Years
I pretty much like Rock in all it's forms. Chevelle is my favorite band, followed closely by Rise Against, Breaking Benjamin, A Day to Remember, Bullet for my Valentine, some Atreyu, etc, mostly because they kick a lot of ass. Especially Chevelle. I really do like all sorts of other stuff too - especially 70's & 80's rock/metal. I don't play any instruments, though.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I only listen to Hard Rock, and Metal, it has to be fast and aggressive. I need my music to wake me up, and get me ready to take on the day, whether it will be good day or bad. I listen to my rock/metal music at work, it keeps me concentrated and focused on the work.

Do you like rock music? If so, what type? If not, then why? - All subgenres I listen to: Hard Rock (like Quiet Riot or Van Halen), Shock Rock (like Kiss and Twisted Sister), Grunge (like Nirvana and Pearl Jam), Death Metal (like Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel and Divine Empire), Power Metal (like Dio, Helloween, and Iced Earth), and my choice in Metal is Thrash Metal (see the next question). The only times I'm not rocking is when I'm watching Pokemon or sporting events.

What's your favourite band(s)? Aaaaaand why?! Huge fan of Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax, the "4 Horsemen" of Thrash. Its the four bands that got me into metal backk 2001, and it rocks!!

What's your favourite rock song? - its hard to just pick one, so I'll mention three from each of my favorite bands...
Megadeth - "Mechanix", "Sweating Bullets" & "Peace Sells"
Metallica - "Master of Puppets", "One", "Battery"
Slayer - "Raining Blood", "Angel of Death", "Altars of Sacrifice"
Anthrax - "Madhouse", "Indians", "Among the Living"

Finally, a bit random but still related (kinda), do you play any of the traditional instruments used in rock music, such as the electric guitar, drums or bass? - I want to learn to play the drums, just like Dave Lombardo.

Last edited:

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Thank you [supporter]Perdition Haze[/supporter] for not letting this thread die! ahaha I was fearing the worst here that only two people in PC liked any kind of rock :o Anyway, time to answer ma own questions.

Well, of course I like rock, since I did make this thread aha. I have all my life, well except the time when I was 12-14 and wanted to fit in so I decided to give more mainstream hiphop a try but now that I'm 16 I've been getting back to rock a lot more nowadays. I used to only listen to Nu Metal and Alternative back in the day when Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance and bands like that were popular. Nowadays I tend to lean towards more of the softer side like garage and indie, though I don't mind the occasional metal now and then.

My favourite band right now is The Strokes. Is This It, their first album, definitely deserves all the praise it has got, and in my opinion really is one of the best albums of the 00s. I mean, I can't see anyone not liking at least one song from it, especially Last Nite, Someday and Hard to Explain. Personally however I prefer their second album (Room on Fire) out of all the five they have released so far. It has some of my most favourite songs from them in it, like Reptilia, 12:51, Under Control and The End Has No End. The other three albums they have released so far are all good too; some notable songs are You Only Live Once, Juicebox, Under Cover of Darkness, Grastification, All The Time, Welcome to Japan and One Way Trigger.

Although their sound has changed damn near completely throughout the years, I still love The Strokes and hope they tour sometime in the UK!

Another band I listen to thoroughly is the Arctic Monkeys, and my favourite song from them has to be either Fake Tales of San Francisco or I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor. Finally other bands I listen to include but not limited to are: Green Day, The White Stripes and The Black Keys.

And finally, I would love to be able play electric guitar someday and rip off awesome solos in a band. It's the dream, really.

Arron13

Calm, Relaxed, but Competative
Years
Rock is my main genre of Music. I love it so much. my favorite kinds are alternative, pop-rock, punk, classic, and country.

My mood always swings whether I want to listen to softer rock or more upbeat stuff. right now it's slower stuff that I can sing to so I'm listening to a lot of lifehouse, coldplay, and some slow songs by hoobastank and skillet.I could name a lot more but my Ipod is currently dead.

My all time favorite band though is Yellowcard. I found them out from my SSX 3 game I used to play when I was younger. I then explored more of their songs and then the rest is history. If you son't know Yellowcard has a violin player, and he is amazing.

My favorite songs change all the time. some of my favorites from the past are

"Feel Good Drag" Anberlin
"Ocean Avenue" Yellowcard
"Gifts and Curses" Yellowcard

I do play the guitar and the Bass. I played electric guitar for my High School's Jazz Band. Because of that I have become more of a rhythmic guitarist. So if you give me a sheet of a lot of random chords most likely I will be able to play it with almost no difficulty. Lead is a different question though. I can't go way fast (my fingers just don't move) and I never got good at soloing in Jazz till my senior Year. Even though I mainly played jazz doesn't mean I don't know a lot of rock songs, most of them though I play acoustic versions of though.

I played the Bass in my high school's Dixieland Band. It was an upright acoustic bass but I can also play electric. In dixieland there are no notes and you just have to play off what the chord is.

I can also play the drums but have never had any lessons and stuff so I can just do it to an extent that I have rhythm because of how many years I've been associated with music. So all I can play is simple rock beats (but I can play most songs on expert on Rock Band).

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
Rock and the various sub-genres of it easily accounts for 95% of the music on my iPod.

I started off with Three Days Grace after hearing "Animal I Have Become" on the WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 video game. I really liked the song so I started listening to them more and more.

After that, I started listening to Slipknot, and oh my god did I listen to them a lot. They were pretty much all I listened to for at least a year and I still listen to them today. I actually saw them live at Mayhem Festival 2012 and they're simply amazing live. It was a great experience.

The past two years I've been moving more into metalcore or "screamo". That started when a friend showed my The Final Episode by Asking Alexandria. I branched out from there and started listening to Miss May I, As I Lay Dying, Crown the Empire, Capture the Crown, etc.

As for my favorite bands and songs (Favorite bands in order and then favorite song by them):
  1. Crown The Empire (Memories Of A Broken Heart)
  2. Slipknot (Duality)
  3. Asking Alexandria (Another Bottle Down)
  4. Bullet For My Valentine (Tears Don't Fall)
  5. Capture The Crown (RVG and also The Departed 2.0)

Unfortunately, I don't play any instruments. I think it would be awesome to play guitar or drums, or even be able to sing. I don't have the money to buy instruments or the time to learn how to play them. And I'm a terrible singer :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Quoting just to discover this highlight tag...

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Do you like rock music? If so, what type? If not, then why?[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Yes. Most types, but not the screamy stuff.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]What's your favourite band(s)? Aaaaaand why?![/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Muse. Their songs are all great, so varied - from mental, loud ott stuff (Kinghts of Cydonia's my favourite) to the quieter ones such as Soldeir's Poem.
I'm also a fan of The Killers (Every single song is like the closing montage of an epic movie), and if you want to go the complete opposite direction: Mumford & Sons - their song structure is kinda rock-like, but the instruments and lyrics...not so much.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]EDIT: What's your favourite rock song?[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Oh god, no way I can choose - I'll mention some of the favourites: Starlight (Muse), Panic Station (Muse), All These Things That I've Done (Killers), When You Were Young (Killers), Cry for Help (Shinedown), Kings and Queens (30 Seconds to Mars)...I could go on...

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Finally, a bit random but still related (kinda), do you play any of the traditional instruments used in rock music, such as the electric guitar, drums or bass? Tell us more than 'yes' if you do, like some backstory and stuff.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

I play guitar, have an amp for my electro-acoustic, no actual electric guitar though.

Years
I love rock, it is one of my favourite genres of music, and I love all types too. Whether it's soft quite rock, funky, hard, fast and crazy and all kinds. My favourite would probably have to be Punk.

The Beatles, The Who, Blink 182 (Hehe rhymes..), Green Day, The Sex Pistols, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Reel Big Fish and I dunno, a lot, lot, lot of bands..

I am also a big fan of metal. (Heavy or basic metal)

I play the bass guitar, but also electric guitar and acoustic. I can play lead guitar solo songs but bass is my strong point, I also know like, two beats on the drums.. If I had a drum set, I would learn more. To be honest, what made me want to get a bass and learn it was the video clip of 'Feel Good Inc' by the Gorillaz.. Murdoc played the bass and I was like 'He looks so cool, I want to be cool like that' And yeah, so I picked it up. But now I'm trying to widen my musical instrument knowledge with other instruments, not just the typical basic rock ones.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
Do you like rock music? If so, what type? If not, then why?
I love rock. My favorite subgenres are classic rock, progressive rock, psychedelic rock, and some grunge.

What's your favourite band(s)? Aaaaaand why?!
My favorite band is Pink Floyd. They're the only band I know that creates heavy atmospheres and still has rocking tunes.

What's your favourite rock song?
Baba O'riley - The Who (My dad and I listened to it a ton in our car when I was a kid. Brings back good memories AND is still awesome!)

Finally, a bit random but still related (kinda), do you play any of the traditional instruments used in rock music, such as the electric guitar, drums or bass? Tell us more than 'yes' if you do, like some backstory and stuff.
I don't know how to play it, but I own a Electric guitar and plan on taking lessons. The Beatles alone made me want to own one.

Years
I like a lot of rock music. Not all types, but a lot. Not really a fan of bro rock (the louder, noisier varieties with big metal and emo influences) or hair metal though. I'd much rather stick with a 'classic' rock band like The Who or something with a pop, or new wave, or folk, or other influence. Give me a good glam rock song by David Bowie and I'll be happy as a kitten.

I couldn't really pick a single favorite variety, or artist, or song. I just can't sit still with any for long enough for it to become my #1 favorite.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
A good majority of the music I like is rock music cause I find it more appealing and better quality than most popular music from today. I mostly listen to alternative , indie, pop-rock, punk and pop-punk nowadays and some metalcore/hardcore to some extent, though if I can listen to almost any other genre of rock. I don't have one favorite artist or band but I really love Imagine Dragons, Rise Against, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Paramore, Vampire Weekend, Green Day, Linkin Park, Anberlin, Skillet, All Time Low, 3o Seconds To Mars, Switchfoot, Relinet K, Phoenix, Two Door Cinema Club, Fun., August Burns Red, A Day To Remember, Project 86, Of Monsters and Men, Matt and Kim, The Killers, Grouplove, Walk The Moon, Atlus Genius, Twenty One Pilots ,Passion Pit, MGMT, Alt-J, Neon Trees, etc. I really don't have a favorite song but ones I love alot right now are "Breezeblocks" by Alt- J , "Pompeii" by Bastille, almost every twenty one pilots song (specifically Fake You Out) , "Miss Jackson" by Panic! At The Disco, "Up In The Air" by 30 Seconds To Mars, "Still Into You" by Paramore, and "Try To Be Cool" by Pheonix.

I've never played an instrument except the recorder in 4th grade and that was required and in no way a rock instrument lol. I really want to try an electric guitar someday or a bass.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 24, 2015
i love a bunch of Rock Genres!

May it be Classic rock : AC/DC, Metallica, Guns'N'Roses, aerosmith, black sabbath.

Nu metal :Linkin park so far, i sometimes like to think of them as a rap/rock/electro.

Punk/Post hardcore/Punk rock/screamo/indie rock: A Skylit Drive, Sleeping with sirens, pierce the Veil, allstar weekend, blessthefall, bring me the horizon, circa survive, Crown the empire, Dance gavin dance, emarosa, isles and glaicers, the downtown fiction, green day, blink 182, My chemical romance, fall out boy, falling in reverse, for all those sleeping, forever the sickest kids, ghost town, go radio, i see stars, mayday parade, memphis mayfire, our last night, tonight alive, we came as romans, woe is me.

fricken love music!

Back