• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Video Game Endings?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • As the title suggests... what are the worst video game endings that you've ever seen?

For example, the worst one one I saw was the one for ghostbusters for the NES:

Worst Video Game Endings?

Ugh, those grammatical spelling errors... and just a black background with text? Come on, now.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I've never liked this ending.

Not that it's bad... It just pales in comparison with the intro.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
    Years
  • The worst Ive seen has to be the first one in the original Ghost and Goblins. Most of you know what I mean...

I cant think of many modern games with horrible endings...maybe mass effect 3? (beating a dead horse I know...)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 was a great game. It was full of heart, and the storyline was extremely well-written. The only thing that ruined this game for me was its ending. Halo 2 also had a pretty bad ending. When Master Chief was asked what he's about to do, he replied with: "Finishing this fight." You just never got to finish the fight, though. If you did want to finish it, you had to buy the next Halo game, Halo 3. Oh, and that Lee Chaolan ending from Tekken 5. It was just... weird. xD

Last edited:
    Years
  • There are a lot of NES games that end with bad translation like the Ghostbusters. Ikari Warriors and Ghosts n' goblins are good examples.

I heard that Mass Effect 3 had a really bad ending, but I've never played those games so I can't say for sure. I googled the ending for... Super...man...64. It's awful.

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Assasin's Creed from 2007 had one of the worst video game endings to date. Once Memory 7 had wrapped up, you were left in Desmond's crib for around twenty minutes, until you realized there was writing on the walls. You never even get the chance to figure out what the writing means, as the game ends there, and prompts you to buy the sequel. I would've liked it more if they'd at least tried to attempt to explain the odd happenings and not leave us on such a confusing cliffhanger. Sometime's they're exciting and make me even more hopeful for the sequel, but in this case, it was just an annoying way to get consumers to buy the next addition to the series.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • The original ME3 ending was just one giant plot hole. The patched/rereleased ending is better, but I still think it could have been fundamentally improved.

The entire last half hour of Metal Gear Solid 2 kinda makes you just sit there and think "...wat?" It took Kojima another whole game (MGS4) to explain it properly.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
    Years
  • NES games were made in a different time, when data space was severely limited, making epic storytelling difficult. Lackluster endings were common at the time. While the thrill of the game lay in the challenges presented as you trekked through increasingly difficult worlds. Even early RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest had little to offer in the way of a big ending, or a plot in general aside from the scrolling text in the introduction or what the king tells you in the first five minutes of play.

As far as modern games go, I don't like games with tragic endings. While tragedy can work in literature, when playing a game I get upset if my efforts turned out to be for naught. Mother 3 was one of the biggest downer endings I've ever seen. It was well done and epic, but I would have preferred if it was more clear about whether or not everyone was killed. It certainly implies something grim.

Back