• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Heroes of Might and Magic

Years
  • Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_logo.png

Does anybody else play this/have heard of it? For those of you who do, it's a real gem, isn't it XD

The series has quite the loyal and demanding fan base. How have you guys enjoyed the series so far, and the direction it's taking now? What do you like about the gameplay? Do you find it addicting?

I've only played I, II, and III, but I've spent a lot of time checking out Youtube Videos of IV, V, and VI. I do think Heroes III is the best out of the series ><

Years
  • Ohhh, there's Might and Magic, which is an RPG but this is about Heroes of Might and Magic (now rebranded as Might and Magic: Heroes) which is a turn-based strategy game :P You collect resources and buy creatures that you equip on your heroes to fight other heroes on more-or-less a chess board :P It's that first video game that got me into playing games in general. I blame my parents for buying me it at the tender age of 7 XD

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I used to play it a lot with my friends. Nowadays, the only games of this series that I ever play are III (with the fan-made "In the Wake of Gods" extension which adds a ton of new interesting features) and the black sheep of the series, IV (with, again, the fan-made extension "Equilibris" which tweaks the game to make it more balanced) . I don't even play the campaigns, I only play custom games, and, in Heroes III, I only play randomly generated maps.

I like the series a lot, but I don't remember having completed even a custom game on my own, and I remember having completed a map in the multiplayer mode with my friends only once :) . We could spend days on one map and never finish it, but fun was had, that I can tell you :) .

I couldn't get into Heroes V and I am not really interested in Heroes VI. For me, Heroes III and IV (the latter because of it's different gameplay) are the games to own.

BlahISuck, have you played Heroes VI? If you did, what are your thoughts on it compared to the previous installments?

Years
  • Noo I haven't :D I thought the design for the factions Heroes V was really good since it was all thematic and such, but I didn't like how Ubisoft World-of-Warcraft-ized the artwork, everything looks cartoony.

I didn't Heroes VI that much when I learned about it. They got rid of the rare resources, I think, leaving only gold and crystal. One thing that I really liked about the old games was maintaining an economy and supply to resources that if cut would deny access to Dragons or Archangels, for example. I also didn't like the new monster designs, which I found a bit arbitrary and not "traditional" :P with things like Radiant Glories in Haven, Breeders in Inferno, and Fate Spinners for Necro. Adding the new Sanctuary faction was a bit shocking to me as well, I don't find it to be fitting with the original factions. They seem really MMORPG-ey, kind of like adding Pandas to WOW. So my impression of it is pretty poor.

I enjoyed Heroes III immensely though, I just found the game really well designed aesthetically. I've never finished a campaign myself, but going through different maps is pretty fun. My experience is deeply rooted in Heroes III though, and so there are gameplay features in IV that I'm averse to like simultaneous retaliations. Also, I found IV to be a bit ugly XP Maybe I'll try it out, if only to play a wholly different game altogether. The unicorns have rainbow manes and I don't know if that's a good thing XD

I haven't tried In the Wake of Gods :P I've never played multiplayer either, but the game is fun enough on its own.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    The game looks fun, but I don't think that it would be a game that I would enjoy that much. They do seem very complex and fun however.

Years
  • omigosh it is :PPP although i think it is a bit of a cult favourite - an acquired taste :P i think after you play it for a while, you tend to overlook the inconsistencies. like why do centaurs hang out with dwarves and tree-men and pegasi? why do eyeball-brains hang out with black dragons and harpies? necro, castle, and inferno are pretty consistent town types though. one thing i don't like about heroes 6 is how arbitrary the creatures seem to be - even compared to homm3 i guess :P

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
    Years
  • Most enjoyable game of my life my first game on pc was HOMM 3 : WOG ( a totaly magical mod for this game ) ( Rampart FTW! )
    The best of the series was HOMM 3 & 6 ( 6 had beautiful graphics )

Years
  • What do you like about Rampart? I found dwarves and dendroids to be soo freaking slow :( I used to love Castle, with its double-attacking crossbowmen and crusaders, until they nerfed the crap out of Archangels (cost 3 instead of 2 gems). But my favourite town of all has to be Fortress because lizard people are awesome ^^

RimasLT

Years
  • What do you like about Rampart? I found dwarves and dendroids to be soo freaking slow :( I used to love Castle, with its double-attacking crossbowmen and crusaders, until they nerfed the crap out of Archangels (cost 3 instead of 2 gems). But my favourite town of all has to be Fortress because lizard people are awesome ^^

Dwarves - has best defence stat and about then you had about 1000 -1500 theyre unstopable ( with Haste spell you can give more speed ) Dendroids are awesome in attack & defence stat ( also speed with Haste ) but mostly building like in Japan + Unicorns very usefull

Years
  • Personally, I love grand elves for the doubleshot and that slick silver armour.

Here's a question: Gold Dragons or Black Dragons?

RimasLT

Years
  • Personally, I love grand elves for the doubleshot and that slick silver armour.

Here's a question: Gold Dragons or Black Dragons?

Gold Dragons because I love almost all of Rampart Mythical creatures ( except Centaurs :/ )

Black Dragons always nervous me because I can't retaliate them but they're very usefull like Azure Dragons when you had atleast 6-10 of them.

Years
  • Isn't it annoying how they don't respond to beneficial spells though? You can't give it counter-strike, nor resurrect them (which is my favourite thing to do after I get advanced/expert Earth magic at the end of a battle - blind and resurrect).

What are your favourite spells? I play a lot of short games, so I'm really familiar with slow/haste, bless/curse, blind, and I've teleported Hydras over walls and used damage spells to preserve my creatures. But what do you think of spells like slayer and sorrow/mirth? Is prayer like a haste on steroids?

RimasLT

Years
  • Armaggedon - when you have full set of Armaggedon ( massive damage + your troops do not die )

Thunder,haste, Hurricane :)

Years
  • GAHH ARMAGEDDON I don't use it often since I don't play Dungeon often (resource heavy) and by the time I do get Black Dragons, the game's already over (small maps). I don't think I've used hurricane at all D: What's your opinion on adventure screen spells? Sometimes I forget they even exist.

Have you played any other Heroes games?

Back