• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I'll take my screens glossy!"

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Ah, displays. Glossy, matte, or somewhere in between?

While matte displays sure have an advantage in terms of getting things to stay readable under harsh lightning conditions, I still prefer glossy displays by a long shot, since these days, displays tend to go really bright, the clarity is unparalleled, and the displays on modern mobile devices have their own tricks to minimize reflections and glare. (Polarizers, anyone?)

What's your preference for displays?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I actually use a TV screen (A Samsung Smart TV about 22 inches) as my main display for my computer. It's a beautiful tv and works very well for all the tasks I need. But it only supports 1080p and 720p resolutions and was a pain to set up (had to use HDMI as my model comes with no real computer inputs) The TV is LED backlit which makes is vibrant and colourful.

My laptop has a matte screen which makes it pretty durable, although it is kid-of low res (1336x768)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I actually use a TV screen (A Samsung Smart TV about 22 inches) as my main display for my computer. It's a beautiful tv and works very well for all the tasks I need. But it only supports 1080p and 720p resolutions and was a pain to set up (had to use HDMI as my model comes with no real computer inputs)

1080p is actually very good for a 22" HDTV! HDMI is actually the expected output for today's computers :)

The TV is LED backlit which makes is vibrant and colourful.

LED-backlit displays have a significant advantage in terms of maximum brightness and power consumption compared to CCFL-backlit displays. (This is also why most laptops have displays that go really bright even if everything else about them is horrible.)

It's only part of the picture, though. The panel technology used also comes a long way in making sure the display pop, especially when viewed at an "off" angle.

My laptop has a matte screen which makes it pretty durable, although it is kid-of low res (1336x768)

A lot of laptops these days come with glossy displays. While some people might lament the loss of matte displays in general (and yep, since most people do work on computers for a long time), sometimes, multimedia wins.

If only more laptop displays were both glossy and employ an air-gap less construction, in addition to polarizers to reduce glare and improve black levels. Top it off with a high-end IPS/PVA/PLS panel with 100% sRGB coverage, and Bob's your uncle!

Years
  • My new Toshiba TV screen is glossy, while my 19" Vizio TV (used as a monitor/smaller TV) and my Acer monitor are matted. I'd prefer matted on non-touchscreens due to the fact that fingerprints can get all over them more easily if they were glossy. But for touchscreens, I'd definitely prefer glossy because it's more smooth.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    We have two TVs in our house, which are both matted. Everything else though—including our phones, tablets, and computers—are glossy. I personally like glossy screens, as they make things look better. Plus, they're easier to clean. Only thing that I don't like about them is that sometimes, they could strain-out your eyes. d:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • My 19 inch tv/monitor is matted, while my 55 inch plasma tv in my living room is glossy and it shows clear picture. I actually prefer the latter, crystal clear picture is like eye candy lol

Ranx

Baadshah :P
    Years
  • i prefer glossy .. i guess its more clear brighter colors and darker blacks :p but matte gives a little dim and dead experience.. well both of them gives different experience ...

Back