• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Are Your Writing Strengths?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Your writing strengths, as in, what kind of style of writing that you're more comfortable with, like your preferred genre, or stuff like that! Because I personally know how tough it is to write something that you're not used to; it gets pretty awkward and... bad things might happen, haha. Anyways, what are your writing strengths, and how have they've helped you piece together your work?

For example, I personally like writing comedy pieces myself, as a past time mind you, but it's the form of writing that I like sticking to, for entertainment values, and to keep myself more interested in completing my works. :3

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • My strengths definitely come in the storyline. I'm good at coming up with twists, and using them to get the most out of a story. I could spend forever working and planning on a story, so I might spend a little too much time doing that. But hey, when I actually stick to that plan, the story turns out pretty good.

The genre I work in is almost exclusively light sci-fi. I still write with aliens and future technologies, but not to the extreme like Star Wars or Star Trek. More like things that could become a reality in the next one hundred years or so.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    My writing strength tends to be characterization. From what I'm told I make really interesting characters that develop nicely over the course of the story/role-play. Of course it largely depends on my inspiration and the plot involved but I do like to think I'm pretty good at it. I don't really have a particular genre that I'm strong in, but I tend to work better in universes where I have stronger control over what happens because I work better with less restrictions. Like, if I was to write a story that took place in the real world it might be particularly difficult for me unless there are certain factors that set it apart from the typical portrayal of our world; factors such as: the development of super powers, catastrophic events that largely alter the social order, crazy discoveries that lead to increased technology etc.

The piece I'm working on now takes place in modern/near future time and will likely include super powers of some sort that are most likely going to be the result of biological manipulation/genetic mutation. So while it will stick true to most everything we know certain aspects of the world will have been bent to come in line with the plot.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • My writing strengths are usually about disabilities. I find it easier on this topic because I'm disabled myself. So, it comes somewhat easier to write about a character being autistic than one without autism. Most people always ask me why I only write about stuff like this, and I've never had much to tell them either. It's hard because there's so little out there regarding disability fiction. :(

Bay

Years
  • I have people commenting that I have good ideas and often am able to put them together into a good plot. So yeah, my strength is getting ideas together.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'd say my strengths are mainly plotting and dialogue. I'm good at coming with the overarching storyline and their cataclysts. Then there is the dialogue, which I think I can make very natural, atleast in my native tongue. I like to write long dialogues or monologues and focus a lot on the inner voice.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I think of myself as kind of an overglorified hack who isn't very good at writing and everyone just thinks I am because I kind of have that sort of air about me, to be honest... it's difficult to categorize what my strengths would be. Especially since I do so little of the actual practical writing myself. But I will try to do this anyway.

World-building detail, character motivation, villains, and clarity.

When it comes to world-building concepts of how societies or people work, I'm great at that. I'm not so good at making the actual physical world itself, but cultures are my specialty. Explaining in detail what sorts of technologies they use, how they think, why they think like that, how organizations within these cultures work... that's my thing. I do that more than actually write the story itself because I find it so fun. Character backstories, motivations, and psychologies tie into that too. I can make some really good ones.

Villains tie into that. I am a very paranoid person, and I can take the point of view of a villain very easily. The villain must constantly be on the defensive from the hero, and I feel like I'm always on the defensive from the world. So I tend to make very intelligent villains who don't fall into the usual trap, and seem less like clearcut evil... and more like just people. It's easy for me to sympathize with them and give them ridiculous details that make them a huge challenge for the heroes to overcome. And because of my strength of making character motivations, the villains will usually have some good reasons for what they're doing.

Related to that, I am also pretty good at plugging up plot holes or flaws in logic. I try to craft a story that has very few of those, thinking of all the possibilities and scenarios.

When I write, I am usually very clear about what is going on. I hate ambiguity and loads of flowery prose. So I tend to get to the point, and make my word choices vaguely poetic enough not to be ridiculously terse, but not so much to the point that it's incomprehensible.

I only work in one genre - sci-fi/fantasy mixtures with JRPG-like adventure stories that mix drama and comedy. Not really interested in anything else.

Years
  • My strength in writing (my only strength in writing, mind you), is my ability to create interesting concepts concerning the various aspects of the story. This ranges from the setting and world, all the way down to individual personalities and character developement (only to a certain degree on the latter). Nevertheless, I constantly find myself yearning to write a story that grabs at the reader's attention and keeps them begging for more... though that's quite a tall order on my part.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Nevertheless, I constantly find myself yearning to write a story that grabs at the reader's attention and keeps them begging for more... though that's quite a tall order on my part.
    I think that's a tall order for anybody, honestly. Only the best writers leave you wanting more, so it's definitely not a bad thing to aim for! I know I'm aiming for it myself, at least.

Back