• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Online privacy/predators"

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
  • Recently in school inside a class called "career and life management", we're moving on to the topic of the internet... a small discussion was brought up to Online prvacy, online predators and internet addiction... People who "belongs" to the offline world holds some quite pessimistic look on the internet. But I wonder what does fellow friends online say?

So if you have the time, answer a few questions and share your thoughts about the online world with your answers. (note: there is no "correct" answer) And of course you can choose to answer only a few questions out of the following, or just not answer at all.
    (cough also if you answer these questions then you'll be helping Frosty on his homework so lend a helping hand please cough?) ^_^;;

1. Vast majority of online predators are male
    a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

2. How much information about where you live (IRL) do you give out to people on the internet?
    a) country where you live in
    b) states/province
    c) city
    d) street address
    e) i lie about it/don't tell at all

3. Do you think your gender plays a major factor to your online life? (such as you can make more friends if you're a certain gender, or people usually acts more secretive around you if you're a certain gender)
    a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

4. Do your parents put restriction on your internet access? (can pick multiple answers)
    a) there are no restrictions
    b) restrictions are put on emails
    c) restrictions are put on chatrooms/forums
    d) restrictions are put on IMs
    e) restrictions are put on online games
    f) restrictions are put on visiting websites

5. Has someone online ever requested to see you IRL before?
    a) yes
    b) no

6. How much time do you WANT to spend on the internet per day?
    a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

7. Do you ever feel that your online privacy is being protected?
    a) they are completely secured
    b) they're somewhat secured
    c) they're rather vulnerable as hackers can easily gain access to my private info
    d) they're completely vulnerable as anyone can easily gain access to my private info
    e) not sure

8. Making friends online...
    a) can be even better than making friends offline
    b) can be just as good and fun as making friends offline
    c) can be not as good as making friends offline
    d) is just no good compare to offline... online is just not "real"
    e) not sure...

9. What is your opinion on the increasing amount of young children being shown explicit images or other disturbing ideas?
    a) this is mainly caused by the increasing amount of young children having access to the internet
    b) this is mainly caused by the defficiency in online security, letting these people to have a chance to do such a thing
    c) i believe that with or without the internet, this statement still holds true
    d) no comments

10. Do you think that issues related with the internet such as online predators, privacy and addiction will be a major problem in the close future?
    a) yes of course! it'll be the biggest problem in the upcoming future
    b) it'll be a problem but not first on our priority list
    c) it'll only be a minor issue
    d) no this will not be a problem at all
    e) don't know

thanks for your time reading over all this long crappy post ^_^; Thanks!

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    Recently in school inside a class called "career and life management", we're moving on to the topic of the internet... a small discussion was brought up to Online prvacy, online predators and internet addiction... People who "belongs" to the offline world holds some quite pessimistic look on the internet. But I wonder what does fellow friends online say?

So if you have the time, answer a few questions and share your thoughts about the online world with your answers. (note: there is no "correct" answer) And of course you can choose to answer only a few questions out of the following, or just not answer at all.
    (cough also if you answer these questions then you'll be helping Frosty on his homework so lend a helping hand please cough?) ^_^;;

a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

2. How much information about where you live (IRL) do you give out to people on the internet?
    b) states/province
    c) city
    d) street address

3. Do you think your gender plays a major factor to your online life? (such as you can make more friends if you're a certain gender, or people usually acts more secretive around you if you're a certain gender)
    a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

4. Do your parents put restriction on your internet access? (can pick multiple answers)

a) yes
    b) no

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

c) they're rather vulnerable as hackers can easily gain access to my private info
    d) they're completely vulnerable as anyone can easily gain access to my private info
    e) not sure

e) not sure...

9. What is your opinion on the increasing amount of young children being shown explicit images or other disturbing ideas?
    a) this is mainly caused by the increasing amount of young children having access to the internet
    b) this is mainly caused by the defficiency in online security, letting these people to have a chance to do such a thing
    d) no comments

10. Do you think that issues related with the internet such as online predators, privacy and addiction will be a major problem in the close future?
    e) don't know

All my quiz answers are there. ^_^

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know
    I would say A, most are male.I think so because a lot of them are perverts,a nd that sort of thng x_x

b) states/province
    c) city
    d) street address
    I would say B, states/province.I don't say the city where I live, just the general are.(About 2+ hours away from Houston)

a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know
    I would say B, no.Gender isn't that big of a deal on making online friends, at least not to me =/

F would be my answer.No self-respecting parent would let their children visit inappropriate sites

a) yes
    b) no
    B, no.Even if they did, I would say no

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours
    I spend generally 3-4 hours online, sometimes more if I have nothing else to do

e) not sure
    I would say A, my info is secure.No one can find out detailed info about me

e) not sure...
    I would say C.They can be a lot like offline friends, but they just can't compare so much to offline friends

d) no comments
    B, it's mainly because of all the flaws in the internet.IE, major flaws in filtering

e) don't know

I say D, it won't be so much of a problem if people are smart enough to realize what's going on before anything major happens

Anyways, those are my answers, hope they helped you out frost, if just a little ^^

~DragonTrainer

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I love giving you a hand. so here we go! =P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

b) states/province
    c) city
    d) street address

a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

a) yes
    b) no

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

e) not sure

e) not sure...

b) this is mainly caused by the deficiency in online security, letting these people to have a chance to do such a thing
    d) no comments

e) don't know

Tweak

c) don't know

c) i don't know

b) no

b) 1~2 hours

d) no comments

e) don't know

=/ i say...whoever's being weird, it's their own fault for locking themselves up and spending their time alone with their computers. and i mean 24/7...o_O;; never leaving the computer...scarey thought...

Years
  • frostweaver said:
    a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

b) states/province
    c) city
    d) street address

a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

a) yes
    b) no

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

e) not sure

e) not sure...

d) no comments

e) don't know

1.C.
    2.B
    3.B
    4.C.
    7.A
    8.B
    9.B+C
    10.B

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • 1. Vast majority of online predators are male
    a) true

c) city

b) no

a) there are no restrictions (only because my parents trust me cuz I've been using the internet since I was three)

a) yes

e) > 4 hours

there ya go! my two cents

Flaming Torchic

HalOWNED!
    Years
    a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

2. How much information about where you live (IRL) do you give out to people on the internet?a) country where you live in
    b) states/provincec) city
    d) street address

a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

a) yes
    b) no

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

e) not sure

e) not sure...

d) no comments

e) don't know

also...isn't this a poll? ;x

Years
  • predators? i thought oyu said preators. *sorry to the pc staff i dont mean to flame i was only...* and no this isnt a poll. i dont tell ANYONE my address. not even if i kn ow them. they can call me if they need to. ya know i am really worried about this subject... people should stop being stupid. *if anyone finds that first part offensive ill edit it*
    sorry if that sounded like a flame i didnt mean too.

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
    a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

b) states/province
    c) city

d) street address

a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

a) yes
    b) no

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

e) not sure

e) not sure...

d) no comments

e) don't know

Hmm...never took a survey like that before...it was one of the very few that made me think about the consequences, lol...^_^;

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    a) true

b) no

b) no

d) 3~4 hours

e) not sure...

Kairyu

speedy digital tablet artist
    Years
    c) don't know
    Hmm I can't say for sure since so many people on the net completely mask their identity, thereby knowing their gender is near impossible.

c) city
    I think that's the most I'll give out regarding my location. Any more would be completely unnecessary as that would give them my exact location, it'd be good if we were trading items or something. Is this predetor gonna fly all the way to Hawaii just to stalk me? I'll have to give him or her a medal for that one. lol.

a) yes
    I think so, though you'll notice that you make certain type of friends based purely on similar interests and any past experiences at that site. Gender can SOMETIMES play a big part in online life, like not knowing a particular person's gender tends to make you think they like to hold back info (perhaps for fun.) And depending on the type of person you are, you might want to get to know that person. *Bad example but oh well*

Nope, I have no restrictions. Infact I tell them to avoid certain sites (mostly because of viruses, etc.)

b) no
    Well not really, unless you're talking about them requesting a photo of me then yes.

d) 3~4 hours
    That would be ideal for me but it usually balloons out to over 5 hours a day at times >.0

e) not sure
    I do put out info on me but I watch what I type as it could make me vulnerable to hackers.

The only disadvantage is the inability to not see them in real life. There are ways around this but its usually very expensive. Some cheaper ways around this is to use webcams, or even trading a photo of each other.

Online security aside I think it mostly depends how far the parents protecting their children from such sites. That is, if the adult supervising him or her cares about it in the first place.

e) don't know
    There are bigger things going on (like wars and corporate merging.) But as the internet becomes more and more available to the world I could see it starting some serious problems.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I'm not putting a list cuase i think you have to be a really dumb person or a nu-b to the internet to fall for something like this now a days

Kairyu

speedy digital tablet artist
    Years
  • blue said:
    I'm not putting a list cuase i think you have to be a really dumb person or a nu-b to the internet to fall for something like this now a days
    What exactly did we fall for? If it isn't too much trouble can you explain why you said that? *is lost*
    I don't see how its dumb, frosty is just taking a survey.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Not necessarily After talking to some people online for months you may really feel close to them--and a lot of people in this survey said online friends can be as good as real ones. It's not like a predator goes up to their victim as says" Hi "m your friend let's meet k?" They really can work on you if they're a good one. Trusting people get caught, not dumb ones.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • either the whole world is dumb, or the online predators got a lot smarter, or your analogy is completely wrong. Why would FBI need to find young girls and learn how to talk like a teenage girl to capture online predators? Plus there are times where "online predators" come to you even if you don't give them information. This simple questionnaire is just a way for me to see how online people are thinking about the internet (classmate doing an identical one to people offline).

And then we'll see if these people are really "dumb" or they're underestimating the predators...

Yamichu

o.O;
    Years
    • Age 119
    • Seen May 21, 2004
    a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

b) states/province
    c) city
    d) street address

a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

a) yes
    b) no

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

e) not sure

e) not sure...

d) no comments

e) don't know

~HORN!

Last edited:

StarLightUmbreon

Moonlight Traveler
    Years
  • frostweaver said:
    Recently in school inside a class called "career and life management", we're moving on to the topic of the internet... a small discussion was brought up to Online prvacy, online predators and internet addiction... People who "belongs" to the offline world holds some quite pessimistic look on the internet. But I wonder what does fellow friends online say?

a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

b) states/province
    c) city
    d) street address

a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

a) yes
    b) no

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

e) not sure

e) not sure...

d) no comments

e) don't know

1. C
    2. A(i have told the my state but only to two people)
    3. B
    4. A(i don't live with parents)
    5. B
    6. C
    7. C(hackers can get any thing on line if they are good enough)
    8. B
    9. C
    10. B(though who knows realy what will be number one on the list)

Years
  • Having played alot of online games and been at many forums, heres my answers, some are multiple.

a) true
    b) false
    c) don't know

Comments: Mostly males, yes... but i've seen / heard of a few cases where they were female.

b) states/province
    c) city
    d) street address

Comments: Seeing as how the people i trust the least only get to know where i live if they ask me and i feel like it, ill tell them.. a select few know what city i live in.

a) yes
    b) no
    c) i don't know

Comments: I dont think about this much, i know alot of people online, and it doesnt play a major factor when talking to them or anything else.

Comments: I have no restrictions

a) yes
    b) no

Comments: Yes it has been brought up, but nothing has been decided.

a) <1 hour
    b) 1~2 hours
    c) 2~3 hours
    d) 3~4 hours
    e) > 4 hours

Comments: I spend my time on the internet checking my email, talking to people i know, browsing forums, and just playing some online games.

e) not sure

Comments: Well it has happend, that a hacker got some of my private info.. and about 1000 others.. it doesnt bother me much, as the hacker doesnt live here.. and i know this 100 %

e) not sure...

Comments: This can be discussable, for some people it just isnt the same.. others its very different, i find it both ways.

d) no comments

Comments: None.

e) don't know

Comments: Not all people think of this as first priority, but it will be still be there and it will be a serious issue.

Back