• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weekly Anime Discussion # 395: Less is Morrison

Years
  • Here is where you can discuss the introduction of Ash's Hoenn League rival, Morrison, in "Less is Morrison."

Okay, the 3rd rival and for what it's worth, he's actually pretty good. One, he's a bit bulky and technically overweight but that's a healthy design compared to the twigs of the rivals normally. He looks realistic. That and he is different as he has a different take/vibe about him as opposed to Hiroshi, who was too much of a clone (a good clone but a clone) and the just THERE Hazuki (hard to feel anything about him, he had no personality) and just colorful is the word I'd use. Unlike the others, you need to rewatch to get a feel for him as opposed to making an opinion right off the bat with the other rivals.

One curiosity is how either one didn't win their competitions and came out equal, which is a nice change of pace from the more lucky Hiroshi and the advanced Hazuki.

Beyond that and the pain of the onigiri edit (which is just odd) and the Rocket showdown (how they won the upper hand without their Pokemon like that, I'll never know beyond violation of the law of physics), it panned out nicely and some side continuity.

Next up is the Grand Festival and the return of Bannai. Whee!

Last edited:

Ari-chan

hypnotizing
    Years
  • Wow, I didn't expect them to edit the Riceball completely. I thought they were over that. Instead they changed the rice ball to a big sanwhich, and later another riceball to a cracker. That got me pretty upset, yet I was laughing about it at the same time. This was the first episode I saw in Japanese before I saw it this in English mourning. I didn't expect such a silly edit.

Anyway, This was a pretty fun episode. I thought it was fun to see Ash competing with Masamune/Morrison over such Trivial things. It reminded me of the old Ash actually, just for a little bit.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • I being to miss your rant/reviews. You hadn't done one in a long time.

It is strange. We getting to the Grand Festival without of the explaination of how DID MAY GET HER 5TH RIBBION!!!

URGGG!!! I hate the dub title. Why must we get horrible pun dub titles.

Well. We see that the competion isn't ready let. For once Ash is ahead. This is a change except that Ash is now a mature and grown pokemon trainer. Well this episode proved us wrong. Competing against Morrison for little things. Well. Somethingsnever change but that is what you get. Ash was mature for a while but hmp. What you expect.

A bit boring. Nothing big or new. It was all about Munchlax and getting to know Morrison. Reminds me a bit of Richie. You know except that he isn't a exact copy of Ash and is fat. I mean look at him. He brings out a different side of Ash when he is around like Richie did. I just pointing that out.

4/10- Well nothing new. Just a few things. Still nothing new. Boring.

Years
  • I was wondering how a submarine sandwhich could roll like that, now I know. Riceballs have been mentioned and eaten recently, wonder why the change?

Years
  • I'm just busy, reyna but I'm working on the reviews/rant.

And the continuity with the Fifth ribbon omission here didn't bother me as the previous episode, feel rather lost.

That and they did a nice job with the cracker. For what it's worth.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • I just rewatch the episode again and I notice the cracker and sandwich thing. Did you know that the second time the cracker is shown that it is bigger. WAY bigger. I didn't know that it was that big. I thought something like this would happen. I mean you notice that Hoenn is more americanize then Johto was. Look at the houses.

Years
  • I liked the cracker edit as it was shown in reasonable dimensions to the audience but the sandwich one was...odd.

Just wonder why they are bothering with it anymore, because they've been more respectful to the rice balls lately in the past few seasons. I dunno with 4Kids and their rationale at times.

I just didn't comment much, compared to the last one because there isn't much to say really. The only highlight was Morrison.

Bah.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I missed this episode. And now I feel bad about it .-.

Did I miss a good episode? <<"

Years
  • I dunno if it was good per se, all it did was introduce Ash's Hoenn rival, that's about it and some competitions with each other.

It was good for a character POV but for an episode's? Not really.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Dark Weezing said:
    I dunno if it was good per se, all it did was introduce Ash's Hoenn rival, that's about it and some competitions with each other.

It was good for a character POV but for an episode's? Not really.
    That makes me feel a bit better XD

I forgot to tell my sister to tape it <<"

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2007
    Uhh... I saw the comparison of the JP against the US versions,

In the jpn version: Some parts are shown with some kinda onigiri...
    In the USA: Its replaced by a sandwich then the cracker.
    And in the USA Ver... The Badge case was all like 67% red instead
    of a pokeball symbol. ???

Years
  • Yeah, they painted away the onigiri, why I don't know. 4Kids' reasoning can be outright baffling at times as they weren't as taboo as they used to be.

As for the badge case edit, which is the second one this season, it's idiotic as that's the title screen but at least they are consistent with this (and inconsistent in others).

Either way, it's the most pointless paint edit in the whole series as Haruka has the same thing on her bandanna.

I'm guessing it was a US Law as you can't show products on the air? Who knows?

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    To me it was a awesome epsiode. I been waiting for this snice I watched the Japanese version. I loved Morrison's dub voice. It suited him well. But the only thing it bothered me was the edit of the riceballs. A sandwich rolled over...a sandwich? That was werid. I said to myself, here we go again. 4Kids is at it again. But other than that, Ash has a great rival. ^^ I liked the way they competed on everything, but end up as a draw. XD

10/10

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • I don't really care if 4Kids dubbed the rice ball thing. It is ok. I didn't really know until I got here on PC. I did notice the second time the cracker was shown that it was bigger but that was it. I mean it doesn't really matter. 4Kids are just ok in dubbing.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • I thought that this episode was directed towards a younger crowd. But its good that they have a new rival, since they did away with gary

Back