• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Max actully have a purpose?

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
  • Okay i know lots of people like Max and all but, why is he in the show? If he was older and had pokemon I could understand but where they are in the series now compared to when he was first in it, he has greatly lost voice time. Now he only pulls brocks ear or congratulates May, or is that just me? I just wanted to know if he gets a biger role latter on (like in the Jap. episodes or etc...)

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Max is a bit charator. he his there to provide comedy when it is needed. Now Drew on the other hand, is complaty useless. they just should get rid of him and never show him agian!!

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
  • Hmm...on side thought,I too have always wondered why Max was in the show.Let's see what Shampy thinks:

Max has much of the position like Jaken from Inuyasha,to bring in comdedy moments to the show.Otherwise,he prolly is there to learn more about Pokemon.

I dunno any other reasons o_o;

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    071f717f.jpg

Comedy, yes. He's the one left to do things the others are probably too old for. (.. I send my sister over to get/do something sometimes because she's "younger and it wouldn't look as odd than if I had done it".) He did get his character built a little in the 6th Pokemon movie with Jirachi. And because he knows a thing or two about Pokemon, he can easily identify a Pokemon the group has probably never seen before. (Usohachii, 8th movie.) He's usually the one playing with the Pokemon, and is probably the one to most likely be the first to know where a Pokemon went missing. Or where something disappeared off to. Or what somebody's up to, in a no good manner. Because Masato is still a kid, and little, people probably wouldn't really notice he went missing, so he can be like a little spy. XD

Otherwise, he works as another character the anime can focus the fillers on to build character when we've already seen too much of Satoshi. (Not that I EVER get tired of him. <3) I do enjoy the Masato/Satoshi moments, such as in the third episode of AG, as well as the movie. Yes.

EDIT: I re-read the thread. I'd like to add I based what I said on what I remembered from the 8th movie, as well as probably some of the older AG episodes, and maybe from the newer. I don't remember. =B Oh yeah, don't you guys notice.. He feeds Gonbe his/her(?) Pokeblock so that it doesn't go around pilfering others' food? XDD

More in the thread http://pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58324, thanks for scanlating! XD

Last edited:

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • Max does have a purpose in the anime. He is not only performing that jobs that Misty use to do as of pulling Brock's ear (as Hika metion by comic). He also tells some useful information. He also there as to do little kids stuff. As Kika said. He plays with them and other little kids stuff. He is there to fill up space and time. I mean can you see Ash playing with some pokemon like a little kid or saying some sort of little kid dialoge. AG was about Ash growing up a bit (ex:new clothes and stuff). Max is there not just to replace Misty but the little kid spirit of Ash.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • I never thought oh him as the litle kid of Ash, good point. I guess your right about all the rest you guys. But still, he doesn't seem like a main chacater any more, just kinda there. But it doesn't really matter, I was just wondering ^_^

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    Hmm. Maybe. We'll just have to wait for another episode with Masato as the main star. Kasumi's role did kind of die during the Johto Saga.. x.x; But hopefully, they won't let that happen again, having a character become the background, I mean.

Red Nine

BL ish Pretty :o
    Years
  • Hmm...I think Max is useless. Could have easily kept Misty in the show. Quite simply, he's just her smaller, more annoying and geeky replacement. Though, that gives him a purpose, to replace Misty!

So, he is useful in replacing Misty. And that's all. Anyone could work a Pokenav, I'm sure! *would severley abuse mine and call Steven all the time*

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Apr 10, 2008
    Regardless of whether people think he is useless or not, he is IN the anime and I dont really think you can do much about it.

Years
  • Shampoo said:
    Hmm...on side thought,I too have always wondered why Max was in the show.Let's see what Shampy thinks:

Max has much of the position like Jaken from Inuyasha,to bring in comdedy moments to the show.Otherwise,he prolly is there to learn more about Pokemon.

I dunno any other reasons o_o;
    Good comparison. Theyre both about 3 ft tall, and are both annoying. except Max isnt funny. I dont think he really has a purpose.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    He's there as a supporting cast member for plot lines, and also as comic relief. Pretty simple.

Sweet May

Custom avvie coming soon...
    Years
  • Masato does have a purpose. To be their navigator. Or something.
    But if Masato didn't really have a purpose, he would've been kicked off the show since. >>
    Besides, he's funny. xD

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Max is a bit charator. he his there to provide comedy when it is needed. Now Drew on the other hand, is complaty useless. they just should get rid of him and never show him agian!!

.... *eye twitches* .....

...anyway...

Like the others have said, I think Max is there for Comedy, and for informational purposes...kinda like Brock was in the first season.... and now all of sudden BOTH of them are there for informational purposes! ...oO Wonderful... I also think he's there just so they could focus the thing around more then just 3 characters for once... Think about, the main number has always been three.... Until Max. Maybe they figured that would make it more interesting?

....hmm...

Years
  • As i have said before in my earlier post on this thread theres no point of having Max in the show at all casue he isnt a pokemon trainer and just plain annoying being a little know it all by telling facts about pokemon to Ash who already knows alot about pokemon

Plus whats the point of having a no pokemon minor character navigator in the show saying how good his pokenv is when just using a plain map is alot better after all thats what Ash,Brock & Misty only used from seasons 1-6

In order for the animators to avoid loosing more viewers send Max back to Petalburg City and bring Misty back so the show can go back to what it used be with Brock getting KO'd almost every episode by either a mallet or fist of Misty

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Sure he has a purpose: time to feed the hungry Gonbe. Let me take out the Pokeblock case so I can give the hungry Gonbe something to eat so he wont eat the rest of the other Pokemon's food. That should fill you up one nice tasty Pokeblock.

~Dark Venusaur

Back