• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One Score and going onward

Years
  • Serebii.net dropped that today is the 10th anniversary of the Pokemon franchise. I'll paraphrase.

Ten years today, trainers in Japan had just started to play Pokemon Red and Pokemon Green. With their trusty starters, Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, they would go throughout the Kanto regions, collecting 8 badges and thwarting Team Rocket at every turn. Now 10 years later we have almost three times as many Pokemon, new regions, new adventures.

Wow. Ten Years, how about that?

Let's see:

Pokemon count:

386 at R/S count.

Generation Games:

R/B/Y
    G/S/C
    R/S/E/FR/LG

Diamond/Pearl on the way.

Spinoff games:

Pinball R/B and R/S.
    Pokemon Stadium 1-2. (1-3 in Japan)
    Pokemon Snap
    Hey You, Pikachu!
    Pokemon Channel
    3 Puzzle Challenges (One on N64 and two on GB)
    Dash
    Pokemon Collosseum
    Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

Pokemon Dungeon and Pokemon Rangers on the way.

Anime:

442 combined episodes of both series at current count.

19 special episodes and 3 vignettes.

8 combined movies with the 9th in production now.

The first movie broke records here and in Japan.

Countless songs/soundtracks

Manga:

Pokemon Special (still ongoing in Japan, debuted in US)
    Pocket Monsters
    Ono's manga, Dengeki Pikachu (Debuted in US)
    Card Master
    Pokemon: PiPiPi Adventures (Debuted in US)
    Pocket Monsters Zensho
    Satoshi and Pikachu
    Poketto Monsutaa Chamo Chamo Puritei
    Pokemon Getto Da Ze!
    Golden Boys
    Pokemon KAADO ni Natta Wake
    Pocket Monsters Comic Strip (Debuted in US but changed drastically)
    Pocket Monsters Emerald Challenge!! Battle Frontier

And three movie adaptations:

The Seven Nights' Star of Wishing, Jiraachi
    The Sky-Splitting Visitor, Deoxys
    Myuu and the Wave Guiding Hero, Lucario

Countless amount of stickers, keychains, pencils, folders, posters you name it, two Burger King promotions.

Six Hasbro toy lines at least: Original, electronic line of Pokemon, the human figure line (and later articulate figures), the electronic master battle line (I forget the title), Advanced figures. It's still ongoing.

27 TCG sets (26 if you don't count the all reprinted Base Set 2) and still ongoing. And the Leagues if any are around anymore been up 5-6 years now.

A major Pokemon only store both in New York and in Japan, and a theme park in Nagoya before it closed.

Quite a lot for a franchise eh?

And for subtle things:

Villains:

3 Team Rocket operations (Can't beat the classic)
    Team Magma/Aqua
    Cipher/Snagem before back to Cipher again.

17 Gym Leaders

11 Elite Four members and 2 Gym Leader promotions.

And God knows how many items. Please if I'm off or neglected something, add to it.

So all that tallied with more to come, what are your thoughts about all that and the anniversary as well? 10 years isn't anything to scoff at. And what about for the next ten with the current future plans?

Either way, wow.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2008
    I agree. It's amazing how Pokemon's still going as strong as it is today, and hopefully Diamond and Pearl will hit with a huge bang (especially in the US) and prove once and for all that Pokemon is so much more than just a fad.

Kudos to Pokemon!

Years
  • Ah you were quicker. Anywooh xD
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY POKEMON! WE ALL WISH YOU TO BECOME A 100-YEARS-OLD SEIRIE!!!
    And by the way! 10 years are way to much we can now say that Pokemon is a aclassic series!
    Go higher! So everyone your the best game ever made! Go Pokemon, go nintendo!
    We all have to thank Satoshi Tajiri, the crator of Pokemon,for his GREAT idea. I appreciate his work till now and I wish him and everyone in the Pokemon Company to continue like this and even better!

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • Its amazing, it doesnt seem like 10 years. It really doesnt to me. But then again time does fly when having fun as they say. And I have to say pokemon has been a big part of my life so it has flown!

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • �*♣♥♦�*♣♥♦�*♣♥♦�*♣♥♦

Hey, that's right, Pokemon IS an entire decade old. Although it's only like 8 years old in the United States since the first Pokemon games didn't come out until late 1998. But still, congrats for Pokemon for lasting this long and still being popular.

�*♣♥♦�*♣♥♦�*♣♥♦�*♣♥♦

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    And some people dare to say that Pokémon is a dying fad... It looks to me like it's still going pretty strong! ^_^ I am so happy that it's lasted throughout all of these years. I couldn't imagine life without it now, because I've loved everything about it ever since I got my Blue version game when it came out. It's just the most special franchise out there to me! It really doesn't even seem like it's that old--I almost can't believe it.

Anyway, I wish the best for the Pokemon Company in the future. I'm so thankful to all of the people who work for it for coming up with such wonderful ideas!

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • 10 years. May we raise our glasses to it and cheer.

8 in US but 10 all together. Let say that pokemon isn't dieing because that isn't true. It is still alive and ready for another decade. IT just like Mario. IT becoming a legend. Been with pokemon since the 1999 so I up for another ten years.

Ten more! This all began with a guy dreaming about making his jarred bugs fight each other as a little kid. Amazing.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    DreamBandit298 said:
    Its amazing, it doesnt seem like 10 years. It really doesnt to me. But then again time does fly when having fun as they say. And I have to say pokemon has been a big part of my life so it has flown!

Same with me. I can't believe its been that long! *sobs emotionally*
    T-T I started liking 'Pocket Monsters' RIGHT before Pokemon aired in the USA, so for me it hasn't been quite that long yet.... but its still been many years. T-T *sobs more* Go Pokemon! Live oooon!

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
  • 10 years is nothing to kid about..
    Happy birthday Pokemon..hopefully you'll stay strong and keep us happy for another 10 years xD

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
  • ._.'' Two threads to one thing? Bleh, there's an exact of this thread in Announcements.

Now that Weezing's posted that huge list, I realize just how much Pokemon has grown from that starting point of two games. I'll say what I have said in the other thread, I'm pretty much honored to be celebrating Pokemon's 10th anniversary, and I'm hoping to celebrate the 20th one even.
    Happy birthday Pokemon! =D You're the evil video game that brought me happiness that I really appreciate.

Years
  • Supreme Edgeboy Max said:
    ._.'' Two threads to one thing? Bleh, there's an exact of this thread in Announcements.

There is? I'm sorry, I didn't know. Dies.

I'll leave it up to the Mod. I'd like to keep it going but oh well.

Then we'll gear for next year and the 10th anniversary of the anime (April 1st, 1997). Dies.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    Heh, I still remember sitting at home watching Epert & Ropert at the Movies (I think I was 8 or 9 around that time) and remember watching them bash Pokémon the First Movie. I was so p&ssed that them that I could have sued them, but I wouldn't have known what sueing was (never heard of it) and I could've cared less, I was just too into Pokémon to care what some 50-year-olds had to say about a movie for 10-year-olds. :P

Johto Boy

Elite Trainer
    Years
  • Isn't a "score" 20 years? That's what I though it was... Anyway, it's hard to believe it's 10 years old. Actually only about 8 in the US, but that's still old. I didn't get into Pokemon until G/S were released, so I've only been with Pokemon for a little over 5 years. But anyway, Happy 10th Birthday Pokemon! Can't wait until the next 10 years. :D

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
  • Dark Weezing said:
    There is? I'm sorry, I didn't know. Dies.

I'll leave it up to the Mod. I'd like to keep it going but oh well.

Then we'll gear for next year and the 10th anniversary of the anime (April 1st, 1997). Dies.
    ._.'' Aren't you the mod for around here .. oh well ..

That means April 1st 2007 will be the 10th Anniversary of the Anime. A year after the actual beggining of Pokemon, that's not bad at all. =D

Oi, if you want to die .. die like *dies* or something. XD

Years
  • I probably should have said half a score shouldn't I? Headdesk. Yeah, I just wanted to pick something with flair instead of "Happy 10th Anniversary, Pokemon!?!?!". Cursed flair.

Or I forgot, my brain is slush anymore. Of course the official answer is "I didn't know it was the anniversary and raced to make this thread."

And no, Supreme, I am not a Mod here. Shifty eyes.

Back