• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Teach Smeargle any Move!

JakeDaRappa

~Prof. Jake~
Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2008
In the Pokemon Video Game Emerald, Smeargle knows a move that allows you to copy any move (its random. you dont get to pick!) but if you do want to pick whick moves you want, then here is a way i discovered on my own:
1. Get a pokemon that knows a move that you would like to learn.
2. Go to the Move-Deleter guy and delete all of that Pokemon's attacks EXCEPT for the one that you want Smeargle to learn!
3. Put the Pokemon that has the move you want Smeargle to learn 1st in your party and put Smeargle second in your party (or the other way around. It doesn't really matter!)
4. Get into a double battle with twins or the reporter guy that you can see on Routes 118, 120, and 111.
5. Use the move that Smeargle knows (i dont know what its called right now, but he should know it right when you catch him ulnless he usess it on your Pokemon before you catch him) on the Pokemon that has the move that you want Smeargle to learn and it should emediatlly learn it!
6. Finish the battle.
7. Go to Fallabar City and go to the Move Tutor's House.
8. Give the Move Tutor a Heart Scale and he will give you a list of moves that he can learn (just pick the specific move that copies others' moves!)
9.Repeat steps 1-8 three more times till he knows four moves that you want him to learn.

Try it and tell me what move the Smeargle has learned. I wanna see if people have tried it and it actually works ALL THE TIME! Well, try it and post what moves you taught it here!

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Congrats, you managed to post another off topic thread. Moving to R/S/E Discussion.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
Congrats on figuring out the awesomeness of Smeargle. The move you are referring to is Sketch and Smeargle learns it at Lv11 and then every 10 levels after that. The best thing about Smeargle is its ability to pass on moves to other Pokes that are in the Ground Egg group.

JakeDaRappa

~Prof. Jake~
Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2008
Learn Transform

I haven't tried somethng really kool:
Put Ditto and Smeargle in a double battle and have Smeargle copy Transform!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I'd hate to be the negative one here, but it's not really news. People have known about Sketch and its properties since Smeargle's debut in the GSC series. In fact, a lot of people like to use the cheapness of Smeargle (i.e. the fact that it can learn any move) by giving it Spore, Mind Reader, and an OHKO move (especially Sheer Cold) in Netbattle. (This strategy, as I've learned from experience, is highly predictable, and Smeargle's stats -- especially its defensive stats -- aren't entirely incredible to support such a thing. Ergo, I wouldn't recommend using it.)

So, yes. The fact that Smeargle can learn any move is counterbalanced by the fact that Smeargle has pretty bad stats. Sketch is amusing temporarily, but it's just not worth it, in my opinion.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~ said:
But what moves does your Smeargle have?

If you're speaking to me, I thought I already covered that. =/

@ Lefties
- Spore
- Mind Reader
- Sheer Cold
- Focus Punch (For no real reason other than because I wanted to see if it could do the same job as Breloom. As predicted, it can't because its stats just aren't that great for anything more than being a cheap OHKOer. If it's lucky.)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn't suggest using Smeargle either, especially with the set that QueenBoo is using (no offense, of course). Its stats are lower than a Squirtle, if that says anything. Spore is a MUST on a Smeargle as its Spd is at least decent (Base 75). I find it more useful as a BPer than a cheap OHKO though. This is the set I have used in the past:

Smeargle @ Salac Berry/Quick Claw
Jolly Nature (+Spd/-SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Belly Drum/Calm Mind
- Spore
- Endure

First you Spore to get the Poke to sleep. Then you BD/CM while your opponent switches. Then you either Endure or BP, depending on how fast the switched-in Poke is. I had a Smeargle with BD and CM (instead of Endure), but it was much less reliable.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Of course, Smeargle's other great usefulness by being able to learn any move is that he can breed those moves if you're having trouble getting a moveset.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years

My favorite set is:

Smeargle @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Endure
- Endeavor
- Seismic Toss
- Spore

Send it out against an enemy who you know will kill you in one hit. Endure the hit, Salac Berry activates, and put the enemy to sleep. If the opponent switches Pokemon, that would be awesome because then you can Endeavor the new Pokemon and Seismic Toss for the KO. And when the opponent sends in their next Pokemon, you can Endeavor again before going down. Guaranteed to KO at least one Pokemon.
If the opponent is stupid enough to let their sleeping Pokemon get KOed, then this would work even better since you can simply Spore the next opponent and do the same thing.
Obiviously it fails against Ghosts. Works well if you have a Houndoom to Pursuit any Ghost-types the opponent may have before using this.

JakeEMan

Official American Idiot
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2008
One time, I was WICKED BORED, so i thought i would experiment! I caught a Smeargle and named it Dancer! Here are its moves:
-Petal Dance
-Drangon Dance
-Rain Dance
-Feather Dance

It was pretty funny!

JakeEMan

Official American Idiot
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2008
Ok, if you wanted to have fun with Smeargle's Sketch, then you could try out the following ones I made up (not to win a battle, but just to be stupid and funny):

Name: Dance
Moves:
-Petal Dance
-Drangon Dance
-Rain Dance
-Feather Dance

Name: Sleepy
-Rest
-Yawn
-Sleep powder
-Sleeptalk

Name: Forcast
-Raindance
-Sandstorm
-Sunny Day
-Hail

Thats all I've tried for now!

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2006
The Endeavour set has a lot of potential, but it tends to get borked by the popularity of the Sleep clause. Without the clause, Smeargle could go on to wipe out entire teams (since it has more than 263 speed, it can outrun anything after a Salac boost) - obviously unless there happened to be a Quick Attacker, a Hypno or Primeape, or a Tyranitar in tow - but with the clause, the best it can manage is to take out one Pokemon and reduce another to 1 HP before it goes down.

That being said, the Endeavour set is probably the safest to run. Smeargle's offensive limitations means that everyone expects it to be run as a baton passer, and will take the appropriate steps to counter as soon as they see it - an easy enough thing, since Smeargle can't touch them on the switch.

On another note, I prefer Faint Attack to S-Toss on the Endeavour set. Seismic Toss is only ever used in order to finish off an opponent that's been Endeavoured down to 1 HP, and Faint Attack can do the job just as easily. More importantly, Faint Attack affects everything, meaning that the Endeavour set doesn't have to fear ghosts (Endeavour does, in fact, affect ghosts despite being a normal attack. I presume it is classed as a status move, and is therefore exempt from the type rulings).

Years
aragornbird said:

Congrats, you managed to post another off topic thread. Moving to R/S/E Discussion.

Since no one has corrected this, I suppose I will. This thread is not off topic because you can catch Smeargles in Artisan Cave at the Battle Frontier in Emerald. Or was this thread moved? Ah well. Also, Smeargle can't learn any move, and it doesn't choose randomly. Sketch copies the last move used by its target. Therefore, it is impossible to Sketch Explosion, Selfdestruct, and Memento. I'm not sure about this, but maybe if Psyduck's Damp ability is in the picture, you can. Another move that can't be Sketched is Metronome. If you try, you get what it becomes. Baton Pass can't be Sketched, either, can it? And now, my suggestion: a Smeargle with Spore, Thunder Wave, Attract, and Confuse Ray? You put the foe to sleep first and use Attract and Confuse Ray. When it wakes, paralyze it and it will barely be able to attack!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
HoundoomOfTheDarkness said:
Since no one has corrected this, I suppose I will. This thread is not off topic because you can catch Smeargles in Artisan Cave at the Battle Frontier in Emerald. Or was this thread moved? Ah well. Also, Smeargle can't learn any move, and it doesn't choose randomly. Sketch copies the last move used by its target. Therefore, it is impossible to Sketch Explosion, Selfdestruct, and Memento. I'm not sure about this, but maybe if Psyduck's Damp ability is in the picture, you can. Another move that can't be Sketched is Metronome. If you try, you get what it becomes. Baton Pass can't be Sketched, either, can it? And now, my suggestion: a Smeargle with Spore, Thunder Wave, Attract, and Confuse Ray? You put the foe to sleep first and use Attract and Confuse Ray. When it wakes, paralyze it and it will barely be able to attack!
Yes, this was moved from a different thread, that is why no one corrected it. Also, you actually can sketch Explosion, Selfdestruct, and Mememto, as well as Baton Pass and other moves you might think won't work. You must be assuming that Sketch only works in 1v1 battles, which is incorrect. You can use Sketch on your teammate in a 2v2 battle after it uses ANY move. I had heard about it not learning Metronome, but I have yet to bother comfirming it to see if it truly cannot. I know I read something about it once, but you know how accurate things you randomly find on the internet can be. LOL I will let you know once I get around to testing it. Some day.

seanmorely

Self-proclaimed sexiest member
Years
Actually there is also a 1v1 way of getting Smeargle explosion, memento, etc.
Put them to sleep using Spore and then use sketch when they are asleep. You will copy the move they treid to hit, but were uncapable of since they are asleep.
Let's say he uses Explosion, but is asleep, so you never know. You sketch and get Explosion. Hooray.

Back