• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pharmacutical (spelling?) Companies

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    Well, you can see how these companies are in The Constant Gardener and The English Patient.
    Although I haven't seen those movies yet, I know about what they do, and how they use people in Africa as guinea pigs and test them with AIDS drugs.

Well, you can discuss about it.

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • I don't quite see the point of this discussion... You didn't really give us much information. As for the guinnea pig testing... We have to test the drugs on something...

I'm not saying I condone it. I hate cruelty to animals, but I don't think we have much of a choice. We can't develop anything without something to test it on...

Tw1tch

Amateur Dragon Breeder
    Years
  • I have nothing against the companies. They offer great jobs to people who need it. The people who do gruntwork at AstraZeneca get paid around $17.00 an hour. My mom is going higher up in the company, so she'll get paid a good amount and we can move out of our apartment-like thing and move into a house. If she goes high enough, we could get relocated to Sweden or Australia. To me, that's pretty kewl.

As for the AIDS testing, consider this: You are living in Africa and you have AIDS. A pharmaceutical company comes along and says, "We have an experimental drug for AIDS. We don't know if it will work or what side effects it will have. But we need people to test the drug." You could be thinking to yourself, "This virus has ruined my immune system. I get sick easily, and if I reproduce my children would have the same problem. Hey, if this works, I'm cured! I won't have to worry!" Or, if you happen to be a "Good Sumeritan", you may think, "Well, if it doesn't work and it has some negative side effects, the people at the company will see that and try to fix it, make a better drug, and then try again." Of course, there are people who do not benefit from the testing, it is a process of experimentation. But, after a lot of trial and error, they may find a drug that works. Of course, as with many drugs, it probably won't completely eradicate the problem, but instead treat the symptoms, render the virus innactive, etc. That's still better than living with AIDS without a form of treatment that works.

AND ONE MORE THING! Does anyone know how to spell farmuhsootikal? We don't, somebody help us out!

Years
  • Its "Pharmaceutical"

I don't quite see the point of this discussion... You didn't really give us much information. As for the guinnea pig testing... We have to test the drugs on something...

I'm not saying I condone it. I hate cruelty to animals, but I don't think we have much of a choice. We can't develop anything without something to test it on...
    They're not actually Guinnea pigs, they're people, the term "guinnea pig", means "test subject", or something close to that.

The have AIDS. They can either take the drug and hope it helps them, or have AIDS, without much chance of survival.

And what does this have to do with movies?

Back