• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon came 1975

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2009
Pokémon came 1975 as a manga by Satoshi Tajiri, but then it was called Capsule Monsters. The manga wasn't so popular so it's rare since there wasn't sold so many. I would like to have it. Have any one here read it?
The first games (Pokémon green/red) came 1995.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Pokémon came 1975 as a manga by Satoshi Tajiri, but then it was called Capsule Monsters. The manga wasn't so popular so it's rare since there wasn't sold so many. I would like to have it. Have any one here read it?
The first games (Pokémon green/red) came 1995.
The idea of Pokemon was originally a bug catching game made by Tajiri that eventually panned out to include different sorts of creatures. Maybe someone else who had some part in the form of Pokemon we know now, but the main idea came from Tajiri as the bug catching game, not Capsule Monsters, which I've never even seen proof of so I doubt it even exists.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2006
Capsule monsters I believe belongs to Yugioh, so Thats not a Pkemon Manga.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2009
I found this out on Bulbapedia and two other sites I don't remember the name of, but I now Satoshi was very young when he made the manga. I cannot find Capsule Monsters on the internet, but its very rare.

Her is the text from Bulbapedia:
The history of Pokémon spans nearly a decade from when work began officially on first game to now. It started simply enough as a hobby of Satoshi Tajiri, who as a child had a fondness for catching insects and tadpoles near his home in suburban Tokyo. Over time, Tajiri decided to put his idea of catching creatures into practice because it would give children the same thrill as he had.

With the help of Ken Sugimori and other friends, Tajiri formed Game Freak and much later the design studio known as Creatures. In 1975, the precursor to Pokémon was serialized in manga form as Capsule Monsters; however, the manga was unsuccessful and was discontinued. In 1991, Tajiri discovered the Game Boy and the Game Boy Link Cable gave him the image of insects traveling along the wire. After several failed attempts at pitching Capsule Monsters to Nintendo, Tajiri's new friend Shigeru Miyamoto pitched it to the company, and Nintendo began to fund the project, spending six years developing the games that would become a worldwide sensation. Before the first Pokémon games were released in Japan in 1996, sprites of Pikachu, Mew, Meowth, Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle appeared in Game Freak's Game Boy Camera in 1995. Around this time, Nintendo decided to change the name "Capsule Monsters" to "Pocket Monsters."

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2006
According to that, Capsule Monsters was a hobby of Satoshi, and he changed it to pokemon to sell it. That means that Capsule monsters only exists in Yugioh, so it's kinda gone.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 27, 2011
No, no. There was a website I went to that had this manga's scans. It features that Ash lookalike with the scary Clefairy ^^; This manga was called Capsule Monsters, I believe. The one in Yugioh is different. Satoshi collected bugs/beetles. The game idea came to him when he imagined bugs crawling on a line. Hahah. @_@;

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2009
I know someone said on the internet that he had seen the Capsule Monsters manga, but thought it a Pokémon copy and didn't buy it. Now he hates himself . . .
I wonder what the manga looks like. I cannot find it anywhere on the internet.

Death Rogers

Great Old One
Years
The thing to the left on the first picture resembles Gengar. While the snake thing looks like a mix between a Dragonair and a Gyarados.

Odd how those early drawings turned into what is today's Pokemon as we know it.

Back