• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The end of an era?

What style will you be using after D/P are released

• D/P Style

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • FR/LG/R/S/E Style

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • R/B/Y/G/S/C Style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-Pokémon

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruyin

Skilled RMXP Mapper
Years
  • Now that Diamond and Pearl are closing in on us, will making games in D/P style become the norm, and GBA style old-school. Personally I hope GBA style lives on, what do you guys think?

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    i think we will get i mix of the two however i think the gba ones will be more populer because the ds ones are harder to get as the ds can't realy be emulated to rip the chipsets from, so i think GBA will live on yay!

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • Definitely GBA style. D/P style uses real 3D, using it with a 2D system is a waste.
    D/P doesn't use real 3D, it's more of an isometric, pseudo-3D type style. It's very possible to use those graphics in RMXP.

I think it'd be quite a while before D/P graphics become the standard, if it ever does. for that to happen, DS ROMs need to be working for people to rip the graphics from, and as far as I'm aware, that's going to be a while.

I think pretty soon, the norm will be GBA style with custom tiles and other graphics thrown in too, that's what seems to be going on more and more lately.

Years
  • I think I will always use custom graphics or RTP graphics. For most other people, FR/LG will probably be his/her standard. D/P graphics generally do not look good in 2D.

Crazy Weavile

Manufacturing a deity
    Years
  • D/P doesn't use real 3D, it's more of an isometric, pseudo-3D type style. It's very possible to use those graphics in RMXP.

I think it'd be quite a while before D/P graphics become the standard, if it ever does. for that to happen, DS ROMs need to be working for people to rip the graphics from, and as far as I'm aware, that's going to be a while.

I think pretty soon, the norm will be GBA style with custom tiles and other graphics thrown in too, that's what seems to be going on more and more lately.

It really does use 3D with textures, believe it or not. Pika's even got a mapviewer... it doesn't apply textures yet. But it views the maps in 3D w/o textures.

So, it's going to be FRLG+Custom until we get a 3D program with fixed camera angles.

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
  • I'm taking it one step at a time. But, I think I may stay with the GBA graphics for a while. Although it would be really fun to make a mod with 3D graphics!!! *_*
    But time will tell, still, I hope someone makes a succesfull emulator. It's not impossible. But its not easy either.....or is it!!!? @_@

RM2K3kid

Insane..
    Years
  • I'll stick with 2D.. IMO DP graphics aren't all that good in 2D. If we can somehow make a game like DP with the 3d buildings and such then I may give it a go but until then 2D all the way.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I don't think Diamond/Pearl graphics will become the standard for awhile. As everyone pointed out, D/P resources are hard to get. Like thats the reason I gave up on SilkDP - lack of resources. But I do think people will make their own edits of the graphics for their games. I've seen alot of projects here that use a sprited form of the graphics.

RLan69

Pokemon Junkie Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    I'll be using D/P sprites for the in-battle Pokes, but prolly FR/LG for the overworlds...

DeM0nFiRe

Running for Supreme Ruler :)
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2022
    D/P doesn't use real 3D, it's more of an isometric, pseudo-3D type style. It's very possible to use those graphics in RMXP.

Uhh...actually, it's not even isometric. it's a mode-07. isometric uses 3d terrain and objects in 2d movement. D/P is 2d terrain and 2dobjects that are tilted away from the terrain.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Thats wrong. DP is tiled is 3D. Filb.de has map extractions which shows the wireframe of the maps, and just look at the game's intro whe it shows a different angle of the town.
    It's the cameras position i nthe game which gives the look of 2-D.

Lihinel

so what?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2008
    I dont realy know ow it is exactly, but i know some of the scenes menioned by Neo Dragon, and i guess he might be right.

And about the topic, i hope that many will stay with FR/LG/R/S/E Style and ad some custom tiles in the same style.
    D/P looks a bit ugly when used as normal tiles for a 2D Map Editor

Squirtlelord

Some person
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2007
    D/P graphics aren't so great...You know, most people expect a more advanced layout for a DS game than what was just thrown at us. The Pokemon overworld graphics merely altered to a psudo-3D genre. Not much different, but the non-flat world rankles everyone.

(Oh yeah, do any of you know of a finished fan made pokemon game? Thanks, I've been searching for ages.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back