• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Following a Maiden Voyage!" Episode Discussion

Years
  • Here is where you can discuss the first episode of Diamond/Pearl, along with the introduction of both the land of Sinnoh and the new female lead, Dawn, in the rebooting "Following a Maiden Voyage!"

My review to come forthwith.

I'll let Icha or Reyna take care of the other two. Whee?

Last edited:

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • Alright, it hasn't finished yet but, whatever.

First thing. That. Theme. Song. Was. Terrible. Awfull. Not worth anything. Honestly, I mean it was BAD... yep.

Dawn's voice...egh.... she sounds a little to young for my taste.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Watching it and it's not that bad, aside from that opening which is just WTF. I really like Dawn and Paul's voice, still not that happy about the name changes, but everything is going good for the dub so far.
    Dawn's voice...egh.... she sounds a little to young for my taste.
    She's...10. She is young.

~Misty~

*~The Tomboyish Mermaid~*
    Years
  • Yeah the opening killed me! But I kind of liked Dawn's voice and all in all it just wasn't "Following a Maiden Voyage!" it was 3 episodes mushed together.

Piplup's voice was how I imagined it!

Paul is such a SOB. I hate to say it but he is so weird and only catches the strongest ones! I wanted to punch him!

Seems like Carnivine is the new Victreebel! (James says "Your Mother!" I Kind of giggled!:) )

Jessebell made an appearance I wish she came back and was like, "JAMES!!!!"

All in all, a great season so far, the episode all together I'll give it a solid 4.5/5.

Mainly for Opening Murder and some plot stuff as well.

But June, (when the new season is released) Come on!

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah... my expectations for the theme song were at least a little higher than that... x__x That theme song was horrible. It sounded like one of the really old 4Kids' songs on the 2 B A Master soundtrack...

But anyhoo, the first time I heard Dawn speak I was all "Gah! Its horrible!" ...but it only took like... two minutes to get use to it, and then I was all "Its kinda cute!" x3
    I liked her voice, even though she sorta sounded like a Powerpuff Girl.

I liked Shinji's dub voice as well... it was smexy.
    What was with that whole 'Stand by..!' deal? What is he a radio announcer?
    But it bugs me that Shinji (refusing to call him Paul) is so much like Drew.. x_x; They need to be more original... even though that general I'm-better-than-you Rival attitude is hot.

oO; ....

What?! oo

Anyhoo...I'd been counting down the minutes for like two weeks, especially this week... xD School went so slooow~ but it was worth it I'd say... it was alot better then I expected.
    <3

...But now theres no more until June! T-T

...Maybe I'll re-watch it later on tonight when it encores. xD

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Aww, man. I missed the opening... but I guess I'll get to hear it when the episode airs again later. xD; Eh, I'm not getting too excited after reading a few of the comments here.

But anyway, it wasn't any worse than what I was expecting--I've pretty much gotten used to all of new voices and stuff. Didn't like the name changes, especially Hikari's (maybe I'm just biased because that's the name of the Japanese version of my favorite song, Simple and Clean) but I didn't really have a problem with both her and Shinji's voice. I'll admit that it took me a while to get used to them--especially his, because it sounded so mature, but I guess that it suits his personality pretty well.

What bugs me most are the new names for some of the Pokémon. Piplup? Turtwig? Ugh, I'll never accept them! XD;

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • Watching it and it's not that bad, aside from that opening which is just WTF. I really like Dawn and Paul's voice, still not that happy about the name changes, but everything is going good for the dub so far.
    She's...10. She is young.

I know she's 10. But she sounds younger then that in my opinion. hm... maybe I'm just to used to May...

.Bastion

O a t h k e e p e r
    Years
  • Yeah... my expectations for the theme song were at least a little higher than that... x__x That theme song was horrible. It sounded like one of the really old 4Kids' songs on the 2 B A Master soundtrack...

But anyhoo, the first time I heard Dawn speak I was all "Gah! Its horrible!" ...but it only took like... two minutes to get use to it, and then I was all "Its kinda cute!" x3
    I liked her voice, even though she sorta sounded like a Powerpuff Girl.

I liked Shinji's dub voice as well... it was smexy.
    What was with that whole 'Stand by..!' deal? What is he a radio announcer?
    But it bugs me that Shinji (refusing to call him Paul) is so much like Drew.. x_x; They need to be more original... even though that general I'm-better-than-you Rival attitude is hot.

oO; ....

What?! oo

Anyhoo...I'd been counting down the minutes for like two weeks, especially this week... xD School went so slooow~ but it was worth it I'd say... it was alot better then I expected.
    <3

...But now theres no more until June! T-T

...Maybe I'll re-watch it later on tonight when it encores. xD

I agree. At first I nearly changed the channel when I heard Dawn's voice, but after about five minutes I got used to it. It does actually portray her age well. Paul's voice was actually pretty cool IMO. James' was probably the worst. Everyone else had decent voices.

Theme song could've been better. I can safely say I liked the Japanese opening better, but not everything can be perfect. =/

Overall it looked pretty good. I look forward to the season coming out in June.

RLan69

Pokemon Junkie Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    ARGH I hate Dawn. She's such a ditz. Even May wasn't THAT ditzy. She does NOT look like a ten year old. She's wearing a damn mini skirt...Carnivine sounds high :D (I'm glad he's rare, I won't be looking for him very often any time soon...)
    I would like to play James' Kangaskhan vs. Hitmonchan fighting game of course :D

Years
  • Yeah, it is three episodes smashed together (fitting as the episodes aired back-to-back in Japan), and I treated it as such. Since Icha and Reyna are into it, I'll let them have free reign for the next four episodes. Besides, couldn't do them anyway -- PC crashed on me. Heh.

And yeah, Dawn is a Loli type, isn't she? Pair her with James! Heh. And she sounds like Lisa Ortiz, but not. Weird.

Beyond that, it was a good episode setup, although, part 3 had bizarre pacing (more on that later). It's more of a reboot than the first Hoenn episode, that's for sure.

I need to check something in the voice cast, but if I'm right on a certain voice actor (curse you, smushed credits!), I'm going to die of delight.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I thought Dawn's voice was good. I will get used to it really quick. Paul's voice sounded to mature, but it was great. Piplup and Starly were soooo CUTE! The theme song was okay. I really enjoyed the screen shots though.

Professor Rowan's voice sounded like a Englishman. I really liked his voice.

It is just me or Officer Jenny sounded like she did from Season 1 to 6? If not, then the new voice actress did a great job!

Paul needs to work on his compassion with his Pokemon. He just looks for power than training them. He lets them go if they weak! What is up with that?! He is the exact opposite of Ash. I think he will be a great rival for Ash.

Brock was funny like always. Team Rocket as well. And I was glad Ash found Pikachu.

I thought it was a great episode(s). It was worth waiting for. Now got to wait for two months...

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I really wanna know who voiced Dawn, it sounded so familiar but I couldn't figure it out... D:

I must know!

~Misty~

*~The Tomboyish Mermaid~*
    Years
  • I Luved the girl Brock took a ride with (Can't remember her name) but she was sooooo funny, Excellent Voice acting!

(Dawn looking shocked at Brocks sudden over-loviness over Officer Jenny)
    Dawn: "Is something wrong with Brock?"
    Ash:"Not for him."

I laughed at a whole lot of the moments!

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
    Years
  • The whole thing was pretty good. The opening was "meh". Really meh. We have a new fan service loli girl in Dawn. Unlike May, she lacks the figure of a 16 year old girl, but makes up for it with the miniskirt. The chan boards are rejoicing. :tired:

James almost gets a visit from Jessibella, AKA, Pokemon's Dominatrix Queen. Yikes! Paul was pretty badass, how he let Pokemon go in such a cool way. Now I want to abuse Pokemon too! :D

Did anyone notice that we didn't see Persian in Giovani's lap. Maybe it's been replaced with a Purgly?

Besides the fact that Cartoon Network used the original Japanese episodes for their previews of this episode (I could here Pochama and James' JP voice actor, though his name escapes me), everything was so-so. Can't wait for the rest in June.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Since Icha and Reyna are into it, I'll let them have free reign for the next four episodes.

I guess I should be honored...except I'll probably be busy with the DS games. Kept me off here yesterday...

Anyway, the special...first off, I HATED THE OPENING!!!!!! It was the first time I actually felt like turning the channel just because of the opening theme. I mean, for goodness sake, it sounded almost like Christopher Walken was singing O.O;;.

Other than that, though, it wasn't too bad. I can already tell that there's going to be LONG pacing in the series. The voices weren't so bad, either (Professor Rowan reminded me of Brandon XD). That "Stand By!" thing with Paul bugged me, though...

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • Well I am not sure if I should do the next episode since they are all were shown like one whole long speacial movie so I guess I wait until June when they start the regular new episodes. Teeheehee. Also my TV had the three episodes as one under the title of Adventures in Sinnoh

Well I really enjoyed this episode a lots. I mean where to start? With Dawn? James at his house? Pikachu's curse? Paul?

Dawn. Well she is really super perky!!! Teeheehee I mean she isn't like May or Misty because of how she speaks. I mean it like they gave her some great slang terms like "extra crispy" and others. I just love how they made Dawn speak. Expanding our vocabuary!!!! Super coolie. Me likes lots. Teeheehee. Also Pulup and Dawn made a great combo together. I love how they were fighting.

James at his house!!! Oh my gosh!!!! I just love it when they bring thing from past episodes to the present. Jessibell and James's parents. So coolie. For once the writers rememeber about James's fear and Meowth remember it too which is even better. I mean just love that look that James had when they metnion that Jessibelle and his parents were coming. Then when they phoned the Boss was even better when they hanged up with him. You think he really has forgotten about them?

You know what? I don't think it is Ash's responsiblity for all those bikes. It is mostly Pikachu's curse for that happening but kinda over done now don't you think?

They really found the great voice to match the meanness of Paul. That is all I have to say about him. Perfect.

Still this is kinda getting to me. It seems like they just did a direct translation of the Japanese script. I mean most of the time it is okies but you can really hear what I am talking about when ever Ash says, "I am going to be Pokemon Master!" I mean maybe it is me but isn't there suppose to be a the or an a there? It just really bother me lots to hear him say that. "I am going to be a Pokemon Master!" or "The greatest Pokemon Master!" Did anybody else had a problem with this too?

Well it was a great opening episode over all and can't wait for June. I got next pick on the next new episode!!!

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • The opening... I have to say that was one of the worst openings for Pokemon I have ever seen. And I'm not exaggerating... It was too short, but that was good because the theme song was errrgh....

Hikari's dub voice was okay, I found it a little bit too high, but it's fine. I still havent watched enough to where they repeated the "Daijyoubu" bit in the Japanese version, into a translated English saying for her.

Piplup was like, no... for me. IMO it sounded like a bit like Torchic but it didnt suit it. That voice made it lose all it's "coolness" that it had in the Japanese version.

Years
  • Well, Icha, Reyna, whatever you go with is fine by me.

Anyway, besides the opening attempting to sound like one of 4Kids' themes, there is one thing that truly bugged me: where is Team Rocket? This is the second theme in a row where they've been ignored. In BF, I didn't mind as much, for their Spurt graphic was...mildly amusing at best, but here? I actually liked their "Together" shot, so I'm rather annoyed here.

Come on, PUSA, what's with you and the Rockets?

The awesome thing for me personally: in my re-watching, I finally figured out Paul's voice: His VA is Jake's voice actor from Daria. That rates as a "OMG!!!" from me.

Thus far, this is two Daria voice actors on the series: Kevin/Mr. O'Neill's VA (Marc Thompson) was on the series from 02-06. Video game canon characters: Maxie off the top of my head. Just foamed from the mouth here.

Last edited:
    Back