• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Safari Gold

Do you agree with a Safari in Gold and Silver?

• It's a GREAT idea!

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • We can dump all the Pokemon we can't get in there.

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • I never really liked the Safari...

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • What's a Safari?

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Fellest Revolution

I am everywhere and nowhere!
Years
  • I just HAD to tell someone when I found this out!

I was hacking into a gold game on my computer- I know I shouldn't, but I'm a horrible person and that's why I'm here -and I came across a map I didn't recognise. It was all grassy, like the park above Goldenrod. I just the map numbers on the warps and tracked it back to a gateway. And I did the same with those warps and discovered something... amazing:

GOLD WAS GOING TO HAVE A SAFARI ZONE! I flipped when I discovered this. I changed around some of the warps and took a walk around the place myself: It's got, just, white ground behind the warp and two fountains. It's just a- really -small map of long, short grass and large trees around it. No Pokemon though...

Cool, isn't it!

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Well it wasn't added into gold, the map is there but nothing happens on it besides glitches...Anyone can easily expand and repoint the map and then add warps, events and signposts into it.

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
    Years
  • Lol coolboyman did? Well Yeah C/S/C were suppose to then they replaced it with National Park. but its some sort of glitch to get in safari zone and then Its not a glitch cuz the tiles seems to be complete, just closed

DizzyTech

Can't find his Emerald copy.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2008
    There was no Safari Zone because, if they implemented it fully, Glitch City could still be used.

Ryousha

Years
  • Ummm....there was a safati zone just google it ;) you can only get there by gameshark but it proves that there was one becausee all the tiles werent incomplete they seemed complete everything looked complete but there was going to be one but i guess Game Freak replaced with national park

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Ummm....there was a safati zone just google it ;) you can only get there by gameshark but it proves that there was one becausee all the tiles werent incomplete they seemed complete everything looked complete but there was going to be one but i guess Game Freak replaced with national park

It wasn't replaced or anything. They just ran out of room on the game pak. Think about it. Cinnabar island is nothing, there's really no cave (that one that articuno is in), mt. moon is sooo much smaller, and viridian forest is practically nothing. Don't you see? They just couldn't fit it all.

>Bent<

awhups
    Years
  • It wasn't replaced or anything. They just ran out of room on the game pak. Think about it. Cinnabar island is nothing, there's really no cave (that one that articuno is in), mt. moon is sooo much smaller, and viridian forest is practically nothing. Don't you see? They just couldn't fit it all.
    That's hardly it -- G/S have a huge amount of free space (including a whole bank!). The developers may have just wanted to make something new and implement the National Park, or (more likely) they were rushed in development and had to leave out some features.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Or maybe because of the known glitches of Glitch City and the Coffee guy and missingno (in Cinnabar East coast). But I also agree with the "rushing" idea, because there have been found maps for Cinnabar Lab...

Ryousha

Years
  • Yeah the game was kind of rushed because Like pokemon G/S/C came out like after 2 years or 1 or 3... But there was a safari zone just saying. and also That the probably did run out of space..But then Kanto was rushed alot I beated G/S/C in one day even with breaks only played 7 hours O.o

>Bent<

awhups
    Years
  • Or maybe because of the known glitches of Glitch City and the Coffee guy and missingno (in Cinnabar East coast). But I also agree with the "rushing" idea, because there have been found maps for Cinnabar Lab...
    That's certainly a possibility -- after all, they fixed the Missingno. encounter glitch in Yellow.
    and also That the probably did run out of space..
    They didn't run out of space. Gold and silver have plenty of space.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • Yes coolboyman found a whole load of beta maps, but not through dodgey glitches. My guess is that he searched for patterns in the code to find them.

>Bent<

awhups
    Years
  • Yes coolboyman found a whole load of beta maps, but not through dodgey glitches. My guess is that he searched for patterns in the code to find them.
    Blockdata for maps is around offsets A8000-B3FFF in Crystal, should be the same for Gold and Silver. I found one beta map on my own (but Coolboyman also found it on his own, apparently) by simply documenting the blockdata for existing maps and looking for gaps.

The Safari Zone is unique in that it actually has a map header. Only three beta maps with headers exist -- the Safari Zone, the gatehouse to the Safari Zone, and a house in Olivine City. Warps exist for these maps also, though you'd need to put a door or some such on the warp tile to actually be taken to the map.

The other beta maps in the programming don't have a header.

WindBlows

It's been a long time!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    do u have a pic?( oh why i have to enter a text more large)

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2014

It wasn't replaced or anything. They just ran out of room on the game pak. Think about it. Cinnabar island is nothing, there's really no cave (that one that articuno is in), mt. moon is sooo much smaller, and viridian forest is practically nothing. Don't you see? They just couldn't fit it all.
    You know the reason there's a bunch of stuff missing is because this wasn't at the exact same time in Kanto as it was in Red/Blue/Yellow/Green?

Take where you lived for example. Now, picture where you live years later, would it be exactly the same? No ;)

Last edited:

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    You know the reason there's a bunch of stuff missing is because this wasn't at the exact same time in Kanto as it was in Red/Blue/Yellow/Green?

Take where you lived for example. Now, picture where you live years later, would it be exactly the same? No ;)

There is evidence though that it was supposed to be bigger. I don't think they'd just scrap it all due to a different time period.

Back