• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What were they thinking? (2nd gen related)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2007
    I've been playing pokemon games ever since red and blue. As I look back at gold and silver I ask myself what was Nintendo thinking when they made those 2nd generation pokemon. Not to say gold/silver was a bad game….it gave us the night/day system which they brought back in diamond and pearl and more importantly the berries. I recently started to play my gold version for nostalgic reason and I had a few problems about the game…

1.Every new gerneration of pokemom Nintendo always gives us those ancient pokemon. No not kyogre and Groudon, I'm talking about kabuto omanyte ect. Every generation has one except gold and silver. They could have easily put one for more version exclusive pokemon.

2.It was a neat idea for Nintendo to do a different evolution route for gold and silver, just like what they did with gloom evolving into bellossom or poliwhirl evolving into politoed. Now it might not be a big deal to some of you but they never used this method on other pokemon game. A prime example on how Nintendo could of use this method is on minun and plusle, We all know that they are pikachu clones but they could at least given us a evolution route then letting them as a separate pokemon.

3.Catching one legendary dog is hard but catching 3 is impossible. Why did Nintendo have to make all three of them roam around the region? Why couldn't they make them stay in one place like the legendary birds? Yea I know that they are legendary and have high stats but they also have there respective weaknesses. Even latios and latias are worth more catching then the trio dogs because of their types, dragon and physic.

Now I know most of you will disagree on my list but it's just purely on my opinion on gold/silver. I'll say it again for fear of being flamed, I think the game is great and I had a blast playing it years ago I just think that those problems I listed were/are pretty big that Nintendo should have corrected when they were making the game.

Yoshistar64

Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!
    Years
  • Heh... don't worry about it! I agree with you a lot and it makes perfect sense. But Gold was my favorite version and there are a lot of good things about it as well as there are bad.

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Please don't double post, Nom Ekop. Use the edit button if you need to.

Meh, I like Gold/Silver. My favorite games in the pokemon game series. The legendary dogs are supposed to be a challange. It's not impossible. Just hard. Meh, I don't know what to say about the other stuff... I'll think about it later.

Amarillo Del Bosque Verde

The not so gentle giant.......
    Years
  • 3.Catching one legendary dog is hard but catching 3 is impossible. Why did Nintendo have to make all three of them roam around the region? Why couldn't they make them stay in one place like the legendary birds? Yea I know that they are legendary and have high stats but they also have there respective weaknesses. Even latios and latias are worth more catching then the trio dogs because of their types, dragon and physic.

Impossible?! You couldn't of been that good then, me and my friends all had all three, i alwats found them easier than Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Rebellious Treecko

The coolest.
    Years
  • 3.Catching one legendary dog is hard but catching 3 is impossible. Why did Nintendo have to make all three of them roam around the region? Why couldn't they make them stay in one place like the legendary birds? Yea I know that they are legendary and have high stats but they also have there respective weaknesses. Even latios and latias are worth more catching then the trio dogs because of their types, dragon and psychic.

I know what you mean by that.
    In Pokemon Crystal, you have to catch all three pokemon in order to get the Rainbow Wing and find Ho-oh.
    It really got on my nerves.

But I don't really see any bad things about G/S/C besides that.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I've been playing pokemon games ever since red and blue. As I look back at gold and silver I ask myself what was Nintendo thinking when they made those 2nd generation pokemon. Not to say gold/silver was a bad game….it gave us the night/day system which they brought back in diamond and pearl and more importantly the berries. I recently started to play my gold version for nostalgic reason and I had a few problems about the game…

1.Every new gerneration of pokemom Nintendo always gives us those ancient pokemon. No not kyogre and Groudon, I'm talking about kabuto omanyte ect. Every generation has one except gold and silver. They could have easily put one for more version exclusive pokemon.

2.It was a neat idea for Nintendo to do a different evolution route for gold and silver, just like what they did with gloom evolving into bellossom or poliwhirl evolving into politoed. Now it might not be a big deal to some of you but they never used this method on other pokemon game. A prime example on how Nintendo could of use this method is on minun and plusle, We all know that they are pikachu clones but they could at least given us a evolution route then letting them as a separate pokemon.

3.Catching one legendary dog is hard but catching 3 is impossible. Why did Nintendo have to make all three of them roam around the region? Why couldn't they make them stay in one place like the legendary birds? Yea I know that they are legendary and have high stats but they also have there respective weaknesses. Even latios and latias are worth more catching then the trio dogs because of their types, dragon and physic.

Now I know most of you will disagree on my list but it's just purely on my opinion on gold/silver. I'll say it again for fear of being flamed, I think the game is great and I had a blast playing it years ago I just think that those problems I listed were/are pretty big that Nintendo should have corrected when they were making the game.

Gold/Silver/Crystal were my favorites. I'm not going to flame you, I'm not like that. So, I'm going to just give my own opinion and see if I can change yours:

1. The ancient pokemon. Okay. Everyone loves the Eeveelutions more than those, and there was no new evolution for them in the third generation. We were lucky to see more in the fourth with all the types there were before that. You can't have the same kind of pokemon appear in every generation otherwise is it easy to predict what kind of pokemon will be released, and how you can obtain them.

2. The line of Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu is enough. Personally, I don't think they have anything similar besides the fact they're the electric type and are little yellow rats, too. If anything, it'd be just TWO more baby versions of Pikachu, not stronger evolutions of it, so they should have their own evolution line.

3. If you complain about this, you complain about R/S/E and D/P as well lol.. There is Latios and Latias and Mesprit and Cresselia, and probably more. Also, it is not impossible.. There are many tips on how to catch them faster and easier on this forum. Just look around. Also, like my response to the second comment, it'd be easy to predict what types the legendaries will be and it will be nothing exciting to players.

=0

Years
  • In my honest opinion I think ALL legendary Pokemon should be loose like the 3 dogs. Already knowing where a legendary is and knowing what Pokemon to bring doesn't make it much of a challenge at all. Obviously they are hard to catch but if you fail one time you can just switch the game off and try again. Wheres the challenge in that? It would be major bragging rights to anybody who found one.

Back