• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Butterfree

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Is it just assumed Ash's Butterfree is a boy because it's mate was pink (a stereotipically'feminine' color) ?
I was thinking back on Ash's Butterfree for whatever reason, and it struck me that I always assumed it to be female when I was younger, only to discover differently later on Bulbapedia when it said it was male.
I rewatched "Bye Bye Butterfree" and they never seemed to mention gender at all. Was it mentioned in a previous episode I just don't recall?

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
All I can find is that misty referred to the butterfree as a "he" in that episode. Im guessing we're supposed to assume its gender.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
All I can find is that misty referred to the butterfree as a "he" in that episode. Im guessing we're supposed to assume its gender.
Hey, thank you. That's reason enough for me, and it puts me at some peace. I get pretty frustrated when I don't have clarity!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Genders didn't really exist in Pokemon until Gen 2 so none of the Gen 1 Anime specifically states anything about gender often. They tend just to refer to Pokemon by their names rather than use pronouns to refer to them.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Well... that still isn't really convincing as it's just how it was edited in USA version...
If Kasumi said "kare" in the Japanese version then it would be confirmed, though...

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
Is how XanderO said. When "Bye Bye Butterfree" was aired, there wasn't the gender-thing in the games.

Back