• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hidden Abilities!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
So, with the Fifth Generation, we got a few new things - improved wi-fi stuffs, moving sprites, and the Dream World. For now, let's focus on the dream world. This was an odd place, full of odd things to do. I must say...but what really attracted my attention were the Hidden "Dream World Abilities"...new abilities for existing Pokemon to have, e.g. Slowking getting Regenerator Technician Scizor, and much more!
So what did you think? Do you think DW Abilities are a waste of time? Or necessary in battle?
Discuss ^-^

Last edited:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think the DW addition itself was a fun addition, and more specifically the hidden abilites themselves! Some really are a waste of time imo, like wanting to get a beldum with Light Metal for example. Some other are really great though. I like them in general because they give you an extra option on how you want to use your Pokemon in battle :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
DW abilities are pretty much a mixed bag for me. Some Pokémon really improved with their new abilities (Politoed, Ninetales, Dragonite, Blaziken, Venusaur), others find the new abilities as bonuses to their battle performance (Salamence, Breloom, Charizard, Infernape) and several find their DW abilities useless (Drapion, Delibird, Walrein).

Years
I have to admit some of these abilities really changed the competitive scene a lot for some Pokemon, like Politoed getting Drizzle (which now makes it a staple in Rain teams), Breloom getting Technician (which gives it 90 BP Mach Punches!), Venusaur getting Chlorophyll (now a big threat on sun teams) and loads more!

However, I was not happy with Delibird's Hidden Ability though, because it functions exactly the same as another ability it has lol.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Some hidden abilities are awesome, some make even a Pokemon like Ditto with its low stats a real threat.

Zekrom1066

Master of Ideals
Years
To competitive battle players, it's necessary.

Politoed and Ninetales can now summon permanent rain and sun respectively, making up for the absence of Kyogre and Groudon in OU.

Dragonite and Lugia can now wall attacks better with full HP.

Venasaur now finds its place in most sun teams.

Moxie makes Salamence an even bigger threat then it used to be, when its already notorious for firing monstrous Outrages and Draco Meteors.

Breloom's Technician boosts the power of Bullet Seed, however it cannot use Poison to its advantage anymore.

Thus, there are pros and cons of each Dream World ability :)

Back