• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokemon White: First competitive battling team]

Aeonz361

Army of 1
Years
  • salamence.png
    Aeonz361 Pokemon White team!
    Please Rate and Recommend!

My team at a glance:
    466.png
    mamoswine.png
    gallade_sprite_by_meleemovies-d34tjrc.png
    474.png

electivire.png

Electivire @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Motor Drive
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    - Cross chop
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Wild Charge

mamoswine.png

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
    Ability: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 / 4 HP
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Stone Edge

gallade.png

Gallade @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Steadfast
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    - Close Combat
    - Night Slash
    - Stone Edge / Ice Punch
    - Shadow Sneak

porygonZ.png

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Adaptability
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    - Tri Attack
    - Dark Pulse
    - Trick Room / Thunderbolt
    - ?

I decided to take out Snorlax and fill in with Gallade and added P-Z as well. Once again I'm stumped as to my last two Pokemon, so hopefully with the rates and comments I can get a better picture of whom to use. Thanks

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    salamence.png
    Aeonz361 Pokemon White team!
    Please Rate and Recommend!

My team at a glance:
    SnorlaxSmallSprite.gif
    466.png
    mamoswine.png
    questionMarkIcon_Small.png

snorlax.png

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Ability: Immunity
    EVs: Atk 252 / Def 252 / SpeDef 4
    Nature: Lonely
    - Giga Impact
    - Rest
    - Crunch
    - Body Slam

electivire.png

Electivire @ ?
    Ability: Motor Drive
    EVs: ? / ? / ?
    Nature: ?
    - ?
    - ?
    - ?
    - ?

mamoswine.png

Mamoswine @ ?
    Ability: Oblivious
    EVs: ? / ? / ?
    Nature: ?
    - ?
    - ?
    - ?
    - ?

I have Snorlax, Mamoswine, and Electivire already and Snorlax's EVs are done though I'm not to sure about his moveset. I'm not sure what EVs to do for Mamoswine and Electivire or not sure of a good moveset. I have no idea what Pokemon to use for the last 3 slots. Please rate my current team and recommend movesets and EVs for Electivire and Mamoswine. Also recommend the last 3 slots and EVs and movesets. Thanks.

Hey there.

Unfortunately, the raters here can not build a team for you. ;( Sorry to say, but you're going to need to have a better idea of what all, if not most, of your Pokemon are going to be and their movesets. I mean, we're here to help you, not do it for you. If you want help with Movesets / Natures / Evs for one or two specific Pokemon, or if you want to know what Pokemon can be a good teammate for another, than please post in the Q&A Sticky at the top of the forum. Otherwise, we can't rate your team as you've presented it to us. We can't just look at three Pokemon and say that Ferrothorn is the next best option for your team, you know? The raters here can help you best when we see your whole team and the synergy/strategy between them. That way, the raters can look at your team as a whole and individually, then recommend better and stronger movesets that will assist, not only that Pokemon, but your team all together.

However, while we're here, let me help you as much as I can.

Electivire
    @ Expert Belt
    Motor Drive
    252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack]
    - Cross Chop
    - Thunder Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake

This is probably the most standard, yet effective (and self explanatory), set you could ask for. With these moves, you can hit 13 out of 17 types super effectively. Cross Chop and Earthquake provide the majority of the coverage while Ice Punch deals with the Ground and Grass types that resist your STAB attacks. Thunder Punch is there so you can hit hard and get the STAB. Thunderbolt is a viable option... but Thunder Punch will hit Pokemon with similar defensive stats with superior power. The EVs reflect all of that. If you want, you can even use a Pokemon on your team to lure Electric attacks, switch to Electivire, and activate Motor Drive to get a nice boost to Speed. Of course, now that the team preview has been implemented on PO, this strategy will be quite predictable. That being said, you can also use a Choice Scarf to make Electivire less dependent on Motor Drive.

I also have a few things to say about Snorlax. Why do you have a Lonely nature, yet you're investing EVs into Defense? Snorlax works better with an Adamant nature. Second, I don't know about Immunity so much. Having the immunity to Poison is surely a blessing, but Thick Fat makes Fire and Ice type moves 50% less effective. I was always under the impression that Thick Fat was generally considered to be the best option of the two, and personally, I've never seen Immunity in action. Could someone else cover this? Third, moves like Giga Impact, Hyper Beam.. etc (two-turn moves) are not very good competitively. All they do is give your opponent a free turn to set up against you. Snorlax has better options like Superpower, Earthquake, Return, Fire Punch, Counter... Heck, you could even go with Sleep Talk, Curse, or Whirlwind if you feel so inclined. It all depends on how you want to play Snorlax. I'm assuming you'd want to go with an all out offense Snorlax seeing as you've invested so much into Attack. I suggest Superpower or Fire Punch / Earthquake / Crunch / Body Slam or Return with 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Sp.Defense, an Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack] nature, and maybe a Choice Band or Life Orb. This set does not include Rest, as you can see. So just let us know how you want to run Snorlax and the raters can give you an excellent moveset that will accommodate your play style and still use Snorlax to its full potential.

I can't speak for Mamoswine very well, and there are other raters here who can suggest a legendary moveset that really works with all of Mamoswine's advantages.

I hope you found this a little helpful. Please edit your post and give us the rest of your team. It doesn't have to be perfect, that's what the raters are here to help with, but we do need to see at least *most* of your team, not half of it. If not, then we just can't give you any true advice because we don't know what you want. You get back what you put in, you know?

Anyway, good luck to you. :)

Aeonz361

Army of 1
    Years
  • Thanks so much Alexial! Judging from some of the other posts you're easily, in my opinion, the best team rater! Thanks once again. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Since your Mamoswine may have come from Gen V itself, (where Stealth Rock isn't available as a TM), you might want to try this Mamoswine set out:
    -Earthquake
    -Icicle Crash (breed female Piloswine with male Beartic to get it)
    -Stone Edge
    -Ice Shard
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Band

Also, Wild Charge would be more effective as a STAB move on Electivire than ThunderPunch would.

Snorlax isn't as good as it used to be this gen, but its nature (Lonely) just won't cut it. It's still better as Adamant:
    -Body Slam/Return (Giga Impact sucks competitively, since it leaves you a sitting duck on the next turn)
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch/Fire Punch
    -Pursuit (breed for it)
    EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 SDef
    Item: Choice Band/Leftovers

Aeonz361

Army of 1
    Years
  • Since your Mamoswine may have come from Gen V itself, (where Stealth Rock isn't available as a TM), you might want to try this Mamoswine set out:
    -Earthquake
    -Icicle Crash (breed female Piloswine with male Beartic to get it)
    -Stone Edge
    -Ice Shard
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Band

Also, Wild Charge would be more effective as a STAB move on Electivire than ThunderPunch would.

Snorlax isn't as good as it used to be this gen, but its nature (Lonely) just won't cut it. It's still better as Adamant:
    -Body Slam/Return (Giga Impact sucks competitively, since it leaves you a sitting duck on the next turn)
    -Earthquake
    -Crunch/Fire Punch
    -Pursuit (breed for it)
    EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 SDef
    Item: Choice Band/Leftovers

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! :D

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    If you're looking for an offensive Mamoswine set this might do;

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    Snow Cloak
    - Earthquake
    - Icicle Spear/Ice Fang
    - Superpower
    - Ice Shard
    4 Hp | 252 Atk | 252 Spe

You could choose Life Orb if you want more freedom over moves than power but thats up to you. I can't really think of any other pokemon for you, but that's your job anyway, just focus on these pokemons weaknesses, and pick 'mon who cover it. I reccomend something with a bit of speed. Anyway hope I helped. :)

Aeonz361

Army of 1
    Years
  • If you're looking for an offensive Mamoswine set this might do;

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    Snow Cloak
    - Earthquake
    - Icicle Spear/Ice Fang
    - Superpower
    - Ice Shard
    4 Hp | 252 Atk | 252 Spe

You could choose Life Orb if you want more freedom over moves than power but thats up to you. I can't really think of any other pokemon for you, but that's your job anyway, just focus on these pokemons weaknesses, and pick 'mon who cover it. I reccomend something with a bit of speed. Anyway hope I helped. :)

You did help, thank'ee :P

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh wonderful!

I'm glad to see you came back and added some Pokemon to your team! However, we still need to know whether or not this is a UU team, or an OU team. I mean, right now, all of your Pokemon are UU.. which again, as I have stated before, is just fine as long as you're not trying to play in a standard environment. So just let us know exactly what this team is supposed to be, because there are other Pokemon in OU who outclass some of the Pokemon you currently have.

gallade.png

Gallade @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Steadfast
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    - Close Combat
    - Night Slash
    - Stone Edge / Ice Punch
    - Shadow Sneak

This seems like a pretty good set. There's really nothing that's any worse or better than what I'm about to recommend. Gallade has access to Psycho Cut- his primary Psychic type STAB attack. So, I suggest: Close Combat / Psycho Cut / Night Slash / Stone Edge or Ice Punch with a Life Orb. This set is pretty much like yours, but it allows Gallade to attack harder with the Life Orb support, but that's not to say that there's anything wrong with Shadow Sneak. Now, I would recommend a Choice Scarf/Band, but the main reason why some people don't like a Choice equipped Gallade is because there are just better users of Choice items out there. It really just comes down to personal preference, it might work for you and make Gallade less reliant on a priority move, it might be a severe hindrance. Anyway, Close Combat and Psycho Cut make up most of Gallade's offensive integrity, while Night Slash takes care of the Psychic types that resist them. Stone Edge is just a strong attack and Ice Punch is for coverage, but they can also be substituted with Shadow Sneak, X-Scissor, Earthquake, Brick Break, Leaf Blade, Focus Punch... and a bunch more. Also, Gallade uses Status effecting moves pretty well, with access to Will-o-Wisp, Thunderwave, and Hypnosis.

As far as EVs are concerned, it is safe to say that Gallade is in a different class in terms of Speed, so it may not be *necessary* to invest EVs in.. but in this Metagame, Gallade needs all the Speed it can get, in my opinion. With 252 in Speed, Gallade will be able to outspeed an Adamant Tyranitar at it's lowest, and a Jolly Weavile (with Scarf support) at its height. With a Jolly nature, full EV investment and Scarf support.. Gallade will be outseeding the likes of Crobat, Aerodactyl, and Jolteon. That being said, Gallade could also make good use of some EVs in Special Defense as it's typing doesn't resist special attacks very well.

Gallade is a Pokemon that I suggest you test out for a bit. Find out what you think you'll need the most between all power, all speed, status effects, Choice items, or a defensive variant.

porygonZ.png

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Adaptability
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    - Tri Attack
    - Dark Pulse
    - Trick Room / Thunderbolt
    - ?

Porygon-Z has an exceptional Special Attack, obviously. So a Choice Scarf is an exceptional item to complement that. However, Nasty Plot is totally viable in tandem with a Life Orb. However, with your current set, I recommend dropping Trick Room. It will not work in your favor when you're Choice-locked and slower than your opponent (maybe you just meant Trick?) Thunderbolt is an excellent option and Ice Beam (for the ever classic, BoltBeam) can walk on eggshells around everything that resists Tri Attack. Also, give some thought to Hidden Power [Fighting], which can take out Magnezone who resists Tri Attack and BoltBeam. Overall, you're not far from a very good set here. Well done.

Now, I'd like to address a problem with your team as a whole. You have a pretty staggering weakness to Fighting, as only Gallade resists it. Everything else takes neutral or super effective damage (more of the latter). So, adding a Pokemon that resists Fighting or does super effective damage back will help balance this. This will depend on which tier you want to play in. So, let the raters know and then we can start recommending good teamates for your Pokemon!

I hope this was helpful!

Aeonz361

Army of 1
    Years
  • Oh wonderful!

I'm glad to see you came back and added some Pokemon to your team! However, we still need to know whether or not this is a UU team, or an OU team. I mean, right now, all of your Pokemon are UU.. which again, as I have stated before, is just fine as long as you're not trying to play in a standard environment. So just let us know exactly what this team is supposed to be, because there are other Pokemon in OU who outclass some of the Pokemon you currently have.

This seems like a pretty good set. There's really nothing that's any worse or better than what I'm about to recommend. Gallade has access to Psycho Cut- his primary Psychic type STAB attack. So, I suggest: Close Combat / Psycho Cut / Night Slash / Stone Edge or Ice Punch with a Life Orb. This set is pretty much like yours, but it allows Gallade to attack harder with the Life Orb support, but that's not to say that there's anything wrong with Shadow Sneak. Now, I would recommend a Choice Scarf/Band, but the main reason why some people don't like a Choice equipped Gallade is because there are just better users of Choice items out there. It really just comes down to personal preference, it might work for you and make Gallade less reliant on a priority move, it might be a severe hindrance. Anyway, Close Combat and Psycho Cut make up most of Gallade's offensive integrity, while Night Slash takes care of the Psychic types that resist them. Stone Edge is just a strong attack and Ice Punch is for coverage, but they can also be substituted with Shadow Sneak, X-Scissor, Earthquake, Brick Break, Leaf Blade, Focus Punch... and a bunch more. Also, Gallade uses Status effecting moves pretty well, with access to Will-o-Wisp, Thunderwave, and Hypnosis.

As far as EVs are concerned, it is safe to say that Gallade is in a different class in terms of Speed, so it may not be *necessary* to invest EVs in.. but in this Metagame, Gallade needs all the Speed it can get, in my opinion. With 252 in Speed, Gallade will be able to outspeed an Adamant Tyranitar at it's lowest, and a Jolly Weavile (with Scarf support) at its height. With a Jolly nature, full EV investment and Scarf support.. Gallade will be outseeding the likes of Crobat, Aerodactyl, and Jolteon. That being said, Gallade could also make good use of some EVs in Special Defense as it's typing doesn't resist special attacks very well.

Gallade is a Pokemon that I suggest you test out for a bit. Find out what you think you'll need the most between all power, all speed, status effects, Choice items, or a defensive variant.

Porygon-Z has an exceptional Special Attack, obviously. So a Choice Scarf is an exceptional item to complement that. However, Nasty Plot is totally viable in tandem with a Life Orb. However, with your current set, I recommend dropping Trick Room. It will not work in your favor when you're Choice-locked and slower than your opponent (maybe you just meant Trick?) Thunderbolt is an excellent option and Ice Beam (for the ever classic, BoltBeam) can walk on eggshells around everything that resists Tri Attack. Also, give some thought to Hidden Power [Fighting], which can take out Magnezone who resists Tri Attack and BoltBeam. Overall, you're not far from a very good set here. Well done.

Now, I'd like to address a problem with your team as a whole. You have a pretty staggering weakness to Fighting, as only Gallade resists it. Everything else takes neutral or super effective damage (more of the latter). So, adding a Pokemon that resists Fighting or does super effective damage back will help balance this. This will depend on which tier you want to play in. So, let the raters know and then we can start recommending good teamates for your Pokemon!

I hope this was helpful!

Thanks, Alexial it really was helpful! I'll have to decide on the tier soon.

Snorelacks

I think you probably want to go UU, and if you choose to do so, Shiftry might support your team really well. It can run Baton Pass, Lead sets, or just sweep on its own.

If you use Shiftry, however, it will give your team three Pokemon weak to fighting, which makes your entire team considered "Weak to fighting". However, this is somewhat nerfed because you have a resistance to it. So Shiftry could be used in tandem with a wall (which you are lacking). My personal favorite here would be Uxie. Uxie is arguably the Underused environment's best mixed wall, with a huge Base 130 for both defensive stats and 75 Base HP, meaning that with a Bold nature and 31 IVs and 252 EVs in both defensive stats, Uxie reaches 200 Def/180 SpDef at level 50, and a whopping 394 Def/354 SpDef (rounded down) at level 100.

I would also like to agree with Alexial in that Life Orb>>>Choice Scarf for Porygon-Z with
    Nasty Plot/Tri Attack/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam.

EDIT: You don't want to give something slow and bulky a Focus Sash. Either reverse Gallade's HP and Speed EVs or change the item to Life Orb/Leftovers.

Last edited:
    Back