• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Changing type resistances/type effectiveness

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Something that'd definitely be awesome imo is if type resistances were changed around a little in these games. For example, Water resisting Steel, Poison not being super effective on Fighting... certain things could be changed to even things up to the real world (sorta??). Do you think something like this is likely to happen? What types especially could do with altering? Would this affect in-game battling a lot, and how much would it affect competitive? Do you think it'd be okay if just one or two weaker types were changed, such as Flying, or Normal being super effective on something? Share yo thoughts.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Not all steel can be eroded by water. Only some alloys. Ships are made of metal and so are submarines and both can last for long periods of time in water without rusting.

I don't see anything that needs to be changed. Fighting types can overcome poisons. Take enough poisons and you eventually become immune to it. Get aid with a deadly poison can do the same thing. Same with various illnesses.

Other than changing a resistance with Ghost (only one is bug) so its no longer resisting one type shared with Dark would be the only thing I could see happening. This way Spiritomb, Sableye and any future Dark/Ghost typed Pokemon will have a weakness to exploit.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't see them changing anything with the new generation. I think the only changes they made after the first generation were to fix up the typing chart, and ever since it has remained the same. I don't really see the point of changing something that's been established that long, especially when it would only really bring confusion if anything. If they had a good reason to do so (and in my opinion they do not), then I'd be all for it. Right now I think the typing chart makes sense, so there's no point in changing anything.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
You guys do realize that Ice and Poison types are currently the worst types in the series because of the lack of type resistances/type effectiveness. Ice is outclassed by Water for having access to Ice moves and no Stealth Rock weakness, whereas Poison only has one type advantage against Grass, even though Grass' other weaknesses are better. Because of this, Pokemon associated with these two types are in the lower tiers forever be ridiculed by players for being inferior to the Pokemon in higher tiers. Abomasnow, Cloyster, and Mamoswine are only in OU because Abomasnow is a perma-weather summoner, Cloyster is the fastest Shell Smash user, and Mamoswine has a secondary Ground typing to neutralize Stealth Rock's effects. Ice types are in need for more type resistances to balance out their weaknesses to the most common types, and Poison needs 1 or 2 more type advantage to increase the use of Poison moves.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well if one thinks about it in a real life view it makes sense that ice is one of the weakest as it's quite fragile. I don't see any changes happening, other than maybe new type to shake things up.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Granted a new type is not on the table this generation, I don't think there will be any changes to the resistance or effectiveness of the current types. If there were, it would have happened long ago when GameFreak was cleaning up the rough edges of the type system in Gen II.

Pokedude3012

Slayer of Milotics
Years
Should type effectiveness be made more realistic?

Yesterday, I was playing Emerald. I had my experience share on lairon to get him evolved into an aggron. Anyway, I had my Swampert out and in Victory Road, a wild magneton appeared. I accidentally used earthquake rather than surf and was confuzzled by the fact that not only did it hit the levitating Pokemon, but it was super effective. So what I want to ask here is: should this system be made more realistic? Should Magneton have levitate ability, or should he specifically become immune to that move?

Last edited:

Kaisersaur

Veteran
Years
I dont think magneton or its evolutionary chain should have levitate. They aleady can use magnet rise. Although logically one would asume levitate as his ability.
In that case making it more realistic would be excluding some attacks as mud bomb, bonemerang, bone rush or mud bomb to be able to hit. Since really levitating wouldn't avoid them. In short it would have to even further classify attacks not only as status, physical or special. But to add also aerial, grounded or field affecting moves. They would need to adapt it individually for each pokemon's anatomy. And in my opinion that would be a nightmare. A cool nightmare though

Guy

just a guy
Years
The topic of this thread can fit in nicely with another thread discussing type effectiveness, so I'm just going to merge the two.

My person opinion on the matter though, when has Pokémon ever tried to remain within the realms of be logically realistic?

Back