• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

noMethod error after porting my game to V12

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    [Solved?] noMethod error after porting my game to V12

It seems that error has resolved itself in the two days since I posted about it. Not sure why, since I haven't touched the thing since then. Oh well. I've left it below for posterity.

It's back, with a vengeance.

Code:
    Exception: NoMethodError

Game_Character_1:198:in `screen_z'

Sprite_Character:148:in `update_or'

PerspectiveTilemap:429:in `shadow_update'

Shadow:179:in `update'

Sprite_Character:37:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'

PerspectiveTilemap:423:in `shadow_initialize'

Shadow:152:in `initialize'

Spriteset_Map:162:in `new'

Spriteset_Map:162:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

Spriteset_Map:161:in `each'
    So I have no idea what this means. I gather it has something to do with drawing shadows on events, and it's encountering a problem doing so. Why, though, escapes me, as I haven't modified any of the script classes named in the stack call in the error message. I will note this only occurs when attempting to warp to outdoor maps. I was not able to reproduce the error in a clean Essentials.

Why is it throwing this error? I remember there being something in an older version that drew shadows when there were light events, but I haven't made any of those... And since I can't find what the call is from, I can't isolate the problem. Bleh, I should be better at this considering I've been studying programming for 3 semesters now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Okay, so, it's back. I don't know why. I still haven't touched any scripts. This time, the error occurs on only one map, and it seems to do so when the player is close enough on a connected map for the map in question to load. The only things I did leading up to the re-occurance of the error were to change the tileset and the layout of the map, neither of which I should suspect would be the root of this problem. Since I have no idea what the stack call is doing, I really am at a loss as to how to fix this.

Help?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It seems that the game is trying to find the priority of a tile which doesn't exist. This could happen if you switched from a longer tileset to a shorter one.

Make sure all the tiles on your map actually exist in the tileset. I suggest that you fill in any blank-looking areas with a "junk" tile and them fill them in with the real blank tile.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Yep, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch, man. I'm not sure what part of the map exactly was causing that problem, but thorough replacement fixed it, so I guess it had to be at least one tile somewhere.

Back