• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMXP Maps?

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
  • When I create my map inside of RMXP and then play test it, there are certain squares I cannot pass through (and at this point, I have no passability set.) The square is just a regular piece of the path, just like the 100 others on the map. Also, there is a black part on the outside of the regular map which I did not create.

Does anybody know what is causing this or how to fix it?

Years
  • I actually think that its just "space." Confused? I don't doubt it. You see the maps are layered images, they all have edges. So a 3200 px by 3200 px image being used by a 400 by 300 window only used the portion of the image the character is centered on. So once the player reaches the edge of the image, there is nothing, by default it's black. The way to render this issue (not an issue if inside buildings, since that's what you want) is to line the outer seven tiles with trees or whatever you want to keep the blankness off the edge of the map from being seen. I hope this is what you were meaning.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
  • I actually think that its just "space." Confused? I don't doubt it. You see the maps are layered images, they all have edges. So a 3200 px by 3200 px image being used by a 400 by 300 window only used the portion of the image the character is centered on. So once the player reaches the edge of the image, there is nothing, by default it's black. The way to render this issue (not an issue if inside buildings, since that's what you want) is to line the outer seven tiles with trees or whatever you want to keep the blankness off the edge of the map from being seen. I hope this is what you were meaning.

It was but I don't know how to put tiles down on those edges, as they are not in the regular 35x45 map.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    When I create my map inside of RMXP and then play test it, there are certain squares I cannot pass through (and at this point, I have no passability set.) The square is just a regular piece of the path, just like the 100 others on the map. Also, there is a black part on the outside of the regular map which I did not create.

Does anybody know what is causing this or how to fix it?

Wouldn't this be better in the Help and Requests thread?

Anyway, for the first one, you probably used other tiles apart from the very top-left one to erase on layers 2 and 3. Use the rectangle tool with the very top-left tile to fill the whole map on layers 2 and 3.

As for the second one, just make the map bigger. You need 7 tiles to the left and right, and 5 to the top and bottom. If you right-click on the map name, there's a Shift function; this lets you move the entire map, so you can add tiles to the left edge after making it bigger with the Map Properties function.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
  • Wouldn't this be better in the Help and Requests thread?

Anyway, for the first one, you probably used other tiles apart from the very top-left one to erase on layers 2 and 3. Use the rectangle tool with the very top-left tile to fill the whole map on layers 2 and 3.

As for the second one, just make the map bigger. You need 7 tiles to the left and right, and 5 to the top and bottom. If you right-click on the map name, there's a Shift function; this lets you move the entire map, so you can add tiles to the left edge after making it bigger with the Map Properties function.

Solved both of my problems. Thanks a bunch Wichu. :)

Back