• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First WI-FI Team [Help]

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Hi Guys! so today I just picked up Pokemon White 2, And right now im battling the first gym with a Azurill and a Riolu, which is going to be part of my team, anyway. This is what I think will be a good team so far, help out and any suggestions will help ;)

Lucario:
    Close Combat
    Swords Dance
    Shadow Claw
    ExtremeSpeed

Azumarill:
    Toxic
    Waterfall
    Blizzard/Protect
    Hidden Power (Poison :D)

Flygon
    Fire-Punch
    Outrage
    U-Turn
    Earthquake

Starmie
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Rapid Spin

Breloom

Substitute
    Focus Punch
    Spore
    Seed Bomb/Stone Edge
    ( if i get Poison Heal )

Low Sweep
    Mach Punch
    Bullet Seed
    Spore
    ( if i get Technician)

Arcanine
    Flare Blitz
    ExtremeSpeed
    Wild Charge
    Morning Sun

Thank you to:
    PlatinumDude
    Slenderman
    Vanellope
    AzaleaLightning

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I'm not the best at judging movesets...But I'd like to point out that having Ice Beam as well as Blizzard for your Azumarill seems a bit pointless. Ice Beam only has 15% higher accuracy and is weaker by 25.

As for the other Pokemon, I see nothing obvious wrong. Though I see the same problem with Lucario's Aura Sphere and Close Combat.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If Lucario is using Swords Dance, then it should be using all physical moves. Heal Pulse only sees use in doubles/triples as it only heals the target, not the user:
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Ice Punch/Bullet Punch/Shadow Claw/Crunch
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Azumarill's offensive stats are equally low, but Huge Power allows it to have a high Attack, thus it needs to focus on physical moves. This set might need some breeding, though:
    -Waterfall
    -Aqua Jet
    -Superpower
    -Ice Punch/Return/Double-Edge
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power

Flygon should never go without Earthquake. Draco Meteor can be dropped for it. The EV spread should be 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe, the nature should be Adamant/Jolly and the item should be Choice Scarf.

Leavanny's movepool is pretty shallow. Scolipede's is wider, but it has less Attack and higher Speed:
    -Swords Dance
    -Megahorn
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide/Baton Pass
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Ability: Swarm

Edit: You're going to need 2 more Pokemon to fill in the gaps for this to be a full team.

Edit 2: As for Salamence, its other moves don't provide good coverage together aside from Dragon + Fire. Facade is also better off on Guts/Quick Feet/Toxic Boost/Poison Heal mons:
    -Outrage
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Aqua Tail
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Moxie

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Roost/Hydro Pump
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry/Life Orb

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast
    -Brick Break/Earthquake
    -Roost
    Nature: Rash/Naive
    EVs: 100 Atk/176 SAtk/232 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Outrage
    -Fire Blast
    -Earthquake
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 92 Atk/192 SAtk/224 Spe

Edit 3: Lickilicky, while interesting, has its flaws. It has a wide movepool, offensively and defensively, but its low Speed lets it down and its weakness to Fighting doesn't help either.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    If i do use it, ill probably HP and Def EV him, if i dont, what one should i use?

Last edited:

Vαηєℓℓσρє

ωнαт ωαѕ, ιѕ, αη∂ ωιℓℓ вє...
    Years
  • Your team would be easily obliterated if an Ice type came in and your Lucario was down already. PlatinumDude already gave some very great suggestions.

I wouldn't recommend a Lickitung with those moves, no. You probably need a good fire type to back you up and give you advantage over Ice and Steel types, or something to fill in the gaps. But really, PlatinumDude already corrected all of the problems I could think of aha.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Ive been thinking, I have nothing thats SE to a water type, should I worry or just take it out with powerful moves :p?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I haven't really done metagame since Gen IV but I can give you some basic tips, since I'm not familiar with Gen V's biggest threats.

I feel like Lucario can use a much better move than Shadow Claw, as I don't see it providing much coverage.

On Azumarill, I remember in Gen IV the Huge Power sets were really popular, which would cut out Scald, Blizzard/Protect, and Toxic from your team. Also, Return typically isn't a good move competitively. Another thing to note is Toxic + Scald don't seem to make a good combo, you generally pick one status infliction over the other and leave it as that. Try some physical moves like Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Superpower, Ice Punch, Brick Break, etc.

Another rule of thumb is to try to avoid using two moves of the same type.

Also, when posting teams to rate remember to include held items, EVs/IVs, nature, and ability.

I also don't see a particular weakness to Ice-types? Of course having Flygon and Salamence on the same team is pretty much asking for it, Turtle's biggest concern is Stealth Rock and other Rock-type moves. Arcanine, Salamence, and Scolipede are all very unhappy Pokemon in that situation.

And definitely get something to go against a Water-type. There are too many Water-types that you want to keep yourself covered against them. Gyarados, Jellicent, Starmie, Tentacruel, and Vaporeon all say 'hi', and I recall hearing Rain-teams are pretty popular in Gen V.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I haven't really done metagame since Gen IV but I can give you some basic tips, since I'm not familiar with Gen V's biggest threats.

I feel like Lucario can use a much better move than Shadow Claw, as I don't see it providing much coverage.

On Azumarill, I remember in Gen IV the Huge Power sets were really popular, which would cut out Scald, Blizzard/Protect, and Toxic from your team. Also, Return typically isn't a good move competitively. Another thing to note is Toxic + Scald don't seem to make a good combo, you generally pick one status infliction over the other and leave it as that. Try some physical moves like Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Superpower, Ice Punch, Brick Break, etc.

Another rule of thumb is to try to avoid using two moves of the same type.

Also, when posting teams to rate remember to include held items, EVs/IVs, nature, and ability.

I also don't see a particular weakness to Ice-types? Of course having Flygon and Salamence on the same team is pretty much asking for it, Turtle's biggest concern is Stealth Rock and other Rock-type moves. Arcanine, Salamence, and Scolipede are all very unhappy Pokemon in that situation.

And definitely get something to go against a Water-type. There are too many Water-types that you want to keep yourself covered against them. Gyarados, Jellicent, Starmie, Tentacruel, and Vaporeon all say 'hi', and I recall hearing Rain-teams are pretty popular in Gen V.

The reason why I suggested Shadow Claw and not Crunch is because Ghost + Fighting have unresisted coverage together; Crunch is also one of Lucario's egg moves. Breeding won't most likely be done in-game.

Azumarill can afford to use both Waterfall and Aqua Jet, the former as a relatively strong STAB move, and the latter as a priority move to take out weakened opponents.

A Grass Pokemon to fill in the last slot would be Ferrothorn:
    -Stealth Rock/Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip/Protect
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

If Stealth Rock is a problem, Starmie can act as a Rapid Spinner to get them off:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure

or
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks, Updated :) ( i might remove Salamance out of the team, if i do, who should i use? I might use Ferroseed, but i was thinking of a Breloom?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thanks, Updated :) ( i might remove Salamance out of the team, if i do, who should i use? I might use Ferroseed, but i was thinking of a Breloom?

It's your choice between Ferrothorn and Breloom.

Breloom:
    -Low Sweep
    -Mach Punch
    -Bullet Seed
    -Spore/Stone Edge
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
    Ability: Technician

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Seed
    -Mach Punch
    -Spore
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
    -Spore
    -Bullet Seed
    -Force Palm/Low Sweep
    -Stone Edge
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Choice Scarf

or
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Spore
    -Focus Punch
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 236 HP/252 Def/20 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

or
    -Substitute
    -Focus Punch
    -Spore
    -Seed Bomb/Facade/Stone Edge
    EVs: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

Also, you're wasting away Arcanine's good move pool:
    -Flare Blitz
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Crunch/Wild Charge
    -Close Combat/Morning Sun
    EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef/176 Spe
    Ability: Flash Fire/Intimidate

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks!, i guess im done, ill just leave the thread open for a few more days to see if i get any other suggestions :)

Back