• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Dance Doredia, dance! - Sprite/Animation Discussion

The Red Chain

So I was looking around here on PC for a bit and saw Pikachu's animation in someone's signature. I fell in love with it right away! <333 The way it dances is awwwwwwwwww. ^___^

025.gif

Then I realized while watching this little mouse dance that the old sprite/animation discussion ended back in November, so here I am bringing it back!
    Oh and Doreida's sprite/animation is another favorite of mine~.

549.gif

What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?
    What is your least favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?
    If you could change any Pokemon's animation, which one(s) and how? Why?
    Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why?

I'll post back later with my own answers! Enjoy!

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I was beginning to think what an odd thread this is by the title,I like Kyogre and Rayquaza's new animations the best
    Ps: how do you get those sprite from so I can post the ones I'm discussing about :)
    I think the full body is fine, I always wanted them to have the whole back sprite not just a part of it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?: Cofagrigus (for the way it withdraws its hands and face into its body), Dokkora (for the way it tosses its plank around), Reuniclus, Embpar, Zuruggu
    What is your least favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?: Daikenki
    If you could change any Pokemon's animation, which one(s) and how? Why?: For Daikenki, it should've appeared to be roaring on occasion because of how plain its current animation is.
    Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why?: It's a good idea because sometimes it's boring to see the Pokemon frozen in place after it's been sent out from the ball.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just so nobody forgets, general sprite discussion goes here.

Lemme think umm, these animations seem somewhat bad in terms of quality (I'm not sure, but something about how they move makes the edges of them look bad). But, what I do like most is that it's so easy to tell B/W animations because they're completely hilarious. I do like Vanilluxe's (oh no I'm using the names), since it sprays out ice which looks awesome and surprisingly I don't like Galvantula's as a whole but I... only like it cause it makes me laugh. XD I'll think of more later.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
  • What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?: Lilligant. I don't know why, but i just like it.
    What is your least favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?: Eelektross. I haven't expected it would jump in such clumsy way.
    If you could change any Pokemon's animation, which one(s) and how? Why?: Eelektross. I don't know for what, but i'm sure its animation is absolutely horrible.
    Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why?: I really love the animations. ^^ They add something new to the game.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?
    Out of all the Pokémon sprites and sprite animations, I would have to say Lilligant/Doredia's would be my favorite. Not only because it happens to be my favorite Gen V Pokémon, but the animation makes it seem so blissful. n_n

I don't really have a least favorite animation/sprite out of them all, mainly because I haven't memorized a whole lot of their animations so I couldn't really critic on them very well.

Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why?
    Like the above reason, I wouldn't really want to change any of their animations from what I've seen so far. As for the full-body animation on Pokémon, I don't really mind that at all.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • I still Love Victini's the best~ <3333 Looks all cute hopping around like a little bunny. ^^ <3333

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon? Escavalier! :D
    589.gif

...it looks like it's doing something naughty. :>
    What is your least favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon? I dunno, I like most of them. I haven't seen all of them, though.
    If you could change any Pokemon's animation, which one(s) and how? Why? Uhhhhh I have no idea. :[
    Do you think the full-body [on most Pokemon] animation was a good idea? If not, why? Yeah, I think it was an amazing idea. I mean, it kind of gets boring to just see the same ol' cardboard cutouts jiggling to attack each other...

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Omg;; I absolutely love the animated sprites; for some reason I've fell in love with these 2;
    267.gif

I love how it moves and randomly flutters from side to side<3

269.gif

I love how it's little legs move and also the same reason as ^

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Lemme think umm, these animations seem somewhat bad in terms of quality (I'm not sure, but something about how they move makes the edges of them look bad).

Most of the animation is done by auto-rotating limbs, which massively cuts down on the work compared to pixel-by-pixel animating when we're talking about over 600 Pokémon. It has the side effect of distorting the outlines and generally looking choppy.

The Red Chain

I still Love Victini's the best~ <3333 Looks all cute hopping around like a little bunny. ^^ <3333
    /legasp
    OMG, how could I forget Victini?! ;___;
    Wow I feel bad now... I'll post his sprite because that truly is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. <33
    494.gif

Futachimaru and Mijumaru have some really awesome animations too! [though Miju's is more cute than awesome]

501.gif
    502.gif

Futa looks ready to hurt someone when it picks up that shell. XD

Years
  • What is your favorite animation/sprite out of all the Pokemon?

Out of all the 5th generation Pokemon, probably Scrafty/Zuruzukin or Whimsicott/Erufuun:
    560.gif
    547.gif

I just like how Whimsicott's fur thingy bounces whenever it moves, and how Scrafty moves around before it jumps. :B

LILLIGANT (Doredia). It's just... not cute at all. >< It looks plain awkward when it bounces around, and moves it's... arms. Bleh, it's hideous, IMO. Dx

You know those Pokemon that you'd expect to open their mouths every once in a while during their animations, but don't? Yeah, those are the ones. T_T The only Pokemon I could really think of atm, are Hippopotas, Gulpin, Camerupt, Glalie... and a whole buncha others. :x

Y'know, at first... I HATED it. It just looked so weird to me. But I quickly got used to it, and now love how I no longer have to see only the top of certain Pokemon's bodies (*cough* Mamoswine and Camerupt >.>).

But yeah, I'm really enjoying the animated sprites thing. I'm just curious to whether GF will make new animations each generation, or just keep reusing the ones we have now. D:

The Red Chain

There's a couple animations that I think are really ridiculous, but I can only remember one right now. So, in my least liked section is where this guy is going :

621.gif

I don't like his design at all, and I thought for sure he'd redeem it with his animation but he just.. looks so stupid... ._.;

Years
  • I never seem to notice animations, but this one caught my eye:
    Spr_5b_559.png

It is simply hilarious. XD
    Can't say that I remember what a lot of them look like, but this one definitely sticks out in my mind. It's nice that they've animated all of them, but this is one where it actually adds something extra to the sprite. It just wouldn't work without the animation.

Years
  • 635.gif

I still love Hydreigon's animation, mostly because of his biting hands/heads. XD Looking pretty fierce.

As for Scrafty, well it's cute and all, with his pants issue, xD but still not a favorite.

iNinja

hi hello
    Years
  • Hands down
    272.gif

JOLLY DANCE.
    439.gif

I just like this one.
    202.gif

Wobbuffet is like, NU-UH.
    089.gif

And Muk is like, Ay wassup homie?