• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cable or the Alternative?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Do you presently subscribe to cable television or do you prefer cable alternatives like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc? Is the future with cable packages or these individualized a la carte type services?

Or do you torrent your entertainment?

Personally, I use Netflix and torrenting for entertainment purposes. I love Netflix... it's wonderful when you have a little one and want to find a cartoon for them to watch. :3

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I had Netflix, then tried Hulu Plus, and now I have Netflix again. I use Netflix or the internet if I ever do want to watch something. I don't even think my television picks up channels half the time. I don't complain since I usually don't watch cable.

Last edited:

TY

I dont have any of these, since i barely watch TV and when i want to its constantly onto the same channel 24/7 (thanks to my sisters, that channel is Disney Channel -sighs-)

So i use the internet for my entertainment instead of the TV...

Years
I tried Netflix but almost everything I was interested in wasn't available so I quit that before the trial was over. Most of my watching is done over the internet, but I do have a TV in my room that I'll turn on every once a while.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Although I hardly use the TV as my main source of entertainment, I do have cable television in my house. I rarely watch TV, though, but whenever I do watch it, you can usually find me watching the news or some sitcom I enjoy.

I get most of my entertainment off the Internet, specifically YouTube. There's never a day where I don't have a YouTube tab open, so I'd say YouTube is my main source of entertainment. I've subscribed to Netflix and Hulu before, but I hardly ever used them, probably because whenever I tried to look for something to watch, they never had anything I was interested in.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I don't even watch TV that much nowadays. :c

But if I did want to watch something, it's usually a healthy dose of either cable or Hulu (not Plus). I haven't bought Netflix nor Hulu Plus, but I feel like I will in the near future.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Online TV is my major source of entertainment, my own TV is on low volume just for noise - except when there are sporting events then I watch it on cable.

I don't like Netflix or Hulu, they never have any of the shows I want to watch, so I just find them other places online. YouTube is my major source for videos online.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I have netflix. I use it to catch up on the shows I wanted to watch, and there's a few anime TV shows that I was able to watch without torrenting or anything like that. Netflix is the greatest thing ever, and whenever there's nothing on TV, I just pop in a TV show and watch!

Years
Right now we've still got cable, even if I only watch it 2, maybe 3 times a week. I'd absolutely love to save money by switching over to Netflix and then stream any live programming through my computer, but the content on Netflix is so limited outside of the US that it just isn't worth it. And I guess watching things like sports is much better HD than through a stream, so I don't know if I'd exclusively switch over, anyway. If Canada can catch up in the amount of Netflix content, though, I'd gladly sign up.

Years
My parents still subscribe to DirecTV and they're paying a pain out of the bucket to keep it. While it may seem like you'd get the same stuff through Netflix and or Hulu Plus, I don't see how that necessarily is true. And I also hear that people advertise the Roku as a replacement for TV, but it's not, unless you have a subscription to a service such as Netflix, which leads that to be misleading.

I would probably watch a whole lot more on TV if I did have a Netflix or Hulu Plus subscription, but considering how much my parents "adore" their TV subscription, I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I don't really feel like spending a pirate's treasure on something I would watch seldomly, so I figured I would either connect my HTPC to regular television or something (you know, the bare basic unsubscribed TV) or I would just buy the DVDs of any show I would like to watch.

I have digital cable right now and I barely watch it. No way am I paying top dollar for something I would watch maybe five hours out of the month.

tnfsf11

I'd say cable, it's just not the same experience watching a movie/show on a PC screen...
Besides that, of course, Netflix & Hulu are not available where I live :P

Years
Currently, I have access to Netflix, a whole Dish Network satellite receiver to myself, and then all of the free stuff over the internet. I am considering continuing to pay my parents for the use of the receiver I pay for when I move out and just using Slingbox to finish watching whatever shows I'm watching when I move out, then getting my own service at a later point in time. I do frequently use Dish, as that's how I keep up with Pokemon and about half of the shows running on Toonami, making for about 3 hours of new content a week, with potentially more coming up as Pokemon approaches its next English season and as the Adult Swim Toonami block nears the end of a few shows that I wasn't watching. Not any low-maintenance alternate means to keep up with those on a weekly basis that I've found as of yet.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I haven't really watched television since I was about fifteen or so. If there was something I wanted to watch I would look at it if it were on Netflix, and I even needed to cancel that because I didn't use it very often.

Back