• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One-Shot Question

LugiaFreak

Years
  • I know what a one-shot in fanfiction is in a nutshell -- a story that is only one chapter long and about 500-1,000 words. But, I was wondering if a one-shot could be a cliffhanger, or rather, an ending that leaves the reader wondering what happens next without any text left to explain. I've read that all conflicts in one-shots are supposed to be resolved within the single chapter, but the idea that I have wouldn't follow these guidelines.

...Sorry, that was rather wordy. ._.;;

But, would something like that still be considered a one-shot?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Well, a one-shot doesn't have a set limit, nor does it necessarily need to be a chapter's length. For example, when I wrote my one-shot Indebted, my average chapter length was about five pages. Indebted weighed in at eleven. Just thought I'd clear that up for ya. Anyway, just as a select few chaptered stories take cliffhanger endings (one of my stories did this, if you didn't count the epilogue making it rather obvious what had happened), one-shots can be cliffhanger endings too... if they're done well, that is. Usually, people get irritated when someone ends on a cliffhanger and doesn't make any attempt to explain themselves, but it really depends on how skilled you are and how much you want to leave to the readers' imagination.

Back