• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think our lives have a purpose?

Khawill

<3
Years
If you do what is your purpose? (This might not easily be answered yes/no)

I don't think it has a purpose, there is no grand reason why we exist. Our lives themselves are worthless on a grand scale, the earth itself is. The "purpose" for our lives is created by ourselves, may it be a person or a goal. People without "purpose" may feel empty, and people who have lost or had their "purpose" taken away are sure to feel dead. But even then that is because it was something close to us and not someone else.

I do believe in fate though, no doubt what you do now or tomorrow can change someone, even a post here can but the question remains- Do you think Life has a purpose?

Flight.

→ Break Away
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
I feel like everyone asks themselves this question at one point or another, and everyone settles for their own explanation somewhere along the line, either with religion or just experience-formed thought.

My conclusion is "the pursuit of happiness". Not in a sense that there is some ultimate grand happiness that we must pursue, but that, every day, we strive for some form of "happy". Those that find themselves in a happy situation do not have any concerns with their livelihood, while those that do not find themselves happy have troubles dealing with their lives. Therefore, in my mind, this scale determines the amount of "purpose" a life has at a certain point, and so, the reason we exist is for happiness.

Ok I wrote this at 2AM so if it doesn't make sense then, yeah you know why xD

Z_Z

Zzz
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2012
No more than an ant or whatever other insignificant creature.

But we are given an amazing, unique opportunity to exist. So squeeze as much living out of it you can. Even if it is all for nothing in the end.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I think the purpose of our lives is to live them.

Thank you.

The biological purpose of all life is to reproduce and hopefully have advantageous offspring. That's how advancements are made and it's how evolution works. But, for humans, that's a pretty shallow and primitive way of looking at it.

I don't think that, aside from the above idea, life has a purpose at all. Having a purpose would imply that there's an ultimate aim or a goal to be reached - but I don't see babies being born with pieces of paper saying "DOCTOR" or "LAWYER" or even "BEGGAR" stuck on their heads. I don't think anyone is born to do anything specifically, although sometimes extremely talented people in a particular area may naturally follow that path. People have free will and life's an ever-changing thing, so I think that people should just go wherever life takes them and wherever they want to go. No real purpose or aim other than living and seeing what happens.

Years
I agree that life doesn't have any innate purpose, but I think that we're at our best as human beings when we do have a purpose to believe in, goals to reach, and a sense of meaning. I find it a little ironic.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
  • Age 26
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Other than surviving and maybe reproducing, I don't think there's any sort of fate or purpose in life that was always there. Personally, I'd say that if there's any purpose in your life then it's what you made it be. Something may seem like you were fated to do it, but that's probably just you doing something you're good at. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Khawill

<3
Years
I actually love all these answers and they are all agreeable. What if our lives didn't have purpose though, and with that question what would separate us from a robot created with an AI? Could we mentally consider it alive (not scientifically) if it has goals?

Also why do we have a reason to live in the first place, why is it that we exist for the sole purpose to live on? These are really hard questions for me using any point of view (be it religious or scientific) and honestly the answers I made for these questions define me, change my view of the world.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Lives having purpose? Ha...ha....ha...ha... when I was younger I thought if you're alive your life has purpose. And now I realized life doesn't have purpose at all. Although everyone is in this world for a reason. However I don't think that lives have purpose anymore.

Hume

la tristesse durera
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 22, 2014
I'm personally more inclined to believe Darwin's theory of evolution. It seems that it's human instinct to survive, and if not through you own life then through producing an offspring. I can't say that this is a satisfying answer however. But while Darwinism isn't as comforting as creationism, I do find it infinitely more plausible.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
If your life doesn't have a purpose, then why are we even born at all?

Because if no-one was born then... people would all die out, I guess. I don't really feel that having a defined purpose is a prerequisite for birth at all... but then, as said earlier, I don't think we have any purpose until much later in life when whatever events have occurred have taken you to it. *shrug*

I'm personally more inclined to believe Darwin's theory of evolution. It seems that it's human instinct to survive, and if not through you own life then through producing an offspring. I can't say that this is a satisfying answer however. But while Darwinism isn't as comforting as creationism, I do find it infinitely more plausible.

Why does whether or not you believe in creationism effect whether you feel like life has a purpose?

Z_Z

Zzz
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2012
If your life doesn't have a purpose, then why are we even born at all?

Do microscopic bacteria have a purpose to be born? They aren't even aware of their own existence.

How are we, as living things who will come and go on this planet any different?

Bear

Fascist baby.
Years
I don't believe our lives have some purpose that is exterior to ourselves; that it's been decided by some other factor. That seems a bit obtuse. It may well be that there is no definable point to us, but I'd like to think it's up to each individual to give their life meaning and point.

Years
Your life has a purpose if you actually live it. I try to live my life to the full and make it purposeful to myself and that is the main thing.​

Khawill

<3
Years
What if everything is here just for us, all the animals, bacteria, and even viruses. What if the world was created for us the sentient beings to thrive, or die out. What if this applied to all planets with sentient, intelligent beings.
I believe in balance of the world though I don't know about some higher power, so what if there is some force (not entity) that drives everything forward just for our own lives.
Or what if every life is specifically for one person and everyone around you are just mindless npcs (including me) created to affect your life in some way?

NcTheory

Slice of Life
Years
The answer to the great question of what our purpose in life is this: Your purpose is what you make it. Naturally speaking the purpose would be to survive and to see that your genetic code is carried on into the future, but considering we're sentient beings that can at least see beyond that level, I'd say that purpose to life is what we make it to be.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
I guess, you decide your purpose. If you want your life to have no purpose, fine. But if you want to have a purpose, it's your choice. There's no set "purpose" for all of us, we all have different ones.

Back