• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#1 - Pixel Art of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Pixel Art of the Week!​
    welcome to paotw
    Every week, Scarf, myself, Ben. and Logiedan will scour the Pixel Art forum for great new pixel art and shortlist five of the newest pieces. Then, we'll post the list and let you vote! If you win, you'll get a shiny new emblem along with the knowledge that your piece won~ :D

previous winners

• nobody
    this week's shortlist
    iaza13349345843600.gif
    the rules

• Don't vote for yourself.
    • A piece of art can only win once, however artists can win numerous times (only receiving one emblem, though).
    • When voting, you MUST include a valid reason why. It would also be appreciated if you included the pixel art in your post.
    • Pixels in the Showcase will also be shortlisted, however simple edits (recolours, fusions, etc.) will not apply.
    • It's a lighthearted competition. It's only for fun. So chill out and have fun~

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I think you should add in dates, make seperate threads and change the abbreviation so it's not the same as Poetry of the Week.
    I recommend PATW - Pixel Art of The Week. The thread looks a little dull so you could add in some more stuff. I don't think it's worth an emblem too, they should just be awarded with the title or atleast winning an emblem for numerous wins. Like when they win 10 weeks, they'll get an emblem.

You should make the title like:
    [PATW] Week 1
    then Week 2
    then Week 3
    and so on. Just a suggestion. ;O

Last edited:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Dunno if I'm supposed to put my opinion here on the thread itself, but I just wanted to point out that this is an awesome idea. Even if no one enters contests, it's obvious people still put out plenty of pixel art here, so taking that fact and turning it into a sort of contest is just plain genius, especially taking into account that, with any luck, it may well affect the overall quality of pixel work here in a positive way. I do agree with Logie there, that the emblem should be awarded only after a certain number of wins. It'd get pretty dull and uncompetitive fast if the emblem was awarded after only one victory, especially since weekly is so frequent.

Years
  • Aquanasprite.png

Aquana.

Reason:
    Since every entry was pokemon sprite related, Aquana had a great palette and a simple pokemon-like design (comparing to the first 3 gens neway, and i'm most partial to them XD)

Dremacy, had a rather unusual design which didn't make it look much like a pokemon, also the way the jaw opens seemed a bit awkward, like it had a rubberband halfway down its snout that prevented it from opening fully

The rock fakemon was great, i loved the idea (except for the hair :P). For me, it was a tough contest between these two, but i chose the other because the other seemed more like a pokemon from the Gen I - III.

The ice tiger was sprited well, however i didn't like the design of the head, it seemed more human-ish than animal-like, it could have done with an extension of the snout, imo.

My fire tiger :), N/A

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2013
    I, too, vote for Cyberglass's Aquana
    Aquanasprite.png

It's got that nice, simple, well shaped feel to it. I also have to say that I am in love with the pallet!

I would probably pick Froslass's Dremacy for second place because it also has a great pose and good detail. I don't think it would make a great pokemon, but this is a pixel art competition, not a fakemon competition. Next, would be Ark's fire tiger. And 4th would be tnguye3's rock fakemon.

Lastly, I don't think I'm allowed to judge my own sprite :)

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    Years
  • Aquanasprite.png
    Cyberglass' Aquana: I see you've used purple for the outlines except for the darker blue colour. Imo it looks good, but something doesn't seem to fit. It's a simple sprite, but there was too much usage of shaded outlines, making the default black lines stand out in a bad way.

picture.php

tnguye3's rock fakemon: I see, a fusion it is. It looks pretty rocky, good job on that one, but it's right arm seems to have a diffrent lighting than the rest of the body.

ice_tiger_pokemon_by_icychill66-d3163i5.png

icychill66's ice tiger: Looiks like the base you've used is growlithe. Growlithe's perfect for making tigers, Theres nothing really wrong with it when it depends on editing the sprite. but the highlight on the head seems a bit too light imo.

firetiger2r.png
    Ark_Silvanos' fire tiger.
    Fire's a pretty hard one to pixel. You did a good job on the fire. The body is pretty much sudewase and there seems to be no shading of the tail on the leg of the fire tiger, while you lighted it's belly because of the fire next to it. Mind that fire always wants to go upwards, not downwards.

Now it's time to decide which one I'm going to choose of these. I choose Cyberglass. The fire tiger is second.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back