• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions on new anti-aliasing solutions

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • They suck, IMO. They exist only because new games are using deferred lighting and can't use MSAA.

If you have a killer card, SSAA is the only way to go IMO.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Note that SSAA is computationally expensive compared to other solutions to provide you superior image quality. And killer cards sure are expensive, power-sucking, and HOT on a laptop.

I don't really think highly of FXAA. Sure, it's fast, but it's at the expense of image detail. I'd rather use MSAA, but I can only use MSAA sparingly on my laptop, because it's not exactly the best thing around. (It's a GeForce GT 630M, which means I usually play at no AA or 2x, if I'm stretching my frame rate. (I try to keep at least medium settings and 30 FPS.))

MSAA is the best possible compromise to me between nothing and SSAA, to be honest. It won't do much to texture edges, though, so I tend to just skip AA of any kind.

Back