• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sound through TV and PC Speakers

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
  • So I recently set my computer up so that I can play videos on my tv from my computer and have my computer still up on the desktop (extended the display). I was wondering how I can make it so that when I play something such as videos the sound only comes through the TV screen (or through the TV and speakers connected to my computer at the same time preferably just through the tv though) and when I play something on the computer screen the sound only comes through the PC speakers.

How can I achieve this?
    Ive connected the TV to the PC with a HDMI cable if that helps.

Years
  • Right-click on your volume icon, and select Playback Devices from the menu that pops up. Make sure the HDMI cable is enabled as a playback device.

Then, and this is probably the inconvenient part, you have to manage the audio output within each program, and not every program gives you an option to select the audio device that you use. In VLC Media Player, it's under the Audio menu, and then you highlight which audio device you want to use under the "Audio Device" submenu. In Windows Media Player, it's under Tools>Options, then click the Devices tab and double-click Speakers from the list, and then select which audio device you want to have it output to in the drop down list that's in the sound playback box in the window that pops up.

Most media playback programs have this option, but just briefly looking around, it looks like that may be a lot harder to find in a web browser.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
    Years
  • machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • You might probly don't have the right HDMI cable.

What I seen is that there are the cable that allow sound input and output and there are those that do not.

Im going to be getting a 1080p flat screen for my laptop in April and also i'm going to get this cable so I can do what you want to do.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-Mount...TF8&colid=3Q2JM1I59F71Z&coliid=I2WYN0J3TVEBWJ

(notice it has sound return)
    AFAIK, all HDMI cables transfer sound, hence why people often prefer them to VGAs and DVIs.

Also, you need to make the TV the default Speaker Device, otherwise sound won't be played from it.

Back