• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Power

Years
  • Nintendo_Power_logo.png

Nintendo Power was a monthly news and strategy magazine initially published in-house by Nintendo of America.

The first issue published was July/August 1988 spotlighting the NES game Super Mario Bros. 2. It was one of the longest-running video game magazines in the United States and Canada, and was Nintendo's official magazine in North America. The final volume, Volume 285, was released on December 11, 2012.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power

What's your opinion about Nintendo Power in general?
    Have you owned any of the Nintendo Power magazines?
    If you did, have you found Nintendo Power helpful?
    How did you feel about the cancellation of Nintendo Power? (if you cared about it in the first place)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Ah yeah I remember perusing through these. I never personally subscribed to Nintendo Power but I did enjoy reading through it. I do get GameInformer on a monthly basis still.

Enjoyed the magazine. It had some good, spot on reviews.

Maybe one or two in my lifetime, but I never subscribed to them.

On occasion, yes. Most of the information I could find online. That's how it is with most magazines and newspaper articles nowadays.

How did you feel about the cancellation of Nintendo Power? (if you cared about it in the first place)
    It really doesn't effect me.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • What's your opinion about Nintendo Power in general?
    I thought they were great. Nice reviews & guides, and I loved the community section where they displayed fan cosplay & other art.

Yes, I have every issue. I had subscribed from 1995 til when they canceled. The older issues were given to me by a family member who collected vintage Nintendo stuff.

In the past, yeah. I think the last game I used one of their guides for was Golden Sun (aka forever ago). I mostly just read the fan mail, news, E3 stuff and community sections.

I was pretty upset about it, actually! I don't remember exactly why they cancelled, though. I was a part of the Nsider forums back in the day, and everyone I still keep contact with were also upset. :P

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Oh god I loved this magazine to death when I was younger, when I heard that it was ceasing with its issue production it felt like losing a longtime friend tbh.

One of the main reasons I even read magazines back then, went to the grocery store with mom and dad back when I was around 12 or so just to see if there was a new issue out already.

Oh yeah I owned my fair share of issues to keep me occupied with the latest Nintendo news for quite some time.

You bet, without it I would have never have discovered certain games for my GC library back then such as Tales Of Symphonia, Pokémon Colosseum, Pikmin 2, and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes to name a few.

Again I felt like my heart broke in 2.

Years
  • What's your opinion about Nintendo Power in general?
    It defined late elementary school for me. More objectively, I think it was a funny and well-written magazine that, unlike the likes of Game Informer, was open about its brand bias.

I was subscribed to it from about September 2005 to August 2007. I tried to get rid of most of them at a garage sale this past summer, but no one took them. (It was probably because I charged 25 cents apiece rather than giving them away for free, which I did because people who take free stuff usually never use it before throwing it out, not because I cared about the money.) Maybe I didn't really want them gone and was just telling myself I needed the space in my room. (To be fair, though, it was getting really bad in there.)

Very much so, for finding out about new games and, on occasion, using their inserts to find the hidden secrets in titles like New Super Mario Bros.

I felt it was very sudden. It was going strong (I assumed so, at least), and then it vanished. I feel more sad in retrospect than I did at the time.

Back