• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Technology - A new dawn for Pokemon?

Years
  • Do you think the 3DS will open new worlds?

Pokemon X and Y is being released on the most advanced handheld console available to the Pokemon games to date. With this, comes the improved hardware on the handheld.

The 3DS has two rather interesting selling points, that the new games could utilize in-game, StreetPass and SpotPass. If you aren't aware of what they are, here are the descriptions:

StreetPass
    "StreetPass is a feature present in every Nintendo 3DS system that allows users to exchange data from games & applications that the two own. It is on regardless of whether the 3DS is in sleep mode or not (though the system itself must be on), and automatically acts when another 3DS user walks within the console's range."

SpotPass
    "With SpotPass, your Nintendo 3DS system can detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain various types of data on the spot. Free software, notifications and 3D content are just some of the things that might surprise you as you discover something new every day!"

There are other technologies available on the 3DS, including Augmented Reality, Miiverse and so on.

With all these different 3rd party applications and technologies, what would you like to see used in the new Pokemon games? What do you expect to see and what would you love to see? Will this help with access to Pokemon events?

Years
  • Well, with the Wii U, they were all about connecting with people and interacting, so having those examples of what you said, would be very cool. Having ways to share your achievements might be a nice idea.

I think the Pokemon games have always been missing that extra interactivity element, that I feel the 3DS could actually solve, but will they program it?.​

NatureKeeper

StreetPass would be so useful should they choose to keep the C-Gear.

For SpotPass, by all means download Mystery Gift cards without needing to go through with that tedious process.

Also, what Soto said. Miiverse integration could be the best thing that happens to Pokemon.

Years
  • It is exciting in which routes they can do down. They could have some form of hunting mini game, where you 'catch' a different number of Pokemon trainers, depending on who you pass with StreetPass or something.​

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
  • I do think Streetpass will give us a feature like the PokeWalker did in HGSS, where you could battle other peoples teams that you street pass with, it really doesn't seem beyond Nintendo considering we can easily get Ghost times in Mario Kart 7 with this feature.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • StreetPass

Just merge if needed.

Many 3DS game utilise the StreetPass feature of the 3DS for additions to gameplay. With X and Y being on 3DS do you think they will also use StreetPass in some way? How would you like to see it used?

Discuss!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    I'm seeing it be used, like the Mii Plaza thing.
    You walk around playing it, and they'll be some area (like a union room) where people will stock up as you meet more people, and you can battle them, but because it's just caused by passing people, the Computer uses an AI level to fight you using the street Passee's Team.
    The more times you meet the same person, the higher the difficulty?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Yep, they'll definitely have StreetPass for sure. Otherwise if they don't, it would kind of ruin the chances of continue playing the game after completing the game.

I think the StreetPass functions that would occur in the game would indeed be about either trading the Pokémon or even getting items that you'd like to give away or something. But for trading Pokémon, the person would have to have a Pokémon giving away as well as the person StreetPassing you.

But it'll be amazing, and it surely would make me coming back for more. xD

Years
  • Streetpass/Spotpass?

Do you think gen VI will integrate Streetpass/Spotpass in any way? I'm thinking of something similar to Kid Icarus Uprising, where instead of a weapon, you can set a Pokemon up for Streetpass and it can transfer to other games. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    They probably will, though I'll be honest I have never actually used spot pass/street pass... like ever.

I'm sure stuff like that is big in Japan, given all the people around and the fact that handhelds are huge there. So i'm sure gen 6 will have a version of it as well.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • It's very likely that they will have both SpotPass and StreetPass for these games, it'll probably give you the option to enable or disable it in settings.

I'm thinking the accessories (the stuff to customize your character if it's implemented) would be transferred through StreetPass.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2013
    I like the idea of street pass or spot pass integration in Pokémon x/y, though I am an area that I can't use either much. I have zero survey completions in my black/white and black2 cartridges.

I would like to see something like the ability "pickup" for street/spot pass. Get a random item each time you pass through a wifi network area once a day. And/or the above idea of picking up player and party info from players in the area.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    3DS Features

Since this is finally a Pokemon game that is intended to use the 3DS' functions...

What do you want to see used with them?

An Idea my friends and bounced around it: Have a Street Pass Trade. You would have a Street Pass Box (STB) you can put 1 random Pokemon in, if you Street Pass with another person who also has a Pokemon in their STB, the games will exchange the two Pokemon.

I have tons of other ideas but I will let you all give your ideas before I but in!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Spotpass Swarms

I just had a thought but I'm not fully sure of what Spotpass is capable of, maybe somebody could clear it up?

Could it be possible for Gamefreak to change swarming pokemon through Spotpass?

I was thinking they could really evolve the swarm mechanic in this way by having the swarm feature as something they can edit at will rather than just static swarms.

What do you think?

(It wouldn't need to just be for swarms though, they could maybe use it to update small parts of the game like when you watch tv channels on a tv there might be channels that change through spotpass)

Last edited:

QuickSilveri

Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I feel like the devs are using the old Pokemon XD Gale title from gamecube (anyone remember this?) as a model for the new X and Y. I just saw some "look-alikes" in the video and the old game. (like the flamethrower move) Has anyone else played this old game? know what im talking about?

Regards, Chris

Back