• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kreechers

Years
  • This is an idea I've been working on for just under a month at this point. It's similar to Pokémon, but subtly different. There is a wealth of information on ideas about mechanics I have had in the document at the end of this post. A couple of the more key sections are transcluded below:

Concept said:
    The idea is to have a monster battling game, similar to Pokemon, and aimed at a similar target market, although with a leaning towards older players between 15 and 25. It would be a mass-marketed game available on the Android platform (and, in theory, at a later date, for iOS) for smartphones, and players would be free to play early demos and the initial part of the game, but new areas and challenges would be paid-for. This is a fairly common model, I believe.

I should explain that battling is not the focus of Kreechers. Pokémon games have always tried to introduce "battle alternatives" like Contests, the Pokéthon and a few others, but you still have to continually battle to complete the game. This is something that I want to avoid, and I would like to treat it more like an adventure RPG. The player can complete quests and challenges in a variety of different guises, but there will still be an overarching plotline. In an ideal world, we'd be able to write one where you can complete the important parts in only one "job" to unlock the final bit of the plot, but that will need some work.

Kreechers said:
    Kreechers are small generic-looking animals when young, and gradually grow bigger and stronger as you play. There is no "evolution" - for one, this is far too close to Nintendo's model to be safe, and this is meant to be quasi-realistic, so strange morphs into new creatures are to be avoided in principle. Equally, having inanimate objects, like, say, electrical objects, clouds of gas and plants are out, although I think that perhaps in a particularly odd biome, such as at a nuclear reactor, we can fudge something to get a bit more variety.

This brings me to the question of what Kreechers actually are. Pokémon are said to be descended from Mew, but that doesn’t really explain what Mew is (Pokémon are Mew and Mew is a Pokémon) or what Pokémon are, other than strange pseudo-magical animals. I suggest that Kreechers should be more normal. Perhaps like John Wyndham's triffids, or the ninja turtles, they came as a result of nuclear experimentation in the 50s, altering their DNA and making them more adaptable to their surroundings than normal animals. This gave them an immediate advantage over other wildlife, and they soon spread across the world.

As I mentioned, more information is available here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LoMSDggSFwjXJzAAmKmMeNJPml3mFfAaA6XVbFCa6VI/edit

I am just wondering if anyone has any comments or feedback on these ideas, specifically whether the game idea sounds like something you would like to play, and if there were any parts of the game that sound unfun, or that don't make sense.

If you can't quite stomach reading the whole document, I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the sections you've looked at. :3

Also, if anyone would like to contribute with ideas, suggestions, or with something more tangible, please do get in touch.

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
    Years
  • Ah, I'm glad to see you finally put a thread up for this! :) I still love love love this idea, I'd love to see progress as it comes, you have a great idea brewing here! :D Good luck! :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Yay, the thread is here!

I sent you a doco over Skype with some new ideas I had, I'll try to get them posted here.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
    Years
  • This sounds like a good idea. It's not often that the users of PC find a game idea un-Pokémon-related.

Do you need help with anything?

Back