• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How'd they do that...?

Years
  • I'm sure that we've all come to notice how certain Pokemon can learn attacks that seem to make no sense. A Wooper having Ice Punch, a Doduo knowing Fly, or even a Primeape learning Iron Tail doesn't seem to fit them, but they can still use it. So how exactly do they use these moves?

Another interesting case is Smeargle, Mew, and Pokemon that know Metronome. Mew can learn every single TM/HM, Pokemon with Metronome have access to 98% of the known attacks through the move, and via Sketch, Smeargle can use every single move other than Chatter.

So now that they know them, how exactly do you think Pokemon can use moves that shouldn't be anatomically possible? Do they have hidden limbs that we don't know about? Do they channel their inner Psychic type to use the move? I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks happens in one of these situations.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm going to fall back on my theory about Aura/unifying force that powers all pokémon and their attacks. If they learn a move that doesn't really seem possible, then they can probably use Aura to summon the necessary energies and maybe even ghost limbs to perform them.

Take Lucario as an example. In the anime, it used Bone Club or some other kind of move where a bone was necessary, don't remember the exact move. It seems like only Cubone, Marowak and maybe Farfetch'd and Conkeldurr could use that. But Lucario materalized a bone from Aura and used that to fight.

So if a Primeape would use Iron Tail, maybe a tail materializes from Aura (just assuming it's Aura that powers them all here, but could be some other kind of life force as well) and makes the attack as if Primeape had a tail.

Of course, in this exact example with Primeape, I actually do think it could have a tail hidden in that fur ^^ Very small, but still.

This would also explain how Smeargle works. As for Mew, it's assumed that it can learn all the attacks since it is the ancestor of all pokémon races. But physically... I'm not sure how.

It would be fun to hear theories that don't build on Aura or energy forces though!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm going to fall back on my theory about Aura/unifying force that powers all pokémon and their attacks. If they learn a move that doesn't really seem possible, then they can probably use Aura to summon the necessary energies and maybe even ghost limbs to perform them.

Take Lucario as an example. In the anime, it used Bone Club or some other kind of move where a bone was necessary, don't remember the exact move. It seems like only Cubone, Marowak and maybe Farfetch'd and Conkeldurr could use that. But Lucario materalized a bone from Aura and used that to fight.

So if a Primeape would use Iron Tail, maybe a tail materializes from Aura (just assuming it's Aura that powers them all here, but could be some other kind of life force as well) and makes the attack as if Primeape had a tail.

Of course, in this exact example with Primeape, I actually do think it could have a tail hidden in that fur ^^ Very small, but still.

This would also explain how Smeargle works. As for Mew, it's assumed that it can learn all the attacks since it is the ancestor of all pokémon races. But physically... I'm not sure how.

It would be fun to hear theories that don't build on Aura or energy forces though!
    Lucario learns Bone Rush.

Anyway, Gastly is able to use the elemental punches, despite not having hands, though it can create hands from its gas in the anime.

Shroomish and Togekiss are also able to use Focus Punch even though they don't have hands, either. Since Togekiss evolves from a Pokémon with arms (Togetic), it probably uses its wings when it uses the move.

Years
  • Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers said:
    I'm going to fall back on my theory about Aura/unifying force that powers all pokémon and their attacks. If they learn a move that doesn't really seem possible, then they can probably use Aura to summon the necessary energies and maybe even ghost limbs to perform them.
    I guess this seems to make the most sense, since Pokemon are already pretty amazing creatures, so it wouldn't surprise me if they can materialize some sort of physical attack out of an aura (for comic book fans, this can be compared to what the Green Lantern can do).

Something like a Doduo (or any of the tiny winged Pokemon) learning Fly does seem a little odd, though. But, I guess the laws of physics in the Pokemon world are much different from those here, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised this happens at all.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    About Doduo/Dodrio and FLY, it's probably because originally they planned to make the Flying type called Bird type. And FLY was a move that all Flying types should know. So Gamefreak were just lazy and didn't change that little Doduoflyingthing when they changed Bird type to Flying type. Perhaps!

Has a Doduo/Dodrio tried to use FLY in the anime or manga? :p Because that would disprove this, I guess.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • Something like a Doduo (or any of the tiny winged Pokemon) learning Fly does seem a little odd, though. But, I guess the laws of physics in the Pokemon world are much different from those here, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised this happens at all.

I don't know why, but I always envision Doduo flapping both it's heads to fly - it is silly, but it's the only excuse I have :P

In terms of Pokemon like Wooper and Ice Punch, I feel like Pokemon are able to use other appendages, we'll say, like tails and whatnot, for their techniques.

Let's look at it this way - Say a Primeape uses Iron Tail. if he can manifest an iron tail of some kind of manipulation of energy then why can't he use tail whip, aqua tail, etc? I do like the "aura" idea - it does seem to be the most plausible, but at the same time, there's still a few things that just will never add up, such is the nature of Pokemon..... {XD}

EDIT: Found a link that is Doduo flying HERE (don't worry - it's just Youtube :) )

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I don't get how Torchic can learn Mega Punch...I've always though it was its feet, since it could've been training for evolving into Combusken, maybe.

tnfsf11

I don't know why, but I always envision Doduo flapping both it's heads to fly - it is silly, but it's the only excuse I have
    12.%20tongue.gif
    A flying Doduo you say?
    Spoiler:

Also how does Zubat learn Mean Look? He doesn't have eyes!
    I wonder how Doduo's flying animation will be in Pokemon X & Y...... Or maybe they'll just make him non-Flying & Fairy instead :P

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • A flying Doduo you say?
    Spoiler:

Best. Comic. EVER!!!!!!! I love it!!!! {XD}
    Also how does Zubat learn Mean Look? He doesn't have eyes!
    I wonder how Doduo's flying animation will be in Pokemon X & Y...... Or maybe they'll just make him non-Flying & Fairy instead :P

Well You don't need eyes to look mean :P
    Good point about his X and Y flying animation ... *deep in thought* ....... I have a feeling GF will cop out and do something half-assed for the Fly and Surf animations though :/

tnfsf11

I just hope they don't make something like the generic sprites used since forever >:(
    I really wish though that they make accurate animations for moves like Lick, Pound, Mean Look, Horn Attack...etc so that Pokemon actually look like they're battling...

Back