• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon (Yellow) Team Guidance

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2013
    Hi guys,

I recently found my Gameboy Colour and a bunch of original Pokemon games stashed in the loft. Instead of throwing them I began playing on it instead. Brought back some memories of my childhood. Having a great deal of fun surprisingly lol. This is on Pokemon Yellow. I had only ever played or watched some of Generation 1 and Generation 2. In my original playthroughs from what I can remember I used to use the likes of Pidgeot etc just for convenience with the fly option. Since reloading it I have Pokemon like Jigglypuff Flash, Oddish cut, Pidgeotto fly and they are all stored in the PC for when I need them.

Anyway, I have a team here, currently in Lavender Town (just completed the Pokemon Tower and caught Snorlax) on my playthrough. 4 badges to date and I was wondering what Pokemon I should really be using at this point? I have not used any TM's as I had honestly forgot what most of them did, they are either stored in the PC or have been tossed. So none of my Pokemon have been taught any TM's thus far. The HM's have been used on Pokemon that I will never use in battles, just a bit rubbish having to go back and forth everytime I require them.

This is my current squad.

Pikachu Level 33
    Hypno Level 33
    Charmeleon Level 33
    Kadabra Level 33
    Snorlax Level 30
    Wartortle Level 29

I do have Butterfree Level 29, Magikarp Level 16 and many more stored in the PC. Just not had any use for them.

As I can't seem to remember that much about the games in regard to TM's I have no clue whether my current team even have the right moves. Anyhow, what sort of Pokemon should I have been using at this point? Or what Pokemon should I catch or even use at the stage I'm at?

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
    Years
  • Well, you're actually doing fine!

Badge nr 5: poison.
    There's never a good solution to this gym. It has always troubled me but with that team you can make it (hint: charmeleon will help you here since he uses 2 or 3 bug types.) Ps: hypno and kadabra can finish this fairly easy.

Badge 6: Psychic.
    Wartortle learns bite in the yellow moveset (I thought) and if that doesnt help, well, snorlax can always bodyslam his way through ;)

Badge 7: fire.
    Wartortle. All i have to say.

Badge 8: ground.
    Wartortle again.

So see? Your team actually does great for this storyline!

Back