• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Save Type

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2006
    I'm running the Linux SDL version of VBA and I have a save file on Pokemon Emerald that comes up with the "corrupted save file" error when I start the game. I read in the FAQ that this means I'm screwed and have to start over. I was just wondering if there is ANY way to change the save file type, or is it completely hopeless? I understand that this is a hacking community and that this is the kind of stuff hackers do(figuring stuff like this out).

It just seems to me that there has to be some way to change the save file type. If its hopeless just let me know. Sorry to bug you guys about this, seeing as though it says im screwed in the FAQ. Just though I'd ask in case anyone has made progress in this area since it was written.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • There is no way to restore your save file, as it has been "deleted" at the time the game restarted with the wrong save type.
    The only chance to save (some) of your progress, is if you have saved your game with VBA's savestate function.
    Once you set the save type correctly, you can load one of your savestates, and save the game again using the game-internal save function.
    That way, you can continue your game from the point of the savestave.
    Else, there is no chance of recovering it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2006
    Can Do that now? or would I have had to use that before I saved with the emulator.

The rom didnt have a save file when i got it, I started the game on the emulator. If that changes anything.

Thanks!

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
  • If you read my above post carefully, you would have understood.

If you have a VBA savestate, then you can load it after you set the correct save type. (Restart the emulator after you set it.)
    Then load your ROM and your savestate from the File menu.
    Now you can continue play the game like normal, as you will be playing from the time the savestate was made.
    And with the save type fixed, the Elite 4 glitch won't occur anymore, which allows you to play futher.

If you do not have a VBA savestate for the game, then you will have to start over again, as, in any case, your old savegame is not able to be used anymore.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2006
    Ok, I think I get it now. Also, Is Pokemon FireRed Flash 128k save type? because I seem to get the error about the 1m sub-circuit board even with it set to 128k.
    And thank you very much for your help.

Back