• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: "Auto-Save" feature for Quick Replies

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Don't know if this has been mentioned before or is actually there and I don't know about it, but Quick Replies can get use of an Auto-Save. The thing is, if I'm typing fast (and that's the reason I'm using QRs in the first place) there's a good chance I may go to the old page accidentally by hitting backspace too much (it happens quite frequently yeah, when I click something outside the QR box and hit backspace thinking I'm still typing) and when I come back, the text I typed in the Quick Reply text editor is gone. This can be really frustrating as I have to type the stuff up again, and often this is pretty damn discouraging. I've written long replies (that were originally meant to be small and quick, don't get me wrong) and diminished all my "writework" with a single mis-backspace. So is there some way to save the text, some cookie, some stored member data, something?

Also, when I'm about to post something, my session suddenly expires and PC says I have to log in again (I don't store cookies because shared computer) and once again the work behind the scenes is gone.

yep I'm totally wanting features from Serebii Forums, asking features available in other forums ftw

Don't get me wrong, it's just that sometimes when I'm in a hurry/feel like doing a posting blitz I hate clicking the reply button, waiting for the separate page to load and then replying using that, it's too "slow", especially in DCC. I just think the QR should be a bit more promoted.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Don't know if this has been mentioned before or is actually there and I don't know about it, but Quick Replies can get use of an Auto-Save. The thing is, if I'm typing fast (and that's the reason I'm using QRs in the first place) there's a good chance I may go to the old page accidentally by hitting backspace too much (it happens quite frequently yeah, when I click something outside the QR box and hit backspace thinking I'm still typing) and when I come back, the text I typed in the Quick Reply text editor is gone. This can be really frustrating as I have to type the stuff up again, and often this is pretty damn discouraging. I've written long replies (that were originally meant to be small and quick, don't get me wrong) and diminished all my "writework" with a single mis-backspace. So is there some way to save the text, some cookie, some stored member data, something?

Also, when I'm about to post something, my session suddenly expires and PC says I have to log in again (I don't store cookies because shared computer) and once again the work behind the scenes is gone.

yep I'm totally wanting features from Serebii Forums, asking features available in other forums ftw

Don't get me wrong, it's just that sometimes when I'm in a hurry/feel like doing a posting blitz I hate clicking the reply button, waiting for the separate page to load and then replying using that, it's too "slow", especially in DCC. I just think the QR should be a bit more promoted.

I think someone suggested a feature in this thread that's similar to the one you're talking about. I totally get where you're coming from, though, as the "backspace = LOLbackbutton" thing has happened to me a lot on many occasions in the past (especially when I'm using Mac computers, for some reason >:(), frustrating and irritating me to no end. Many of my Quick Replies also happen to turn into full-fledged lengthy posts, as well...

If you're able to install programs/add-ons on your computer, the Internet browser add-on Lazarus (available for Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, at least; details in the aforementioned/linked-to thread) works wonders for saving your work that's been typed within data entry boxes (such as PokeCommunity's Quick Reply editor), and its benefits extend beyond the domain of PokeCommunity itself, as said add-on is usable on other websites as well. Consequently, the add-on technically removes the need for PokeCommunity to utilize an "auto-save" feature of its own, thus alleviating server strain IIRC.

As for shared/public computers (i.e., computers in which Lazarus cannot be readily installed), an "Auto-Save"-on-PokeCommunity feature would be nice for Quick Replies and such, but I'm not sure whether other members would think such a feature would be worth implementing on the server.. :/

I thought you had to accept/use website cookies to login and post on PokeCommunity...? ~_~

Last edited:

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I don't know if you realise it, but both Serebii.net and PokeCommunity run on vBulletin.
Both have the Auto-Save feature.
Don't ask me why it doesn't work here, I never managed a vBulletin-based Forum.

Years
I don't know if you realise it, but both Serebii.net and PokeCommunity run on vBulletin.
Both have the Auto-Save feature.
Don't ask me why it doesn't work here, I never managed a vBulletin-based Forum.

It doesn't work here because we don't actually have that feature. Serebii has the feature because they are using vB 4, while we are using vB 3.7.

MKGirlism

Years
I guess that explains then.
But why aren't you guys Upgrading?
All I can think of, are either the Plugins support, or Theme support.

MKGirlism

Years
So I suggest Audy is the grand leader here?
But honestly, I understood Twilight Sky better than Hiroshi Sotomura.
Nothing against you, but Twilight Sky was more 'to the point', while I read your Post as "something new might come, but it might not come too".

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
So I suggest Audy is the grand leader here?
But honestly, I understood Twilight Sky better than Hiroshi Sotomura.
Nothing against you, but Twilight Sky was more 'to the point', while I read your Post as "something new might come, but it might not come too".
That's how admins work... :D Or just Hiroshi...? xD

@Audy: Wow o.O That's some grand update you're planning o.O

@Hoenn: Is it possible to use Chrome on your shared PC? I also experience this backspace phenomenon but Chrome can (not always, though) remember the written text if you return to the page.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Anyway, post drafts are planned, which will include auto-saving the draft when you're typing longer posts. It'll also let you save the post to make it later, or save post "templates" as a permanent draft in your folder.

Same with sigs, you'll be able to save multiple signatures and go back and forth, which is another feature people ask for all of the time.

There's a lot planned. :D

I see. Thanks for letting us know. I'm sure PC 2.0 will be more than worth the wait.

it seems that the only way to know what features you've planned for 2.0 is by asking for random features and hoping Audy comes and says yes that's planned

@Hoenn: Is it possible to use Chrome on your shared PC? I also experience this backspace phenomenon but Chrome can (not always, though) remember the written text if you return to the page.

I'm quite sure I'm using the latest version of Chrome as it complies with all the latest web features and CSS.

Back