• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Those pesky, generic Pokemon

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • You know the ones I'm talking about! Those little ones at the beginning of the game, which are quite a nuisance later on, since they give poor experience when you need it the most. Every region have them, the Pokemon where one makes a fine HM slave and then other makes a decent comrade early in the game. From the Pidgey and Rattata of Kanto and Johto, to the Patrat and Lillipup of Unova. They've all got them, and you must either love or hate them.

Love them or hate them?

Favourite out of these pesky Pokemon?

Do you ever use them, for any reason?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • Love them or hate them?
    I love Pidgey and evos, Sentret and Furret, Linoone and Pidove. I mostly disdain the rest for being annoying and generic.
    It would have to be either Pidgey or Furret. Furret is just pure awesomeness and Pidgey's eyes were just adorable in its Pokemon Red and Blue sprite.
    I do tend to use the beginning birds as they tend to grow up to be quite strong. Especially Staraptor who can dominate with Brave Bird and Close Combat.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I love the Pidgey, Taillow and Starly families, because they are beautiful and strong. Pidove is surprisingly weak, I won't make the mistake of using an Unfezant again.

I love Rattata for nostalgia reasons, Sentret also. But I'd never use either of them. Zigzagoon and Poochyena I also like but would never use.

Patrat bugs the hell out of me, but Lillipup I've heard can become quite the powerhouse, so I intend to use him later on.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I hate Rattata and Bidoof. The others, I don't mind, though I don't really "love" any of them.
    Pidgey and its evos.
    Usually just Pidgey and its evos (see above). Pidgeot was my Flyer in Soul Silver.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    I like Starly, Lilipup, Pidgey, Bidoof, and Pidove. The rest suck.
    Favorite out of these pesky Pokemon?
    Starly. Never before was a starling so badass.
    Did you ever use them, for any reason?
    I've used Staraptor and Pidgeot as a fighter and as a flyer.
    I've used Stoutland as a fighter.
    I once used Raticate and Bibarel as fighters.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I love the Pidgeys & Rattata's that always jump out at you

Pidgey <3

I sometimes use Pidgey for Fly, or use one in my actual team who later evolves to Pidgeot :)

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
    Hate most of them. Mainly the rodents... Zigzagoon was cool though, but Linoone was not.

Pidgey, Pidove, Starly (so, the birds)

Yes. The birds make good fly slaves. And good battlers.
    The rodents, nah. May use Watchog for mean look though...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Why would I hate them? That'd be mean. They never did anything wrong. :< But Bidoof and Starly are the most annoying.

FURRET FURRET FURRET FURRET FURRET IDC IF IT'S THE EVOLVED FORM OF ONE FURRRRRRRRRET!!! n_______n

I has Furret. :o I also use the Lillipup line, I've used Noctowl, I've used Pidgeot, Staraptor, etc. I usually use them because I like the design or something. I believe that you can make any Pokemon a good battler in-game. :)

Nilz

renegade of funk.
    Years
  • My love or hate for them really depends of the pokemon. I've always been a fan of zigzagoon just because of its appearance and personality while the more recent generic pokes like patrat don't get much love. My favorite early pokes are probably zigzagoon, tailow and evos, and pidgey and evos. The early normal/flying birds are always a relaible option to train in the game.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Oh, god I can't stand them. Rattata, Zigzagoon, Patrat, even the Bug Pokemon like Caterpie and Weedle: if they were wiped off the face of the Pokemon earth, I for one wouldn't bat an eyelid.

I suppose, for nostalgic reasons, Pidgey and its evolutions are the most tolerable: at least they can Fly, as opposed to the Rattatas of the world. Hoothoot also.

Before I knew better, I probably used a Pidgey and kept it towards the end. But, this definitely was before I knew better!

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I don't mind them really. Except Bidoof and Patrat. Never Bidoof or Patrat. Ever.

Years

As much as I hate (most of) their designs, they're classics and we all need a Pokemon to attack with the "regional derp" joke. I can't imagine Pokemon without a rat, a bird and a bug, distributed to the early-game areas of each region.

It would have to be Starly. It's p cute, and it evolves into the majestic Staraptor, which can use Close Combat, for crying out loud.

Doing lots of Nuzlockes, I believe I've used a fair amount of these derps. I can recall using Pidgey, Rattata, Weedle, Sentret, Hoothoot, Spinarak, Zigzagoon, Bidoof (as an HM slave) Starly, Pidove, Patrat and Sewaddle, if it were to count.

Last edited:
    Years
    Don't care at all.

I don't really like any of them too much. I like Sentret and Starly.

HM slaves, sometimes I take a Sentret and put it on my team.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years

Depends which ones we're talking about. The Heonn ones were perfect (I love them!), the Kanto ones made me puke (except for the Caterpie line and Kakuna and Beedril--they were all nice, except Weedle), the Jhotos were also nice but lacked creativity, the Sinnoh birds were HORRIBLE (Bidoof is underrated), and the Unova gang was respectable.

WURMPLE...TAILLOW...ZIGZAGOON...THE CALL OF HEONN...AND THE UNOVA BUGS!!!

Outside of Heonn, Jhoto and Unova...NEVER.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Oh, god I can't stand them. Rattata, Zigzagoon, Patrat, even the Bug Pokemon like Caterpie and Weedle: if they were wiped off the face of the Pokemon earth, I for one wouldn't bat an eyelid.

If you EVER say anything bad about my Caterpie or Weedle again, I will end you. END YOU.

(Disclaimer: I am joking)

The_Noob

Banned
    Years
  • ZOMG I LOVE QUESTIONAIRES!!!

Love them or hate them?

Most of the flying-type annoyers (ie; Pidgey, Starly (Staraptor destroys like nothing else), Tailow) become Pokebros unless a replacement is better (ie; Skarmory in RSE is the best choice for a flying-type on your team, should you have the patience to find him; Archeops is my main man in B&W, since my neighbor claimed rights for using Braviary in our weekly link battles). The normal-type annoyers (ie; Zigzagoon (his name sounds like something a Jamaican would spout off whilist high as ****), Rattata (TOP PERCENTAGE MOTHER****ERS), Sentret (the one whose evo was ripped off by Linoone), and Patrat) become HM Slaves, except for Sentret, who never shows up for me during the beginning of the game in my copies of Silver or SoulSilver.

Do you ever use them?

Already stated above, but, on a sidenote, Beautifly or Dustox is always a team member in Emerald, but is usually dropped (with a heavy heart) after beating Flannery; and Beedrill is always a good addition to my team in Silver or SoulSilver, should I have a Cyndaquil who needs a team member as badass as him to back him up.

For a reason?

I think I already stated that.

This was a nice questionaire! Thanks for throwing it out there!

Noob out.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Love them or hate them?: I'm not very fond of them, but I use them until I get the Pokemon I want later on in the story.

Favourite out of these pesky Pokemon?:
    Starly and Lillipup

Do you ever use them, for any reason?:
    See above answer. I also use Starly for Staraptor's ability to learn Close Combat and as my flier.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Uggggghh. On some games I use one. Such as my pidove or starly.other than catching that first one, they are incredibly annoying. Such as when you want to get through somewhere quick or get good training.

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011

Love them or hate them?
    i like sentret, bidoof, patrat, zigzagoon and starly. ratatta, tailow, and pidove piss me off

sentret, starly, zigzagoon, lilipup, and patrat

use them sometimes, but they don't last

Back