• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Gotta catch 'em all?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    So as you know, the Unova dex has extended to more than just Unova Pokemon.

What I'm wondering is with the extended dex, do you intend to catch all in the regional dex, or maybe to keep true to the games beforehand - only the Unova Pokemon? Or do you think that there's just too many Pokemon in the regional dex to bother "catching 'em all"? Share your intentions!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I'm going to try and fill up the regional dex as best as I can. To be honest it could get pretty easy if you obtain the few Pokémon that appear every route, since there are only so many in each. Definitely not even considering capturing only Unova Pokémon, that would suck. If these sequels didn't include previous gen Pokémon I would get tired of seeing just the 5th generation Pokés.

There is a lot of Pokémon but, who knows maybe I can get far with this. /motivated

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I'm going to catch every Pokémon that I see that I don't have. I'll probably play it so excessively that I'll finish the National Dex in two weeks like I did with B/W. It would be foolish to only catch Unova Pokémon.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I'll try and catch all the Pokemon in the regional dex as I go along, Unova-native or not. Sure, it might slow the pace I get through the game down to a crawl, especially with the new additions, but it's something I've never successfully done before, so why not.

CyanFlame

Gotta get the sauce
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2012
    It's easy to fill it up if you use a previous game (PokeTransfer) so hopefully they will keep that feature.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Hahahahahahaha, no. I've never tried to complete any of the PokeDexes I've been 'given' over the years, and I have no intention of starting now. Catching piddly Patrats and other such stuff only to box has never really interested me.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Heck naw. As much as I love most of the Unova Pokemon, I have no intention of giving myself such an annoying task as that. I'll catch the Pokemon I like, but I never had the attention span long enough to do such a thing as fill the entire Pokedex.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Don't know yet. My policy is to catch every Pokemon in-game that I don't outright hate in the course of my travels (and there's at least one announced non-Unovan Pokemon "family" that falls into my "hate" category), but as far as evolving/breeding Pokemon and going back to catch the ones I do hate, that's going to be another matter entirely. That, and the fact that transferring Pokemon is only one-way, since I'm not too keen on transferring Pokemon over from Platinum (the last game where I DO have a full Pokedex and I'd like to keep my critters in that game), and it's doubtful I'll even go for legendary/event Pokemon not in the game itself.

tl;dr, my odds of completing the Pokedex in B2/W2 are rather slim.

Years
  • I think there is just too many Pokémon, but I want to try and complete my Pokedex this time, because I've never done it. xD But I'll probably end up catching my favourites..

Years
  • /Sigh.
    I knew this would bite me in the behind. I always said I would catch every Pokemon that was legit possible to catch. I did it in all the previous games and seems I will be doing it again!​

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
    Years
  • I always catch every new Pokémon I see out of habit, it's what I've done since I was little. I just like the satisfying feeling of having obtained so many different pokes. Why would you only catch the Unova-native Pokémon? o: That seems like a waste with all of the returning pokes in BW2. :(

Years
  • In my first playthrough of White, I caught every Pokemon I saw, just because I wanted to make sure I at least SAW everything. Seeing as there were so many new Pokemon introduced and that there were no older Pokemon to catch pre-League, I made a good attempt to catch all the Unova Pokemon.

In White 2, I have already resigned to using several pre-gen V Pokemon, so not a chance am I only going to catch Unova Pokemon, hahaha. I hadn't really thought about it but I might try to catch all the Pokemon in the regional Pokedex, anyway. If anything that'll only benefit me by the time I finish the game, so yeah, I'll give it a go.

Cid

Years
  • I haven't really thought of catching 'em all and completing the Pokédex for any game I've played in this series. It's funny I only realize it now. But yeah, I've always thought of my caught Pokémon more as a small party of ragtag awesomeness that come out in the wild areas, which is why I only catch Pokémon when they would really be able to put significance in their own presence. Or when they look really nice, which is where the legendaries I catch fall under. Yep.

And since the addition of previous generation Pokémon acts as one of the biggest points that make me want to play these upcoming games, I will catch both older ones and Unova ones.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Im going to try to complete the whole Pokedex, just because I want to and Id like to do that once before they add 100 more Pokemon for Gen 6.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
    Years
  • I like to "clear" all routes and get everything I can, but I'm not a fan of filling the National or regional dex. If they fill on their own, that's ok, if they don't fine too.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Nah. There were times when I tried to capture every Pokémon I saw in attempt to catch them all, but I never succeeded in doing so. Now, with B2/W2 having extended its Regional PokéDex to over 300, I just can't be bothered; let alone with the other 300+ Pokémon there is to collect outside of Regional Dex.

There are just too many different Pokémon species available today where catching them all seems far and wide compared to when it was just a mere 151. Nope, this time around I'll do like every other game and capture the Pokémon I like and want to train. Seeing as these sequels will include a large number of the older Pokémon, I look forward to having my team be a bit of a mix between the generations.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    Speaking of this, I want a feature that lets you transfer Pokedex data, so you don't have to catch em all...again...

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • Well in B/W I tried to catch as many pokemon as I could and transfer the rest of mine, but It's not my first priority to do. I got pretty close though in Black, and it's something I don't think about while playing just let it happen.

Back