• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for Old Concept Art

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
    Sup fellas?

I recently came across this awesome R/B/Y Champion Remix by PokeRemixStudio, but something caught my attention more than the mix itself. That artwork!

I looked everywhere for it, but can't for the life of me find it. I once got a picture of just Pikachu from that picture on Bulbapedia a few weeks ago, and I was even looking for the full picture then! I know I could rip it from the YouTube video, but the quality's pretty bad and it'd have those stupid black bars on the side. So could anybody just direct me to the image itself? Thanks!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    That image looks fanmade to me...despite the coloring style, the linework isn't consistent with Sugimori's style. This is most obvious by looking at the face and wings of Charizard. If you look closely underneath Charizard's tail, you can see a dated watermark of some sort. If you can make out the artist, maybe you can find his site and take it from there. ^_^;

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
    That image looks fanmade to me...despite the coloring style, the linework isn't consistent with Sugimori's style. This is most obvious by looking at the face and wings of Charizard. If you look closely underneath Charizard's tail, you can see a dated watermark of some sort. If you can make out the artist, maybe you can find his site and take it from there. ^_^;
    I probably would've thought of that possibility, too, but the picture of Pikachu taken directly from that full pic I found on Bulbapedia was in the official old Pokémon concept art section. No way they'd put fanart in there.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    Maybe the person who made the pic was trying to make it look like the official artwork's style, if it was fan made at all. So, they would have made the pikachu look the same as the official one in the picture.

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
    Maybe the person who made the pic was trying to make it look like the official artwork's style, if it was fan made at all. So, they would have made the pikachu look the same as the official one in the picture.
    Here is the picture from Bulbapedia, deemed "early artwork of Pikachu:"

It's quite obviously from the same picture. I think it's just one of the oldest drawings, which is why it differs from all the final products we're familiar with.

Not sure where to look, i just look at Google Images.
    That's what I did all night. :(

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    I have also been looking for old concept art from r/b/y

xXI JOE IXx

'Tis a great remix, so is the artwork. I'm not sure where to find it, try asking on Yahoo answers, I always get help there ^_^

EDIT: That artwork must be real, since the classic Pikachu is there

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Here is the image:

Also this is the original Pikachu artwork by ken Sugimori:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    ^hey, that is Ken Sugimori's name below Charizard's tail. XD

I guess I was wrong about it being fan-made. :P

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    That is a really old picture. You're probably not going to get any older then that without the picture being badly captured.
    There are plenty of other pictures not as old as that but are still very good:

That's anime artwork which isn't done by Sugimori.

Last edited:
    Years

I found this somewhere, I dunno if it's real, but if it is, I really like it.
    Any more very early game concept art like this?

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
    D'oh! It never told me there were new posts for some reason, so I hadn't been checking this topic!

Well, looks like that pic's broken now, but I got it thanks to xXI JOE IXx. Thank you PLC for posting it!

And skeddles, that is interesting... I'm sure it's real, too. Looks like battles were originally intended to be side-by-side? Glad they changed it, that looks way too boring and generic.

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
    Yeah, that's where the picture I posted of the Pikachu cropped out came from.

Although that one's quality seems to be a lot better than the full-size one posted here. It looks darker, bolder, and not blurry. Anybody happen to have a full-size pic of that?

Back