Thread: [Developing] Pokémon: Homeward Bound™
View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty524 View Post
This project seems okay. Do you plan on having the story centered around this single character? Is the main character also going to be talking/giving input, or is that completely controlled by the player as with the mainstream games? The reason I'm asking is because it kind of looks like that is the direction you are heading towards based on the fact that you revealed the character's personality.
Some conversations depend on you giving answers etc., but she is going to be fully controlled by you, there are several ways a conversation will or can, go, the story always changes depending on the route you take, believe me, this has took ALOT of testing, but is all working fine... In saying this, that is the character as a whole, each player gives the character a whole new BIO, you play how you want to play, and you will never play the same as any other person, thus, a new personality, i've created her as an impression of myself, well, a younger version haha, so other than age, her personality is of myself IF i were a Pokémon character.

Quote:
You also have some nice screens, though the pixellated facesets of the human characters looks a bit jarring when paired with the clean facesets of the pokemon.
I know exactly what you mean, but until i can find a nice person to help create, me some good looking face sets, i guess i will have to stick with these for the moment, sorry... making the game and spriting is all a big time clash, while making to maps etc. spriting gets pushed to the bottom of the list, it's a nice big long line of rotating what i do.

Quote:
Also, I have questions about your features. Sorry if I come off as a whiner:

... Why do you hate this!? The exp bar, since it's introduction in Gen 2, has always been helpful for keeping in track of the progress you are making in training your pokemon. It was much better than constantly going to the status screen at every end of battle and checking how much exp the pokemon has. Removing this would create too much of a guessing game as to what pokemon I should grind against and how many, in my opinion. You should also keep in mind that almost every RPG, not just pokemon, also have visible exp requirements.
Well, in my game, you don't need to just battle to become stronger, Pokémon can "Train" to become stronger, Leveling up in theory is to gain new moves and an extra bit of stat boost, it's almost irrelevant otherwise, which is why i have removed it off the battle screen... Saying this, i have a new system that you can give a Pokémon new moves without the requirement of leveling up, so what's the use of EXP Bars, when i have all this?

Quote:
I guess this is good for making the game a little harder. Do you have a plan for balancing it out, though?
This is what making friends and foes will help, there are little jobs to do, which you can earn money as what other games have done, but, its realism i guess...

Quote:
Technically speaking, the whole concept behind who can learn TMs/HMs is based on the Pokemon's "natural" abilities to begin with. Of course a bird can fly into the air, but it doesn't have powerful enough claws to cut, which is why you can't teach a Pidgey the Cut HM. If you are planning to have these skills learned through other means (i.e. a move tutor) then I guess this is fine. Oh, and Dig is not an HM
Oh haha, now you've said that, i realise Dig isn't an HM haha, oops!
Well, if a Pokémon can fly, then it can fly, haha! this is also implemented in a few other games, but i like this idea, also, cut trees are stupid, never like them much, the story becomes the creators if cut trees are involved, i like freedom.

Quote:
... Elaborate? HOW have to changed these features? Are pokemon that are usually rare more common? Do gym battles have stupid requirements like in the anime? Please explain.
I'm assuming you mean, "HOW have you changed these features?" not "how to..."
Well, not exactly, common Pokémon being rare and vice versa, more, Pokémon Essentials has like a 5% encounter rate for the rarest Pokémon, but i have made Pokémon rarer and so forth... this is better played than read, when demo comes out, you will get to see yourself ... I'm not quite understanding the "stupid requirements" thing, i like things to be a challenge though! Don't get this confused with being hard...

Quote:
So, do you have to talk to the trainer first to gauge how experienced they are? I'm not quite sure what you are saying, and personally I would prefer the original system where trainers from earlier routes are weak, and then get stronger later on. While it may not be "realistic" it's done for a reason as to create a balanced difficulty curve. Alternatively, you could go down the route of Pokemon Emerald where trainers you battle become gradually available for a rematch with stronger pokemon.
that's one way to find out, but, you can also see how many badges they got if any at all... If for example, you came across someone with 4 badges, and you have a pathetic Pikachu by your side, do you challenge, realistically, no, but never the less, you still could, what's to say they don't have a team of Water and Flying Pokémon, Pikachu will almost smash this trainer to the ground...

Quote:
Sounds interesting, but how will the pokemon achieve this in-game?
I suppose in theory, it's like a Pokémon holding an item, i guess that's best way to explain that...

Quote:
Not to sound rude, but whooptie-doo? Almost every decent game I've seen made in RPG Maker has some events running through a parallel process on maps, depending on whether they are needed. It's not really a distinguished feature.

Other than that, I am highly anticipating your demo.
I no how this sounds, and your not being rude, it's almost inevitable that you would judge this game before actually playing it, i judge B/W, and i haven't played them... most of these features, plus many more, are not throughout the game, they become available as you progress through the game... Don't want to over crowd the features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolarmak View Post

Ratty524
: By "Events" I don't think she is refering to 'scripting events', I think she means like story events: festivals, small tournaments and such.
right you are hehe! But i do understand Ratty524 questioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolarmak View Post
Nickalooose: can I ask how you changed the script to remove the XP bars and Lvl text. This is definatly something I want for my game.
in PokeBattle_actualscene, search "lv{1}" around line 587, and comment that out.
and for XP Bars, around line 624, comment the line with
Code:
self.bitmap.fill_rect(@spritebaseX+expGaugeX,@spritebaseY+expGaugeY,self.exp,4,PokeBattle_Scene::EXPCOLOR)
out... then scroll down and comment out "pbSEPlay("expfull)", so you don't hear the ping when bar reaches full.
anything you want to edit after that is up to you.

Spoiler:

QUICK UPDATE

Will release more screenies to update those, that i have.
Added in-game tutorials.

Known Issues;
None (So far, until you guys start playing. haha)

Spoiler:

The Countdown Begins.

Last edited by Nickalooose; October 24th, 2011 at 07:21 AM.