View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2004 (4:09 AM).
The Manly Man of Steel
Nature: Bold
I decided to read through all the rules 'n' stuff, and there's a lot of it that I definitely dispute. These are just my rebuttals from my long (prize-winning) experience as a writer:

Originally Posted by oni flygon
-Oneshots (stories with just one chapter) should be at least 1400 words long
No way. They can be as short as you want them to be. There's no point pulling out certain stories to three times their original length. The story stagnates and becomes ultra-boring. Better to keep it simple but moving along properly.

-Always have descriptions! This is not a movie. Your readers rely on your words to "see" whats happening. The more detailed your story is, the better.
Oh no you don't. See what I wrote just above. Description is good, yes, but most people tend to overwrite and again, the story stops moving. I hate reading stories that stop moving. Action is always more important than description, except in a certain type of writing that focuses only on one very small occurrence. If you write your action properly, it serves as description as well. I can't be more specific than that - types of action often describe a person's personality. "Creeping" is different from "plodding", for example.

Dont use "said" without adverbs. "Said" is the most boring verb in any Fanfiction. Use adverbs to help out, or use alternative words like commented, asked, exclaimed and so on.
Never overuse "said." Use it only once if you have no option. Use other words such as replied, exclaimed, asked, questioned, explained, phrased, called, etc. There are many more than just that.
This is actually a much-believed myth. Don't get pulled in. As a kid I used those words a lot, before I realised they really made my writing seem overwritten. "Said", if used properly, is more poignant than many other words. Using one of the "non-said words" really wrecks the flow in some cases. What's more boring than something like...

"Hello," Ash said quickly.
"Oh, hi," May said shyly.
"Look at the stars," commented Ash. He put his hand on May's shoulder.
"Oh, wow! They're bright," exclaimed May.
"Do you like astronomy?" asked Ash.
"I love it," replied May with sparkling eyes.

That could be rewritten to sound more interesting:

Ash glanced around. "Hello."
May smiled shyly. "Oh, hi."
"Look at the stars," Ash said, resting a hand on May's shoulder.
"Oh, wow! They're bright," exclaimed May.
"Do you like astronomy?"
"I love it," said the girl, the stars reflected in her eyes.

And see, I used one adverb - and not with a "said" - only one "exclaimed", two "said"s. And that sounds much better than the one with two "adverb-said" combinations, a "commented", an "exclaimed", an "asked" and a "replied". Not that the fragment was particularly interesting in the first place, though.

Also, try to use as many adjectives in order to make your descriptions a bit more colorful.
Overuse of adjectives ruins a story. I look back at some of the writing I did as a seven-year-old fourth-grader (that received top marks) and I wince, just because of the number of adjectives.

*giggles* OK, that's enough nitpicking for now. Just tell me if you want me to pick on you more... you horrible ex-pair, you. XD *chases another ex-pair (Alex)*

"One reason why mathematics enjoys special esteem, above all other sciences, is that its laws are absolutely certain and indisputable, while those of other sciences are to some extent debatable and in constant danger of being overthrown by newly discovered facts."
Albert Einstein

"What science can there be more noble, more excellent, more useful for men, more admirably high and demonstrative than mathematics."
Benjamin Franklin

"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty – a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of paintings or music, yet sublimely pure and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."
Bertrand Russell

avatar and signature by FoxHound

ANNOY ME AT YOUR PERIL. I am becoming increasingly tired of the unmanly elitism and closed-mindedness of certain members who shall remain unnamed.