• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Items working on humans?

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
  • I been thinking about whether or not pokemon items like a Potion would work on humans.
    In my other story a Nurse Joy heals trainers and pokemon. Is this reasonable to anyone else? I figured that Potions would heal cuts and bruises while a Super Potion can take care of broken bones. The status restorers would take care of things like poison, burns, paralysis. All in all there would be a limit to what they could repair.

What are y'alls opinions?

Infiltrat0rN7

Legion
    Years
  • Hello. I'm going to try to explain things as I think of them, if you have any questions or comments though, feel free to ask for a better explanation.

In my other story a Nurse Joy heals trainers and pokemon.

It is reasonable to have a pokemon centre to have facilities to treat humans. I mean, if you're travelling in the wild, there is a high chance for your pokemon to be injured as well as you. After all, the wild is (I apologise for a lack of a better word) wild, who knows when an urasaring is going to jump out from behind a tree and maul you.

This makes having hospitals null though, doesn't it? So, what I like to do is just give a pokemon centre enough facilities to keep you alive for a while and treat minor injuries but, getting surgery and stuff would happen in a hospital.

I figured that Potions would heal cuts and bruises while a Super Potion can take care of broken bones.

Well, applying that just for pokemon seems reasonable enough.

Here comes the answer to the grand question. Would items work on humans?

I doubt it. If I have a lack of creatine, I really don't think that eating a 400mg Rejuvenate Plus tablet is going to solve my problems. Then again, if you explain it properly, (something like both kind of cells being eukaryotic, so some organelles re-occur in both species, and as a result if you use a potion stuff happens) I wouldn't mind.

The status restorers would take care of things like poison, burns, paralysis

I guess a burn cream could work across species? But, a burn heal gets rid of the burn completely, not speed up the process, so really it's like the same sort of a situation explain it well enough and it's good.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    No Antidote was a pretty good fic that had (spoilers alert) a Bulbasaur give its trainer an antidote because they were attacked by Beedrill, so the trainer also got a cut. As it turns out, the antidote gave the trainer medical problems, because he wasn't even poisoned to begin with. And it wouldn't have worked anyway, in my opinion.

Pokemon physiology is a lot more complex than humans. For one, they can control a certain type or element, which I bet gives them a stronger immune system and a stronger method of repairing damage done to their bodies. This is also what leads me to believe that Pokemon can take stronger medicines that act almost instantly upon use, whereas humans probably have to wait a bit. It's believable to have a Nurse Joy who treats both people and Pokemon. They are medical professionals anyway, but I feel like they'd have to have a ton of training for both people and Pokemon.

In any case, I don't think it's believable to have Super Potions heal bones, because bones don't exactly work that way. They're internal, so a spray won't do much. However, Potions can do wonders on sprays and bruises, so that makes sense to me. I suppose Super Potions don't make much of a big difference in my eyes. I guess what I'm trying to emphasize is that Potions are mainly directed toward Pokemon, because it's made more for Pokemon rather than human usage.

If everything's well-explained and makes sense, however, I don't particularly mind having Potions somehow heal people. But if it's 'just because' then I do mind. Sorry if I kinda went off and said completely irrelevant things. I'm exhausted.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
    Years
  • It is reasonable to have a pokemon centre to have facilities to treat humans. I mean, if you're travelling in the wild, there is a high chance for your pokemon to be injured as well as you. After all, the wild is (I apologise for a lack of a better word) wild, who knows when an urasaring is going to jump out from behind a tree and maul you.

This makes having hospitals null though, doesn't it? So, what I like to do is just give a pokemon centre enough facilities to keep you alive for a while and treat minor injuries but, getting surgery and stuff would happen in a hospital.
    My Nurse Joy story is about a Joy getting her first Pokecenter. She treats pokemon and humans. In my mind you would go to her for anything pokemon related. Like you had your head set on fire by a Charmander or was bitten by an Ekans. As opposed to burning yourself on the stove or common illness. Basically any Pokemon related injuries would be treated by a Joy and also basic first aid.

I wasn't actually thinking of having items working on humans in either of my stories, it was actually one of those middle of the night thoughts. I was hoping to get a discussion going since it seemed pretty neat to think about. Though it would be nice to beat up my OT and have a magical fix but I really don't think that would go over very well.

Pokemon physiology is a lot more complex than humans. For one, they can control a certain type or element, which I bet gives them a stronger immune system and a stronger method of repairing damage done to their bodies.
    I picture items working by basically pushing the body into hyper drive, to quickly repair damage. Side effects would be pretty interesting to think about. How would a trainer's body react to potion or such, if made for a stronger body? (I can't get the wording quite right, let me know if that sentence was clear as mud)

In any case, I don't think it's believable to have Super Potions heal bones, because bones don't exactly work that way. They're internal, so a spray won't do much. However, Potions can do wonders on sprays and bruises, so that makes sense to me. I suppose Super Potions don't make much of a big difference in my eyes.
    I keep forgetting that Potions are sprays. I look at the word "potion" and automatically think drink. That's where the bone thought came from, you would drink the Super Potion and it would knit the offending bone back together. Not painlessly, I suspect that it would hurt alot and the bone would have to already be set or else it will heal wrong and have to be rebroken.

Back