View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2012 (06:41 PM).
Honest
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Honest
Quote originally posted by Brendino:
I was doing other things while watching Raw last night, so I didn't quite catch all of it, but it looks like they're actually pulling the trigger on Punk vs. Ryback. I'm going to preface this by saying I've actually enjoyed the meteoric rise of Ryback, but I really think WWE's backed themselves into a corner here. Since the match is a Hell in a Cell with no DQ's, they're going to either have to end one of the best title reigns in recent memory, or they'll have to kill off one of the best things they have going with Ryback's undefeated streak. Any other PPV and this could have worked (just have Punk retain by DQ), but now they're left with a decision where I'm sure even Vince doesn't know what he wants to do yet.

The only thing I can think of now is that maybe Ryback will win the title from Punk, and it would be his punishment for doing that. But then again I can't see Ryback facing The Rock at Royal Rumble, which is why I think they've gotten themselves into a big mess.

EDIT: Right after posting this, I had a bit of an idea that could actually keep both runs going, and still make perfect sense. During the Cell match, Brock Lesnar (also a Paul Heyman guy), could do a run-in and start going back and forth with Ryback. During the ensuing chaos, Punk could slink out of the Cell and head to the back, while Ryback and Lesnar are still brawling. The match could then end in a no contest, and set up Ryback vs. Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series, and still give John Cena a few more weeks to heal before he takes on Punk in a rematch.

That's actually a really good way to book it, actually. However, there's two things I can think of that would make this less likely to happen, aside from the fact that the creative team isn't simply that good. Lesnar's got a limited amount of days in contract, and I think WWE would rather use him against someone with a lot more experience. Also, I think Ryback's been pushed too quickly, it's not his time.

But if it does happen, I'll be pretty psyched!