Thread: [Discussion] Plain cigarette packaging
View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2012 (03:35 AM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
It's silly. We already (rightfully) educate the youth on the dangers of smoking, and we have laws in place to restrict the sale of tobacco to those not old enough to make an informed decision about whether to start. We've also put limits on how they can advertise, preventing them from trying to lure in minors despite the age restrictions. Past that, there's no reason to restrict how these businesses choose to advertise further. If they're blatantly trying to draw in minors, then sure, penalize them for that, but just having "colorful packaging" hardly falls into that category. That's supposed to be eye-catching to ANYONE, which is the point of advertising: trying to get people to see your product.

Quote originally posted by Scarf:
I don't like smoking. I'm for anything which might make it harder for tobacco companies to stay in business because I think that until they go out of business smoking it going to be a stain on humanity, causing nothing but harm to people.
So you're suggesting that a group of businesses should be treated unfairly because you don't like their product?

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]